so like, how do you watch movies where “bad” aesthetics is a stylistic decision? how do you watch old movies where the sets are all fake looking? horror from the 80s? how do you deal with bad acting, theatricality, stylized direction, dated production? do you just dismiss all this as awful? I know I’m going a long way to defend this movie, which I’ll admit didn’t look great, but I don’t understand the disconnect here. also I saw this in a theater and it looked significantly better than a rip from Netflix.

yeah this movie was visually stunning in theaters. just because they had a specifically intended color palette that you didn't like doesn't mean it was objectively "Bad"

but sure, keep on buying tickets to the avengers, that'll teach 'em

also hot tip never watch 2001 A Space Odyssey or Solaris

or you know, intelligent movies

sorry I'm cranky this morning but it's like saying BR2049 is a bad movie because it's all orange and blue when in reality it's a bad movie for many other reasons

like, not liking something is fine but jesus christ, critique it on an actual talking point not just because you watched a crappy stream

The way it looked was the whole point of the plot was it not?

It was supposed to look alien and strange and like it was changing the light and world entirely, yes. We could list literally hundreds of movies right here where we get alien/strange environments that look generally good, even if the environment the filmmaker is creating is itself supposed to be off-putting...it's done well, or at least acceptably. The alien-ness of Annihilation, to me, was not done well. It looked cheap. If the meteorite brought an alien that is designed to twist the world around it into a Sharknado film, well, fucking great job then Alex Garland. Oh, an big ole awigator wiff shark teefs SCAWY!!! AH! I'd be surprised if that's not an actual SyFy movie yet.

yeah this movie was visually stunning in theaters. just because they had a specifically intended color palette that you didn't like doesn't mean it was objectively "Bad"

but sure, keep on buying tickets to the avengers, that'll teach 'em

also hot tip never watch 2001 A Space Odyssey or Solaris

or you know, intelligent movies

Yeah, I watched it in the theater. The CGI looked like shit. I liked the intended color palette. I did not think it was executed in an acceptable way.

You're joking about the rest, right? You've gotta be.

sorry I'm cranky this morning but it's like saying BR2049 is a bad movie because it's all orange and blue when in reality it's a bad movie for many other reasons

The movie sucked anyway, even if the CGI had been amazing.

Nahhh. Br was a stylistic option like zaphod mentioned. Anihilation was bad executed, like, eq boom bass preset and dbglitch on songs... lets film all this without a dop and we'll fix it in post... like lets record this whithout any prior knowledge about microphone techniques and we'll fix it in the mix with waves presets...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the fault with the visuals lies within the budget, and not because the people involved thought this was their very finest work.

CGI must be respected or it will kill a show or film

I can't believe how much game of thrones gets away with their cgi. Its a fine tight rope they walk on that show, but it works for some reason. It could so easily not

Edited by marf

Haven't seen Annihilation yet but after Ex-Machina I can't believe that it's as bad as all that effects-wise. That was filmed on the cheap and still looked well lit / framed etc.

One thing that has surprised me recently though is the amount of big-budget movies that feature shocking, immersion-breaking CGI. In Black Panther there were a couple of bits where you had to wonder what they were thinking when they left them in. There was a trailer for A Wrinkle in Time which looked even worse.

Watched Pan's Labyrinth again yesterday and couldn't understand why a movie filmed for a fraction of the price using 12 year old tech looked so much better.

After reading some of these posts I thought Annihilation would look awful but the effects were fantastic. Watmm talking bollocks, who knew?

I was pleased they left out the tower/tunnel from the book and went with their own thing, and thought the beast and its cry was the best part of it.

Watmm talking bollocks, who knew?

the beast and its cry was the best part of it.

Yep and yep

I went to go buy the collected trilogy yesterday and they've recalled all the cool ones and replaced them with a new one because of the movie. I refused to buy it.

*autism intensifies*

watched it today, it was ok. im a bit jaded with walking into unexplained alien spheres of influence stories but enjoyed it none-the-less. i tried to find the book today but couldnt remember the authors name and didnt really fancy speaking to the fat nerd in waterstones. 

actually the last time i bought something in waterstones this guy did something hilarious, as he was waiting for the card machine to accept payment, he opened a bottle of water with like 400ml left in it, tipped it right back and slowly chugged the whole thing right in front of me, and had to say thanks and goodbye panting from fat person over-exertion and dribbling water droplets down his chest. great stuff. really awkward. 

Edited by messiaen

i watched dunkirk again. i must have been high when i saw it last summer. what a complete pile of shit. absolutely nothing to it. i hate being reductionist about things but it really is just stuka attack->britfag hits his head and dies->stuka attack->tom hardy runs out of gas and presumably dies. i've had the suspicion for a while now that nolan is a total hack only capable of empty spectacle and watching this on digital without the IMAX EXPERIENCE to pummel me into submission really drove the point home. the entire movie is cut like a trailer, just this relentless literal ticking clock soundtrack to be absolutely clear to the dumb fuck audience members that they are watching a TENSE WAR MOVIE. people always compare nolan to kubrick and i don't know why. the movies don't look anything like each other, kubrick probably overestimated his audience's ability to comprehend a movie, and nolan's entire career is built on filming every movie like it's batman. he's much closer to michael bay. there are moments in dunkirk that are kind of surreal in that unimaginative way that inception was; the orderly lines of men waiting on the beach feel a bit like a magritte painting although compared to the same scenes in atonement, which was like the polar opposite in its almost video game cut scene tracking shot, it feels sterile and empty. is that supposed to communicate isolation? why is this movie so small scale? why not tell the story of all the french guys who brought up the rear and got slaughtered or captured by the germans? every nolan movie since the dark knight has done the same thing. exposition heavy script that carefully guides the audience through each story beat while hans zimmer's score tells them exactly what to feel at literally every moment, bland cinematography, distracting aspect ratio changes because for some reason shooting half your movie in imax makes you an auteur, characters who represent emotions, weird conservative christian subtext and a complete lack of sexuality on any level. his only good movie is the prestige. every sleight of hand trick in the script works because the movie is actually about the only thing nolan is good at, tricking an audience into believing he's the real thing.

Annihilation - looked like a paint-ball colour scheme run amok, has a few moments but i dunno how to spoiler t'ings so there you are now

Star Wars The Last Jedi - like a bad Meccano skeleton with audio files & design standards from past films stuck on. Telepathy moments = cool, cute animals = bbq the cunts or at the very least turn em into the equivalent of pork rinds/scratchings, that shit would sell fuck loads