I wonder why they spend so much time and energy and money into making bad films. Hiring actors, setting up expensive film gear, making incredible CGI etc. but the final result is cheesy and underwhelming and features a boring story line. "Annihilation" is a good example. Why?

Huh, I really liked Annihilation too. It's really my kind of sci-fi. Ended up buying the book and I think I wanna see director's other stuff. Hope I can see it again before it's out of the theatre. I don't get the hate here for it, but I guess the new season of Twin Peaks got a lot of hate too so apparently I need to take WATMM's cinematic opinions with a big grain of salt.

How much effort did it require to 'hack the truth'?

I was messing with you

@sweepstakes

I liked parts of the film too. The CGI was pretty cool and the idea wasn't bad but it was in the end a very cliché holliwood action movie, that disappointed me

Edited by darreichungsform

We Bought a Zoo - A feel good film about a family's struggle to enslave animals. 4/10

Downsizing - Wish I could downsize this film.

Yeah, so I'm half way through this and posting a review purely to make that terrible joke. It takes the most absurd idea and makes it as stimulating as watching an old man very slowly water some plants. Really tested to use vlc's playback option to speed it up. Everyone will speak like a chipmunk but it got me through Les Miserables over 3 days, and i want to get through this tonight. I keep winding it back because somehow i feel like I didn't get the most out of the Matt Damon stretching a woman's leg scene. Sleep inducing, nigh insomnia curing.

Finished. How did this film get away with its racist caricatures of anyone European or Asian? It's like with Gervais' Derek, somehow if you smother your offensive reduction in sentimentality no one cares to notice. 2/10

Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle - Loved the original Jumanji at the time and it still is one of my favourite Sunday background tv watches. Jumanji, The Mask, and Men In Black are all original classics not been surpassed by any live action family entertainment films of the 21st century.

Found the over reliance on them using their strengths and weaknesses for jokes (and forced emotion) a bit grating, really, as well as the references to the quirks of videogames which felt too easy. It was still occasionally funny and fun, but very much an expected modern film; looks like a TV show, devoid of visual flavour, the CGI is so predictably shit you wonder why then even bother anymore, the villain is a waste of space.

This is nowhere near the original. It discards all the interesting ideas in terms of being trapped inside this nightmarishly dangerous jungle that the cartoon expanded on. I mean, in this you get a gang of bikers leaping over a hill in chase, it's not exactly evocative. A million miles away from a burning hot, lush insect filled jungle of real mystery. There's no turns, no attempts at cheating that further express the grander sense of being trapped, no puzzling clues in those tentative suspenseful moments as you wonder what horror it's referring to before you realise what havoc they've wreaked on their quiet town, no escalating anarchy. It discards the whole premise of the original so i will stop there.

Maybe what they did is a better approach than just repeating, if you're really into the obvious character development where they jump into another body and are able to express qualities they suppressed as their real selves in the real world. 5/10

Thor: Ragnarok - I came for the Taika Waititi and left thinking Korg was the best thing that had ever been in a Marvel film and the best thing that will ever be in a Marvel film. Complaining about the film trying too hard to be funny doesn't make sense to me because if it wasn't for the humour there wouldn't be anything there. 5/10

Mute - Central relationship at the beginning is so trite it made me wonder if Duncan Jones' whole desire to make this film was because he found it poignant and moving. [sort of like how David Fincher's old man who grew up with young girl, he de-ages, she ages, at some point they meet isn't it moving no actually it's creepy. That..except none of the evident technical skill in the execution.] Mute man who carves dolphins out of wood with dangerous woman who disappears and despite being unconvincingly mocked wherever he goes by Noel Clarke and that guy who used to be Eastenders he's committed to finding her. And was that Charlie from Lost?

And paedophillia was added to be edgey and dark.

Feels more like the pilot of a TV show than a film, and if it was I'm sure the critic response would be more positive, suggesting 'if you just cut out nearly everything there's a decent show in here'.

I had a break an hour in knowing there was an hour left yet it seemed to find an extra 15 minutes two times when I was sure it would end, like a magic trick. The more it went on the more flashbacks I got to The Snowman. 2/10

The Snowman - I thought The Mummy would win the Best Shot Worst Film Of The Year award, but this out bores it.

It wasn't the execution but the material that I thought was terrible. I don't know why so many good actors were attracted to a nothing script, in such peripheral nothing roles. I like thrillers for their mystery, suspense, procedural nature. Fassbender beautifully shot sat all cool in a library smoking a cigarette. But equally I can find myself not caring about the mystery because it's never ever as interesting or intriguing as the film thinks. And mysteries like these seem to be popular when people read them as books.

Sometimes a film is so boring you have to resist the urge to eat biscuits while you watch, because the act of crunching food is more stimulating than the visual tedium in front of you, and it is a resistance when your stomach is so full just the thought of eating anything makes you feel sick. A film so boring you ache with the awareness of every living thing, you just want an endless void to swallow you up and obliterate your mind from being conscious because that is the only way to cleanse your soul from being molested by such tedium. A film so boring it challenges whether being free to make whatever art you want should be allowed, because it lures you in and exploits your faith that all the people involved wouldn't just waste their presence for no reason. A film so boring it could be a dramatized true account of my own life, revealed to me for the first time upon waking up from a deep coma not knowing who I am or what my history is, and I'd still not care one iota. 2/10

it’s because it’s very easy you can probably smoke a pot and then think: “awesome” while watching Blade Runner. It’s like a Winamp screensaver basically. Personally I find this film really boring, how can you sit thru it repeatedly? No thanks

You hate the film but cannot ever stop going on and on about it. Gollum went through this with the one ring. He loved and loathed the ring as he loved and loathed himself. You got to see this film on the optimum format of a phone screen and in the cinema and on dvd. You have tried to enjoy it but ultimately its led to resentment. Looking forward to you reflecting on this film more in the future.

it’s because it’s very easy you can probably smoke a pot and then think: “awesome” while watching Blade Runner. It’s like a Winamp screensaver basically. Personally I find this film really boring, how can you sit thru it repeatedly? No thanks

You are welcome. Blade Runner just looks beautiful. Every frame could be an award winning photograph. I like that it's slow and atmospheric. Whats wrong with Winamp visualization?

Best F®iends: Not what I was expecting. It's directed, written, produced mostly by others and feature Tommy and Greg. Felt a lot like one of those weird thrillers you might see at 2am on Cinemax in the late 90s. Vaguely creepy settings and weird plot. Also they seem to just kinda let Tommy improvise his lines throughout so a lot of the scenes kinda felt like a regular movie but some weirdo homeless guy had infiltrated and started rambling. Gets pretty Lynchian in the final scene (or as much as something like this can be). There will be a second part in June.