Mute - 100/10

A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner, Brazil, Strange Days, Moon, Drive, Zero Theorem, Blade Runner 2049. If you've seen any of the above movies, then you will absolutely love and be thrilled with this movie. It has countless references to the above movies in so many ways that for those who haven't seen those classic dystopian films, this movie will not make much sense both story-wise and stylistically. The story-line may confuse a lot of people, but the pay-off it delivers is absolutely stunning and transcendent. The silence of the main character is a thrilling plot device in and of itself, hence the very name of the movie. I would suggest the people who had a problem with the silence of the main character watch Drive, you'll get your answers there. The run time at over just 2 hours might be daunting for a lot of people, but like Blade Runner 2049 the length of the movie is worth it given the expansive story-line and its various important and dramatic subplots. The movie requires patience, it's not flashy, it's not quick, it's a slow burn that is worth it. I have a feeling that the same folks who dislike the slow-burn have not seen or liked Blade Runner 2049 or Brazil, it's on par with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy which is highly regarded as a masterpiece in and of itself. The soundtrack is beautiful, combined with a cinematography that is absolutely spot on and perfect. Altogether, the story-line, soundtrack and cinematography deliver a powerful movie that draws from highly respected classic films and this is where it would lose most audiences because of its complex callbacks to the aforementioned movies. I agree, it's not for everyone but for those who appreciate the kind of cyber-punk dystopian, slow-burn movies listed above then you will absolutely love and enjoy this movie.

What do you make of this scathing review?

lol, what a terrible review. especially this bit:

"the barrage of inexplicable twists that closes out the film"

There was, at most, one twist, and it wasn't much of a twist seeing as it was foreshadowed pretty obviously the whole way through the film. No idea what he's on about, normal linear plot development must be too mentally tasking for this poor chap.

did i miss something in mute? i mean, most of the time i was looking at my phone looking for cool games in google play... the acting was so cringeworthy and out of place that i could't help but laugh at some dialogues... and literally, i mean, literally nothing happened in the movie...

he's looking for his girl, and then he finds her? so what? is that it? and it was so predictable that paul rudd's daughter would end up with the mute dude, i dunno... did i lost any detail? i ended up not understanding what paul rudd had to do with the girl, were they past lovers? so what?

his follow up, Invisible Waves is also really good, both films really beautifully shot, Christopher Doyle is the shit). Gozu is mental, really funny too.

will check it out, thanks for the tip :thumbsup: Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

yes. David Wain is great, haven't checked out his new one yet, the national lampoon biopic, supposed to be good tho.

specially children's hospital... this new one doesn't look like it's gonna be good i dunno i have it sitting on my hd but can't find the right motivation to watch it... i guess i'm afraid i en up disappointed with will forte's performance, looks like he's playing almost the same character as the last man on earth...

looks like he's playing almost the same character as the last man on earth...

shit, that would be annoying.

Edited by caze

did i miss something in mute? i mean, most of the time i was looking at my phone looking for cool games in google play... the acting was so cringeworthy and out of place that i could't help but laugh at some dialogues... and literally, i mean, literally nothing happened in the movie...

he's looking for his girl, and then he finds her? so what? is that it? and it was so predictable that paul rudd's daughter would end up with the mute dude, i dunno... did i lost any detail? i ended up not understanding what paul rudd had to do with the girl, were they past lovers? so what?

the girl was paul rudd's ex, and the kid was their kid. he killed her because she was trying to run off with the kid. and that's why Rudd was in such a rush to get out of the country himself.

I liked the acting, especially the back and forth between Rudd and Theroux. Skarsgard was decent too, given he had very little to work with.

how is that a cat meowing? just sounds like a high pitched whistling noise.

it doesn't sound like a cat meowing as much as it sounds like a turtle mating...

someone posted something like this before, this happens with a lot of weird samples in movies, like, i'm not sure if it was james brown's screech or something alike being mixed with explosions and shit...

I liked Mother! for the most part, the final exposition/ending whatever was really unnecessary, you knew it was coming from the get go. I wish he'd just kept it dreamlike and left it open to interpretation, I guess someone in a suit needed an ending common folks could relate to, as if they'd enjoy any of what came before.

I watched Bloodsport for the first time ever last night. Amazing. But what’s up with that cat that constantly meowing throughout the entire film?

it was the 80's. It was probably the third preset next to Orch hit on the new fangled sampler disk...

--------

babadook (2014)

fucking crap

that kid is annoying as fuck. Only good thing is it's nice stylistically. I don't know why so many people liked this film. I was waiting for it to end

Edited by marf

Assault On Precinct 13 - The Big Steal - Good Time

watched all three over the weekend. Assault is one of the less interesting Carpenter films i've watched, but good enough. everything up to the actual assault on the precinct had me hooked but i kinda zoned out after that. The Big Steal had a nice twist at the end, though it was a pretty unremarkable film noir. Good Time was a very, very good time. really tense. the OPN soundtrack is fantastic.

Edited by QQQ

the hunt for red october

i miss when films actually had scores. john mctiernan had a run from predator to this. i hope he makes films again some day.

Love that movie and have sampled the music from it before. Will give a dollar to anyone who can spot where I sampled it in my tracks (also I don't remember where I used the samples so this could be a journey for us both).

Went and saw Annihilation. Was looking forward to it since it was announced, book was good, Ex Machina was great, right? Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll that might've been a fluke....acting was all from okay ranging to good, script started well enough but then got lazy super fucking quick.

• Directing was amateur for the most, just bad and boring shots and scenes.
  • Tension and action was terribly delivered and undersold and weighed nothing and was quickly forgotten about.
  • Bad editing maybe?
  • CGI/practical effects felt amateur for 95% of the film. Casting was alright I guess but I can't help but think that was part of the problem, though (most) of the actors did okay with what they were given.
  • All over the place in terms of the tone of the film and just...god. I can't believe it got made. I really find it hard to believe anyone handed over money based on that script.
  • Bad script.
  • Bad plot, bad choices for the characters and for the film as a whole....
  • Despite being very much a weird fiction take on a sci-fi concept (based on a weird fiction book) it was STILL bogged down by the obvious sci-fi conceits we all expect (smart scientists doing inexplicably stupid things over and over and over and over).
  • About 50 fucking shots of cells dividing. Again and again and again and again.
  • Even the music was fucking phoned in.

Just nothing really to recommend about this. What it could've or should've been is what bothers me the most, I guess? It's not even that I went in expecting it to blow my mind, though I was looking forward to it, I expected it to be okay-good. Could've been fucking great though...it was just shit. Just shit.

3 Cheap Asian CGI Farms out of 10.

children of men

still incredibly good. need to do more research as to why this movie is excellent and gravity was a pile of shit

gravity was a theme park ride that somehow ended up in theaters

finally got around to watching It (2017), was perfectly serviceable popcorn flick with decent effects, was hoping for a little scarier tbh. still better than stranger things