books are better for sci-fi i think. using your imagination is 1000% more effective than any FX budget. 

no. using your own imagination is basically replacing the artist, it's stupid. i guess there's stuff that you can't do in film, but where images, sound and the sense of experience matters (like pretty much all the time) books are quite inept. it's mostly the technical/cost issues that are the reasons for the common "oh, but you can't really compare a film to a book" book hipster retorts. films to books is  like notation to actual, recorded musical performance.

books are better for sci-fi i think. using your imagination is 1000% more effective than any FX budget.

no. using your own imagination is basically replacing the artist, it's stupid. i guess there's stuff that you can't do in film, but where images, sound and the sense of experience matters (like pretty much all the time) books are quite inept. it's mostly the technical/cost issues that are the reasons for the common "oh, but you can't really compare a film to a book" book hipster retorts. films to books is like notation to actual, recorded musical performance.

So you hate films, and really hate books. This is fucking funny.

no. using your own imagination is basically replacing the artist, it's stupid. i guess there's stuff that you can't do in film, but where images, sound and the sense of experience matters (like pretty much all the time) books are quite inept. it's mostly the technical/cost issues that are the reasons for the common "oh, but you can't really compare a film to a book" book hipster retorts. films to books is  like notation to actual, recorded musical performance.

this is one of the dumbest things i've ever read on the internet

I watched Annihilation. I thought it was fantastic. the climax sequence was well idm. some minor missteps that didn't detract from the overall opus. will rewatch soon and pick up the Southern Reach books. props for effortlessly and seamlessly presenting a female-led film, it left absolutely nothing to say on that front.

Really looking forward to seeing this again when there's a version without that shitty Netflix compression artifacting available.

Really looking forward to seeing this again when there's a version without that shitty Netflix compression artifacting available.

I didn’t notice any artifacting at all and I don’t even have the 4K subscription to Netflix?

I don't know, looked almost like a low bitrate 720p rip to me, almost. No detail or sharpness, particle effects and dark scenes were all mush and blockiness. Kind of sticks out when you're watching on a 90 inch screen.

90 inch screen.

oh my, that's 2,3 meters, it's bigger than a human!  :ohmy: no wonder you can see all the compression artifacts... i guess only a raw bluray is flawless on a tv that big...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

I don't know, looked almost like a low bitrate 720p rip to me, almost. No detail or sharpness, particle effects and dark scenes were all mush and blockiness. Kind of sticks out when you're watching on a 90 inch screen.

I’m watching Cabin Fever right now on Netflix and that movie is pixelated as shit. It’s like watching a 240p video on YouTube

also depends on your browser if you're watching it on a computer. safari and edge are the only ones that can display above 720p. they also like to put sd rips of movies on their service. even a blu ray can have compression artifacts. only way to be sure is to hire the cast and crew and have them act out the movie in your home, i can give you a number and rates if you need it.

Netflix can lower stream quality to accommodate heavy traffic or stalled internet bandwidth. Check your settings.

I think it's just a bad looking movie.

Yeah, everything else looks ok, there's something weird with this encode.