watched barry lyndon for the first time in like fifteen years. what a film. get the criterion blu ray if you still buy that sort of thing, the transfer restores the correct aspect ratio and it really does look beautiful, especially the candle lit scenes. might be kubrick's greatest.

I saw it for the first time recently and it's the first film in a while that has made me want to purchase a physical copy.

Btw, has anyone seen Phantom Thread yet?

yeah i saw it. it's a weird one. there's nothing notable about it. ddl is playing something close to an understated character so i'm not really sure why he's in it. i left thinking "why does this movie exist" but maybe with further viewings i'll like it more. i'd put it far below twbb, the master and obviously boogie nights. it's not as interesting as punch drunk love, it's not overblown melodrama like magnolia, and it's maybe slightly worse than inherent vice but they aren't really comparable movies. just a strange decision imo, although if pta is really an artist i guess he should do whatever he wants. it is probably his most "kubrickian" movie if that means anything to you. maybe some hitchcock in there as well, but he never explores the perversity of the movie's central relationship. at the script level, there's a lot left on the table, which i feel has been the case with everything he's done since there will be blood. 

Edited by zaphod

Hmm, interesting. It definitely seems divisive, like most of his movies. Strange that DDL chose to go out on a really understated role. Do you think it's pretty enough to warrant a theater viewing?

yeah it's fine in the theater. it was actually shot by pta afaik, not a dp. it's pretty, there's some nice scenery. make sure you have a theater that isn't going to be filled with restless assholes like my local. every pta movie i've seen has had audible negative audience reaction to the point that i've been kind of uncomfortable. the master was probably the most uncomfortable i've ever been in a theater.

edit: hi zcm! 

Edited by zaphod

yeah it's fine in the theater. it was actually shot by pta afaik, not a dp. it's pretty, there's some nice scenery. make sure you have a theater that isn't going to be filled with restless assholes like my local. every pta movie i've seen has had audible negative audience reaction to the point that i've been kind of uncomfortable. the master was probably the most uncomfortable i've ever been in a theater.

edit: hi zcm!

lol

so i saw episode 8 and i'm surprised how much i liked it. rlm shit on it. it seemed like a military movie. its cool that the scope was kind of confined to the ship under siege. glad there were no death stars. fewer blatant nostalgia pulls. maybe some people miss those or care about what this does to the over-all story, but i think johnson's approach was to just make a solid movie using the star wars universe. it felt more like the first couple lotr movies than a new star wars movie. a lot of cool cinematography, and the action sequences were better than those in the last two. probably the best since the original trilogy, imo.

Edited by very honest

I think it fucks with some expanded universe stuff that is supposed to be canon and that's supposedly why all the realfans really hate it. Apparently some people have forgotten Star Wars has always been pretty silly as well.

A Gray State 4/10

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 7/10

The Florida Project 9/10

HyperNormalisation (docu) 8/10

Lucky 6/10

Lady Bird 8/10

The Alchemist Cookbook 9/10

The Disaster Artist 8/10

Good Time - Forgot I saw this over the Xmas period. Really liked it, equal parts exciting, funny and heart wrenching. Cinematography and use of colour was really beautiful - the birds eye view scenes were also great, although the close-up shots got a bit too claustrophobic at times. OPN soundtrack was pretty good too.

Watching Mothra vs. Godzilla, haven't seen any of these old Godzillas in many years. Was not expecting tiny little toy sized ladies who take care of the Mothra egg. Wasn't expecting so many Hitler-staches. Was also surprised to see how American everyone looks...not that I assumed 1960s Japan to be everyone walking around in kimonos, but I it looks SO very America of that same period, not like Western or European or just modern, but specifically American looking styles of dress, hair, offices, etc.... maybe that was actuality or maybe that was a purposeful choice on the part of the filmmakers? Unsure.

Also was not expecting Godzilla to just jump up out of the dirt like a badass. 

Bronson - 6.5/10 - pretty good but was glad when it finished (bit of a grind, but cleverly put together) needed some fresh air and a refreshing shower afterwards 

Edited by beerwolf

The Snowman was a nice return to that 90s/2000s serial killer thriller movie they don't really make any more. shame that they ran out of time to finish it off properly (apparently a lot of the plot from the book was dropped due to time/budget constraints), was a bit of a mess, still a fun watch though.