cool, anyone who wafts their initials over the big screen during its opening credits isnt fit to adapt Jodo

that'd be the reverse of alchemy, turning gold into shit

When you make a picture, you must not respect the novel. It’s like you get married, no? You go with the wife, white, the woman is white. You take the woman, if you respect the woman, you will never have child. You need to open the costume and to… to rape the bride. And then you will have your picture.

as such a landmark graphic novel & after Jodorowsky's near miss with Dune, Refn isnt fit to adapt the scope of Incal if his last abortion was anything to go by

its just possible that an adaptation worse than A Scanner Darkly lurks with an opus like Incal & that would be a travesty

there are much better directors to rape this specific bride, just as i'm glad James Franco never followed thru by serving the world a turd for Blood Meridian

Imagine who he would cast as Judge Holden, ouch.

what'd'y'all'mst've think of the Child of God adaptation he did? I haven't read the book but it seemed basically ok to me, not spectacular, but not a total rubbish either. I just disliked how he had to insert himself into it for art cred.

Child_of_God_poster.jpg

edit: also I can't hate Linklater's A Scanner Darkly, I mean it's my favourite book and my expectations would probably be way too high for any adaptation but he tried to do it right and it had its heart in the right place, even if it was kind of an undercooked mess. I liked the rotoscoping idea.

Edited by usagi

had a few conversations with folks down thru the years about this....what a role doe...possibly un-filmable as a novel

what'd'y'all'mst've think of the Child of God adaptation he did? I haven't read the book but it seemed basically ok to me, not spectacular, but not a total rubbish either. I just disliked how he had to insert himself into it for art cred.

Child_of_God_poster.jpg

edit: also I can't hate Linklater's A Scanner Darkly, I mean it's my favourite book and my expectations would probably be way too high for any adaptation but he tried to do it right and it had its heart in the right place, even if it was kind of an undercooked mess. I liked the rotoscoping idea.

Scanner is such an immense read, when you finish it the 1st time like a virgin it was similar to finishing Blood Meridian, ie what the fock did i just read & how long b4 i can summon the fortitude to read it again?

Child of God was ok, the lead was very good @ conveying just how isolated that character was, possibly the best work Franco's been involved with but if it had pushed the cinematography far more it could've been a stronger visual feast

Good Time was a fun watch. For some reason I was expecting something more serious or introspective, but it's just a silly shallow thriller with lots of eye candy. Pretty good (time)

I was expecting the brothers to be on the run, the relationship and dynamic between them to be explored. Maybe that's obvious or been done before, but Benny Safdie's performance is so good it's disappointing for me where the film went, which was sort of nowhere. It just ambles around like a particularly deranged night that spirals out of control, which in the moment feels real but by the end I wished it took a different route. But no one seems to be expressing the same disappointment, seems to be just me. The music and visuals are great, there's quality there, in its vibe and performances, which is what makes it more disappointing. I think maybe you expecting something more serious and introspective you share the same disappointment then, although for me i did want a thriller, just not the one it went for. Once i'd seen how good Safdie was i wanted more of that. It's just not the best film that could have been made given the premise is it ? That's the crux. I suppose it's supposed to reflect life and all the sudden routes it can take you on.

i should learn to be more succinct

The Mist (2007). 7/10

Reminded me of Hitchock's Birds. I could tel it was shot on real film. Good film. Im no film snob. Im a music snob

I watched it a couple of months ago for some reason. It’s a weird film. But they manage to make the unlikeable characters super unlikeable... so there’s that.

Apparently, Cloverfield III is a Netflix exclusive and will air tonight:

solid 6.5 or 7/10 for this one. the first half was great, and then it did the thing that every B-grade sci-fi movie has done and becomes a survival-thriller... I don't know man. same reason I hated Sunshine. Pretty, but half-baked. Also why did all the weird shit stop happening halfway through? Wasn't it supposed to get worse?

Plus given the ending, I wanted to see more about what was going down on the surface. Clovercrew needs to stop appropriating the rights to these B-movies (this one was apparently originally called The God Particle and has been in production since 2012... not a good sign) and actually write one for a change