Mindhorn was terrible.

have you seen this one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4501706/

it shouldnt have worked, but Aaaaaaaaaaah was grotesquely funny

the sex scenes, the food "aspects" with the spoof buxom tv cook Nigella piss take, the alpha male bullying his beta mate, the party & drugs sequence,Steve Oram in general, Julian B & the escalating finale....

a vastly superior comedy compared to Mindhorn

Movies

• Bridge of Spies (2015) - ★★ - Defense and exchange of spies during the Cold War. With Tom Hanks. Good, okay. 

• Election (1999) - ★ - Teacher Matthew Broderick makes the wrong decisions making things funny, sort of, sometimes. Meh. 

lol damn

it says youre from belgium which would explain you not getting election at all

Movies

• Bridge of Spies (2015) - ★★ - Defense and exchange of spies during the Cold War. With Tom Hanks. Good, okay.

• Election (1999) - ★ - Teacher Matthew Broderick makes the wrong decisions making things funny, sort of, sometimes. Meh.

lol damn

it says youre from belgium which would explain you not getting election at all

I likes me that Reese "the chin chin" Good weather spooning in this one.cf651d7ede56692ad87a6d69b8a66c93.jpg

Movies

• Paris, Texas (1984) - ★ - A father has been drifting for years when he reconnects with the left-overs of his family. Didn't feel it. 

• Bicycle Thieves (1948) - ★★ - A poor family-man gets his bike stolen. He can't work without one, so he tries to get it back, all the while his son helps and observes him closely. 

Blasphemy! Read the rules.

The Dance of Reality

file_592263_dance-of-reality-picture-8.j

I put this off for way too long as I was hoping I would be able to get it from netflix but they never decided to distribute it, or at least not in my area, so I broke down and bought the blu-ray. 23 years since Jodorowsky's last film and goddamn it was good. He's retelling his childhood here, and though I'm not familiar with his actual upbringing you get to see life through the eyes of a confused boy raised by a stern, communist revolutionary father in a country plagued by a financial crisis and living under a pinochet-style military dictatorship. Early on the father is an abusive figure, constantly torturing Alejandro in an attempt to make a man out of him, where the father himself also seems to be testing himself to prove his own manhood, which ultimately leads him on a path to assassinate the Chilean dictator. The mother, who delivers all her lines as an opera singer (apparently in real life his mom wanted to be an opera singer), is an exaggerated portrait of maternal love, and sympathizes with young alejandro as she too was a victim of the dictator in their household. All of this is communicated in a way you would expect, heavily steeped in symbolism and phantasmagorical in appearance. Alejandro himself makes a few rare appearances as a sort of spiritual guide to his younger self, offering words of encouragement, or letting the viewer know the importance of a particular moment in his life.

The whole movie is a family affair. Brontis Jodorowsky plays his grandfather and gives the most compelling performance in the film. Adán Jodorowsky plays a small role as a communist revolutionary and aspiring assassin himself but his main contribution is that he scored the film and it sounds great. Another of Jodorowsky's sons plays the Theosophist, and Alejandro's wife was a big part of the set and costume design which she did an amazing job with. All of his previous films have a magical quality to them but with this film it really jumps out of the screen at you. Visually, and even comically at times you might be fooled into thinking you're watching a Wes Anderson film until one of the characters decides to literally whip his dick out and piss on that idea. 

Overall this film feels a little more lighthearted and vibrant than some of his previous work both in terms of tone and appearance, and the symbolism here feels much easier to interpret for the most part (wtf was up with the healing scene though?). The ending scene was really incredible, as you can tell he may have expected this to be his final film. It's not. He released another one that I have shipping to my house right now. I just googled his age and holy shit, he's 88 now. How can a man of that age with such a long break from film making be so fucking lucid and realize his vision with such attention to detail. He's a master.

Edited by Hail Sagan

Good Time was a fun watch. For some reason I was expecting something more serious or introspective, but it's just a silly shallow thriller with lots of eye candy. Pretty good (time)

It's a rich text, mate.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Dug the acting (always love Sam Rockwell), and have a soft spot for films that don't treat middle America and the South as a bunch of idiots (I grew up in the South). Plot could have been a bit more interesting. 7/10.

it literally made every character in the movie borderline retarded. wth did you watch

The Dance of Reality

file_592263_dance-of-reality-picture-8.j

I put this off for way too long as I was hoping I would be able to get it from netflix but they never decided to distribute it, or at least not in my area, so I broke down and bought the blu-ray. 23 years since Jodorowsky's last film and goddamn it was good. He's retelling his childhood here, and though I'm not familiar with his actual upbringing you get to see life through the eyes of a confused boy raised by a stern, communist revolutionary father in a country plagued by a financial crisis and living under a pinochet-style military dictatorship. Early on the father is an abusive figure, constantly torturing Alejandro in an attempt to make a man out of him, where the father himself also seems to be testing himself to prove his own manhood, which ultimately leads him on a path to assassinate the Chilean dictator. The mother, who delivers all her lines as an opera singer (apparently in real life his mom wanted to be an opera singer), is an exaggerated portrait of maternal love, and sympathizes with young alejandro as she too was a victim of the dictator in their household. All of this is communicated in a way you would expect, heavily steeped in symbolism and phantasmagorical in appearance. Alejandro himself makes a few rare appearances as a sort of spiritual guide to his younger self, offering words of encouragement, or letting the viewer know the importance of a particular moment in his life.

The whole movie is a family affair. Brontis Jodorowsky plays his grandfather and gives the most compelling performance in the film. Adán Jodorowsky plays a small role as a communist revolutionary and aspiring assassin himself but his main contribution is that he scored the film and it sounds great. Another of Jodorowsky's sons plays the Theosophist, and Alejandro's wife was a big part of the set and costume design which she did an amazing job with. All of his previous films have a magical quality to them but with this film it really jumps out of the screen at you. Visually, and even comically at times you might be fooled into thinking you're watching a Wes Anderson film until one of the characters decides to literally whip his dick out and piss on that idea. 

Overall this film feels a little more lighthearted and vibrant than some of his previous work both in terms of tone and appearance, and the symbolism here feels much easier to interpret for the most part (wtf was up with the healing scene though?). The ending scene was really incredible, as you can tell he may have expected this to be his final film. It's not. He released another one that I have shipping to my house right now. I just googled his age and holy shit, he's 88 now. How can a man of that age with such a long break from film making be so fucking lucid and realize his vision with such attention to detail. He's a master.

always fun to see Jodorowsky's films appreciated, hitting the spots they're designed for & aimed at, but 88 doe? when he's gone a true visionary will have passed

it def has more whimsy & comedy (his mother's tits & singing, jesus christ) than either El Topo or The Holy Mountain, but few works of art pack as much into their assemblages as those 2 could, just goes to show the will-power the man still has to steer a ship thru such waters

have you explored his text "Psychomagic"? The title and cover font might put you off & its mainly an extended interview, but it goes into his methods, influences (he worships Leonora Carrington), life events, central & south American poetry/art, the role of healers & how he got drawn into psychotherapy..... it can drift here & there & you can never quite capture the mood of a conversation through certain styles of transcription, but recommended if Jodo gets you wet or at the very least moist

definitely time to roll out El Topo & The Holy Mountain again in the dark wintry months, so cheers for the inadvertent reminder!

have you explored his text "Psychomagic"? The title and cover font might put you off & its mainly an extended interview, but it goes into his methods, influences (he worships Leonora Carrington), life events, central & south American poetry/art, the role of healers & how he got drawn into psychotherapy..... it can drift here & there & you can never quite capture the mood of a conversation through certain styles of transcription, but recommended if Jodo gets you wet or at the very least moist

definitely time to roll out El Topo & The Holy Mountain again in the dark wintry months, so cheers for the inadvertent reminder!

I've heard of his "psychomagic" and have seen many references to tarot readings, the occult, meditation and different religions,etc. and you're right in that I'm definitely skeptical of things like that, but I still think that meditation is a powerful tool as are beliefs/spirituality and things of that nature. Methodology, be it based in spirituality or not, can be really interesting especially when you get inside the mind of someone like Alejandro. So yeah, thanks for the suggestion and maybe I'll just go ahead and grab a copy for future reading. I also saw he was behind some highly-praised comic books as well which sound intriguing.

51iZGQ911NL._SX369_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Incal is obligatory, so many other works ripped it off & plagiarized it, its incredible fun

deffo indulge this b4 Psychomagic, you're in for a real treat

Nicolas Winding Refn Says He's Not Adapting 'The Incal' After All

:(

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

cool, anyone who wafts their initials over the big screen during its opening credits isnt fit to adapt Jodo

that'd be the reverse of alchemy, turning gold into shit

When you make a picture, you must not respect the novel. It’s like you get married, no? You go with the wife, white, the woman is white. You take the woman, if you respect the woman, you will never have child. You need to open the costume and to… to rape the bride. And then you will have your picture.

Endless Poetry

giphy.gif

Picking up where the dance of reality left off a young Alejandro has left his more peaceful, coastal town of Tocopilla for Chile's far less hospitable capital city, Santiago. The stark contrast is made apparent right away, and while he and his father assault and humiliate a couple thieves they spot in their storefront Alejandro decides to steal a book from the battered thief lying on the ground. Oddly, despite all the hardship and development from the previous film the father is back to being his stern self again. The stolen book turns out to be poetry, but the father expects his son to study medicine and upon discovering his poetry quickly lets Alejandro know that the arts are for idiots and homosexuals who wish to lead a life of poverty before throwing his book off the balcony into the streets of Santiago. I won't spoil it but there's a scene where Alejandro is attempting to write his first poem that I found hilarious.

Later, at a family meeting Alejandro embarrasses his father in front of the family by admitting his dream of being a poet and after being laughed at disowns his own family. It is here that his cousin reveals his admiration of the act, and introduces Alejandro to an eccentric and eclectic group of artists

who see his potential and share his dream. And from there its basically the story of the boy taking steps towards understanding himself, gaining independence and becoming a man along with some existential crisis sprinkled in for good measure. Not gonna spoil it, though you can expect more of the same from the previous film though I felt as though the symbolism here felt a bit more convoluted than was the case in the dance of reality, which I admit I did enjoy a bit more than this. Still a great film with some truly beautiful and inspiring moments, and one I look forward to watching again in the future. I doubt it will happen and I haven't heard of any plans but I would love to see a third film, even if the rest of the family had to finish it for him. They've been with him on this entire journey. They could do it.