Apparently, Cloverfield III is a Netflix exclusive and will air tonight:

solid 6.5 or 7/10 for this one. the first half was great, and then it did the thing that every B-grade sci-fi movie has done and becomes a survival-thriller... I don't know man. same reason I hated Sunshine. Pretty, but half-baked. Also why did all the weird shit stop happening halfway through? Wasn't it supposed to get worse?

Plus given the ending, I wanted to see more about what was going down on the surface. Clovercrew needs to stop appropriating the rights to these B-movies (this one was apparently originally called The God Particle and has been in production since 2012... not a good sign) and actually write one for a change 

7/10. WAY too generous. This was more like a 3.

If you haven't seen this, don't be a chump (like me) and save yourself 90 excruciating minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield_(franchise)

Apparently, Cloverfield III is a Netflix exclusive and will air tonight:

solid 6.5 or 7/10 for this one. the first half was great, and then it did the thing that every B-grade sci-fi movie has done and becomes a survival-thriller... I don't know man. same reason I hated Sunshine. Pretty, but half-baked. Also why did all the weird shit stop happening halfway through? Wasn't it supposed to get worse?

Plus given the ending, I wanted to see more about what was going down on the surface. Clovercrew needs to stop appropriating the rights to these B-movies (this one was apparently originally called The God Particle and has been in production since 2012... not a good sign) and actually write one for a change

7/10. WAY too generous. This was more like a 3.

If you haven't seen this, don't be a chump (like me) and save yourself 90 excruciating minutes.

i'm gonna be that chump and gonna watch it right now, anyway don't have any better way to spend these next 90 minutes so...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

the ritual was disappointing. they removed all the atmosphere and mystery from the first part of the book and even took out the stuff in the second half that bugged the shit out of me and managed to produce a paint by numbers generic horror film. not recommended, read the book (at least the first half of it).

yeah, pretty bad, it was cool while it was mysterious

, the first scene with the nightmares in the cabin was pretty cool but as soon as we start to hear the sound of a "monster" i lost interest... after that it just went downhill...

really? it felt like a series of vignettes. maybe that works in a movie about a museum, but i didn't feel particularly connected to it in any way. definitely not as good as force majeure.

really? it felt like a series of vignettes. maybe that works in a movie about a museum, but i didn't feel particularly connected to it in any way. definitely not as good as force majeure.

I think one of the main reasons why I like it so much is that they've nailed the people at the museum and the artists. The way they talk, the way they act, lie, make shit up, bitch behind each other's backs. And that small detail where it turns out that most of the guests are simply there for the free food is amazing. I've made music and sound design for numerous of museum installations so throughout the entire movie I was nodding and kept saying to myself, "yup, I've witnessed that. And that... and that."

Also, I love it when movies feel lie a series of vignettes. The Florida Project is a great example of this. Loved that one as well. 

Also there's this trailer for Annihilation which looks fucking great  to me. I was a fan of the books when they came out a few years ago, good weird fiction, and it looks like the movie is going to follow the weirdness unabashedly, which is very surprising but has me very hopeful. Not sure it deserves its own thread so I'll just post it here for now.

yesss so excited for this. The books are a lot of fun and I loved Ex Machina, Alex Garland was a great choice for the adaptation.

Watched The Bad Batch on netflix the other day, I loved it. Also rewatched Ravenous recently, guess I've been in the mood for cannibalism.

apparently vandermeer saw the film and really liked it, and even said it's actually more surreal and weirder than the books. doesn't seem like he'd hype things up so i'm cautiously optimistic for it. alex garland has come a long way since the beach. i remember when he supposedly got a million dollars to adapt halo into a movie...

was planning to see it in the cinema later this month, even put a reminder in the google calendar. but:

The film is scheduled to be released on February 23, 2018.[18] On December 7, 2017, it was announced that due to clashes between Scott Rudin and David Ellison, and the shift in Paramount's leadership, a deal was struck with Netflix handling international distribution. According to this deal, Paramount will handle the US and China release, while Netflix will begin streaming the film overseas 17 days later.

Due to a poor test screening, Ellison became concerned that the film was "too intellectual" and "too complicated" and demanded changes to make it appeal to a wider audience – including making Portman's character more sympathetic and changing the ending. Rudin sided with Garland in his desire to not alter the film, defending the film and refusing to take notes (Rudin also has final cut on the film).[19] In an interview with Collider a week later, Garland admitted to being disappointed by the turn of events and the deal, stating, "We made the film for cinema. I've got no problem with the small screen at all. The best genre piece I've seen in a long time was The Handmaid's Tale, so I think there's incredible potential within that context, but if you're doing that – you make it for that [medium] and you think of it in those terms. Look... it is what it is. The film is getting a theatrical release in the States, which I'm really pleased about. One of the big pluses of Netflix is that it goes out to a lot of people and you don't have that strange opening weekend thing where you're wondering if anyone is going to turn up and then if they don't, it vanishes from cinema screens in two weeks. So it's got pluses and minuses, but from my point of view and the collective of the people who made it – [it was made] to be seen on a big screen."

I think one of the main reasons why I like it so much is that they've nailed the people at the museum and the artists. The way they talk, the way they act, lie, make shit up, bitch behind each other's backs. And that small detail where it turns out that most of the guests are simply there for the free food is amazing. I've made music and sound design for numerous of museum installations so throughout the entire movie I was nodding and kept saying to myself, "yup, I've witnessed that. And that... and that."

Also, I love it when movies feel lie a series of vignettes. The Florida Project is a great example of this. Loved that one as well.

This was a fun ride. Vignettes, yes. Lots of long, awkward and fun scenes a la new Twin Peaks. The monkey man scene was one of the most awkward moments in a cinema I've experienced.

thanks for mentioning this, this was great. makes me want to read the novel if it ever gets a translation!

if you liked that one check these series, the animation and some of the themes are very similar:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1847445/

MV5BNzJiMjdlNGEtZGM1Yi00MjE1LWJlZmQtN2U3

it's a bit hard to follow if you watch it in japanese with english subs because the speech is very fast and most of the time you have 2 sets of subs on the screen. but keep with it, don't watch the english dub, i always find that the dubs are ineffective in anime... well, in everything...

dubs are actually good in anime if they have good voice actors. that way you can actually look at the art and not just read all the time

i think it looses most of its charm... japanese speaking language, even if i don't understand it, sounds pretty dope imo... everytime i change between the the audio tracks from japanese to english i get this cringeworthy feeling... but you're right about loosing most of the animation details when reading the subs, that's why i revisit anime so often... some of the series i like the most i've already watch them 2 or 3 times...