You must really love that CGI, eh?

You must really love that CGI, eh?

lol

the CGI in Annihilation is better than sex with an actual alive human

I liked how it looked.

But then again I'd happily tug myself off over images like this

article_im488_lsd.jpg?itok=2GfXz7c8

Haven't seen Annihilation yet but after Ex-Machina I can't believe that it's as bad as all that effects-wise. That was filmed on the cheap and still looked well lit / framed etc.

One thing that has surprised me recently though is the amount of big-budget movies that feature shocking, immersion-breaking CGI. In Black Panther there were a couple of bits where you had to wonder what they were thinking when they left them in. There was a trailer for A Wrinkle in Time which looked even worse.

Watched Pan's Labyrinth again yesterday and couldn't understand why a movie filmed for a fraction of the price using 12 year old tech looked so much better.

After reading some of these posts I thought Annihilation would look awful but the effects were fantastic. Watmm talking bollocks, who knew?

I was pleased they left out the tower/tunnel from the book and went with their own thing, and thought the beast and its cry was the best part of it.

Watmm talking bollocks, who knew?

the beast and its cry was the best part of it.

Yep and yep

I went to go buy the collected trilogy yesterday and they've recalled all the cool ones and replaced them with a new one because of the movie. I refused to buy it.

*autism intensifies*

Completely understandable.

Colossal. Colossal pile of shit. Which was a shame cause I really enjoyed time crimes.

C81MFH9WsAA46Mz.jpg

Edited by perunamuussi

watched it today, it was ok. im a bit jaded with walking into unexplained alien spheres of influence stories but enjoyed it none-the-less. i tried to find the book today but couldnt remember the authors name and didnt really fancy speaking to the fat nerd in waterstones. 

actually the last time i bought something in waterstones this guy did something hilarious, as he was waiting for the card machine to accept payment, he opened a bottle of water with like 400ml left in it, tipped it right back and slowly chugged the whole thing right in front of me, and had to say thanks and goodbye panting from fat person over-exertion and dribbling water droplets down his chest. great stuff. really awkward. 

Edited by messiaen

i watched dunkirk again. i must have been high when i saw it last summer. what a complete pile of shit. absolutely nothing to it. i hate being reductionist about things but it really is just stuka attack->britfag hits his head and dies->stuka attack->tom hardy runs out of gas and presumably dies. i've had the suspicion for a while now that nolan is a total hack only capable of empty spectacle and watching this on digital without the IMAX EXPERIENCE to pummel me into submission really drove the point home. the entire movie is cut like a trailer, just this relentless literal ticking clock soundtrack to be absolutely clear to the dumb fuck audience members that they are watching a TENSE WAR MOVIE. people always compare nolan to kubrick and i don't know why. the movies don't look anything like each other, kubrick probably overestimated his audience's ability to comprehend a movie, and nolan's entire career is built on filming every movie like it's batman. he's much closer to michael bay. there are moments in dunkirk that are kind of surreal in that unimaginative way that inception was; the orderly lines of men waiting on the beach feel a bit like a magritte painting although compared to the same scenes in atonement, which was like the polar opposite in its almost video game cut scene tracking shot, it feels sterile and empty. is that supposed to communicate isolation? why is this movie so small scale? why not tell the story of all the french guys who brought up the rear and got slaughtered or captured by the germans? every nolan movie since the dark knight has done the same thing. exposition heavy script that carefully guides the audience through each story beat while hans zimmer's score tells them exactly what to feel at literally every moment, bland cinematography, distracting aspect ratio changes because for some reason shooting half your movie in imax makes you an auteur, characters who represent emotions, weird conservative christian subtext and a complete lack of sexuality on any level. his only good movie is the prestige. every sleight of hand trick in the script works because the movie is actually about the only thing nolan is good at, tricking an audience into believing he's the real thing.

could you condense that

Annihilation - looked like a paint-ball colour scheme run amok, has a few moments but i dunno how to spoiler t'ings so there you are now

Star Wars The Last Jedi - like a bad Meccano skeleton with audio files & design standards from past films stuck on. Telepathy moments = cool, cute animals = bbq the cunts or at the very least turn em into the equivalent of pork rinds/scratchings, that shit would sell fuck loads

i watched dunkirk again. ... why is this movie so small scale? why not tell the story of all the french guys who brought up the rear and got slaughtered or captured by the germans?

Completely agree. You summed it up nicely. I bet Nolan films his children's birthdays (I don't know/care if he's got any) by pointing the camera at the ceiling and taking some napkin close-ups instead of everything else.

Watched Annihilation and thoroughly enjoyed enjoyed the odd/unexplained otherworldly fantasy elements. 

I've seen Ex Machina too and thoroughly enjoy the feel evoked by that too.

Does anyone have any other Scifi/fantasy recs of this kind for me to explore? I've seen Stalker already if that's one people may mention - Loved it.

Watched Annihilation and thoroughly enjoyed enjoyed the odd/unexplained otherworldly fantasy elements. 

I've seen Ex Machina too and thoroughly enjoy the feel evoked by that too.

Does anyone have any other Scifi/fantasy recs of this kind for me to explore? I've seen Stalker already if that's one people may mention - Loved it.

Under the Skin maybe?

Seen that and love it yeah; that's very much the vibe I enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Ovitus

Midnight Special was good, with the ET vibes. Maybe Coherence?

Coherence is interesting but be prepared... it’s very indie.

Midnight Special was ok but it overstayed its welcome... and that ending. Also, I don’t think it has the dark vibes that Polytrix is looking for.

If you're gonna go indie I'd take Primer over Coherence.

Not seen Midnight Special yet, pretty sure I have it on a hd somewhere....

Guest Ovitus

Right, Midnight Special was not as ominous as the those other films. I know the vibe he's talking about though.

Beyond the Black Rainbow has been listed here x1000.. It's very dark and cinematography is very Kubrick. Probably best bet right now is go watch some of the better Black Mirror episodes, although they deal with technology advancement and dystopia moreso then alien encounters.

I second his recommendation request though. All I can think of atm is classic like Close Encounters of the 3rd kind or something like the ending of Contact. Need more DMT inspired films.

Moon? Enemy? Predestination? Triangle?

Some of these are not as good as the others.

Thank you!! Keep the recs coming.

Yeah I like Black Mirror a lot but I prefer stuff which is otherworldly rather than socio-critical (I'm not sure if that's a word but you get me!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moon? Enemy? Predestination? Triangle?

Some of these are not as good as the others.

Not seen Predestination, is that the not as good one?

Moon and Triangle are my fave genre of movie. The missing-episode-of-90s-Outer-Limits genre.