thanks for mentioning this, this was great. makes me want to read the novel if it ever gets a translation!

if you liked that one check these series, the animation and some of the themes are very similar:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1847445/

MV5BNzJiMjdlNGEtZGM1Yi00MjE1LWJlZmQtN2U3

it's a bit hard to follow if you watch it in japanese with english subs because the speech is very fast and most of the time you have 2 sets of subs on the screen. but keep with it, don't watch the english dub, i always find that the dubs are ineffective in anime... well, in everything...

Haha I actually started checking this out right after I finished the movie, that’s how much I liked it! I definitely had to pause it a couple of times to keep up with all the words on screen but I very much enjoyed the first episode.

Recently watched Arrival (sort of thoughtful Close Encounters by Blade Runner remake director Denis Villeneuve). Enjoyed it more than I was expecting- wasn't keen on Blade Runner 2049 (largely because of the lame attempt at a soundtrack: you can't beat Vangelis, so don't try....go Autechre with that shit), But i did enjoy Enemy, His breakthrough film (v. surreal).

Quite a few people I've spoken to didn't like the end (is a bit soppy), but I think it works quite well. It's subtly mind-bending.

The Johann Johannsson soundtrack is, as always, excellent. RIP 

Edited by Xyloglotte

The VVitch (2015)

203283H4.jpg

scared the absolute bejeebus outta me;

ye olde faerie tale o' late 18thC murcan fundamentalist pilgums kowtowing in semi-comprehensible lingo from dat era whilst tryna survive in woods.

gloomy af colour palette, didn't know wtf was gonna happn nxt, had nvr seen any of the actors b4, possession, levitation, vanishing babies. black metallic/10

The VVitch (2015)

203283H4.jpg

scared the absolute bejeebus outta me;

ye olde faerie tale o' late 18thC murcan fundamentalist pilgums kowtowing in semi-comprehensible lingo from dat era whilst tryna survive in woods.

gloomy af colour palette, didn't know wtf was gonna happn nxt, had nvr seen any of the actors b4, possession, levitation, vanishing babies. black metallic/10

chris finch, bloody good rep

Back2back watching Brawl in Cell block 99 and Shot Caller.

Brawl was rad. Entertaining and ridiculous, was like an 80s grindhouse movie. Lots of gore and edgy plot points (the korean business, wew)

I'm an 1hr13min into Shot Caller and I can't wait for it to be over. Takes itself very seriously but no depth or substance to back it up. Cliche ridden and boring. Constant 'profound' postrock violin soundtrack. Slow motion shanking scene *dirgy violin intensifies*.

Reminds me of Gran Torino a bit.

Good to see The VVitch get some love.  Excellent film.

I feel like the only good thing I saw last year was BR2049 and before that was Arrival (same director).  What are the really good films I'm missing?

Not settling for "it was mediocre but at least I got to forget about my shitty life for 1.5 hours".  I want a legitimately great story told well.

Yup!

Good Time and The Killing of a Sacred Deer are both amazing. I recently liked The Square and loved it!

lol, still waiting for the right mood to watch the square, but it's sitting on my hd... i think everyone loved force majeure so i'll definitely enjoy it...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Yup!

Good Time and The Killing of a Sacred Deer are both amazing. I recently liked The Square and loved it!

lol, still waiting for the right mood to watch the square, but it's sitting on my hd... i think everyone loved force majeure so i'll definitely enjoy it...

I thought I wasn't in the mood to watch it, but it immediately caught my attention and didn't let go. It's fairly long though.

jacobs ladder - hadn,t seen this for ages and i didn,t feel like watching it really,but it starts so good it sucked me in good style, some great memorable scenes all the way,the train station,vietnam flashbacks,the party scene,assassination attempts,the bath tub,the hospital/hell,bit of a weak ending but glad i stuck with it  7.5/10

Edited by sunshine recorder

still not decided on Get Out. I mean, it's not bad, but I like my horror straight and I'm not sure about injecting racial commentary into it.

Yup!

shit, I still haven't watched Killing... I have a feeling I will probably love it once I like it.

i just watched brawl in cell block 99, i could go without the somewhat fresh/sharp and smart ass dialogue but i guess in the end it did pay off, too slow for this kind of movie, needed to be a bit more campy to make it more tolerable...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Brawl's awesome. I'm glad they didn't make it campy, though it was def intentionally OTT with some of the violent bits (mannequin skull explosion).

"you just lost your minimum privileges"