I agree with Eugene on this one. For a good portion of the film I thought, oh wow somebody actually made a profound horror film without resorting to dumb clichés and tropes, and then I thought, oh right here they come... It still was pretty damned good, but damn son, it could've been so much better.

Really, the 2 things that stuck with me the most about this one were...

A: The mom realizing what is happening, but unable to stop her self decapitation due to the demon still controlling her body. I wasn't sure if my take on that scene was correct, but the director pretty much confirmed it in an interview somewhere.

B. The Grandma was quite the complete bitch. Sacrificing herself, daughter & granddaughter that is. Or was it more her cult that turned out to be some straight assholes. hand-in-hand I guess.

Edited by olo

hereditary -  some people here (who won't be named) are definitely overhyping this. apart from the truly masterful and horrifying sequence of the accident and the aftermath it's pretty much a horror kitchen-sink of a film. you got pretty much every non-normie horror ingredient thrown in and a scene to work it. it gradually loses the thematic stuff and becomes a kind of an amusement park house of horrors thing rather than something that really gets under your skin. it's effective and well made and all that, and numerous bricks were admittedly shat, but despite throwing some crumbs with hints of ambition for something more significant and deeper in the first half, ultimately it doesn't leave you with anything but those pretty superficial thrills.

for a genre that's completely lost its way, i thought it was pretty good

there are a couple of sketchy plot developments initially that don't help, but the portrayal of the family's accumulation of collective grief was summat else, add the disintegration of trust with blame being flung everywhere, the colour scheme that starts with very vivid greens that move into that cyan/turquoise/red room representations & mood, followed by the crimson tide of all endings......it's a solid ambitious film & Ann Dowd rocks the fuck out of tings....maternal & compassionate when she's introduced.... then jesus fkn christ

keep in mind you completely dismissed one of the more fully realized films in recent memory with You Were Never Really Here & think that new Ali-G bs has something relevant to say

fkn kids

Edited by cwmbrancity

why did you have to use "like", are you Merkin & all out of Buffy repeats?

its called humour, with a fkn "u" + a dollop of mixed colloquial slang

& last but not least:

intheloop-3_3305.jpg

i've had hemorrhoids with more insight than you mate

Edited by cwmbrancity

Barfly - surprisingly pleasant! Was expecting Mickey Rourke's character to turn into a misogynist scum bucket at any minute but it just floats along at a gradual pace and illustrates a slice of life. Very little to it, but thats what makes it so strong. Odd Cannon release, but a nice addition to it's catolgoue of fun.

The Void - some kewl sci-fi Lovecraftian/Mobius stuff, but felt a bit tacked on, would have been nicer if it developed that side more than the first halves mystery/thriller side. Great to see practical FX and 'Thing' inspired body horror.

Mother

Absolute shit. Allegory high brow whatever you want to say.,. I don't care. Shit

I can respect the fact that he made the movie he wanted but you're right. It's hot garbage.

Barfly - surprisingly pleasant! Was expecting Mickey Rourke's character to turn into a misogynist scum bucket at any minute but it just floats along at a gradual pace and illustrates a slice of life. Very little to it, but thats what makes it so strong. Odd Cannon release, but a nice addition to it's catolgoue of fun.

Barfly is a classic. I was unemployed and drinking heavily around 12 years ago and entered into a major bukowski phase. Read all his shit, watched barfly all the time, and basically tried to live like Mickey rourke's character. Looking back it was pretty juvenile but fun while it lasted! Also I remember the movie was really hard to find back then. I rented it from blockbuster and they had an option to buy it for like $20 so that's how I got a copy. People on the imdb boards were having to buy Greek or Belgian subtitled versions or find it on vhs to be able to watch it.

Recently watched Mortal Kombat for the first time since 1994. It's god awful, but the editing is kind interesting. It seems like a lot of 90s movies happen like little vignettes that are stitched together rather than editing now where many things are very defined and literal. Sometimes you will just find yourself in a different scene and there's little explanation as to why or how they got there. The editing is probably just real shitty, though.

The Void - some kewl sci-fi Lovecraftian/Mobius stuff, but felt a bit tacked on, would have been nicer if it developed that side more than the first halves mystery/thriller side. Great to see practical FX and 'Thing' inspired body horror.

The only time I saw that movie was when I blacked out on my 25th birthday. Came to with that on in my neighbor's living room with some girl on me.

Barfly is a classic. I was unemployed and drinking heavily around 12 years ago and entered into a major bukowski phase. Read all his shit, watched barfly all the time, and basically tried to live like Mickey rourke's character. Looking back it was pretty juvenile but fun while it lasted! Also I remember the movie was really hard to find back then. I rented it from blockbuster and they had an option to buy it for like $20 so that's how I got a copy. People on the imdb boards were having to buy Greek or Belgian subtitled versions or find it on vhs to be able to watch it.

Did you ever find your Faye Dunaway? :cisfor:

Interestingly enough, reading up on it after watching - there's a scene where the camera tilts up and shows her naked legs, sort of a POV from Mickey's perspective, twas' shot on her insistance and wasn't in the script. Worked for me :wub:

It's on the UK/Ireland Netflix at the moment if anyones interested - might also be on the US

Did you ever find your Faye Dunaway? :cisfor:

Ha! Yeah I was involved with a girl back then who was a total mess. I'd be having coffee in the morning to help recover from the previous night and she'd be having vodka for breakfast. I think she ended up in rehab after we parted ways.

Totally right about the leg scene, Bukowski added it for Dunaway and also added the dialogue about her being short on brains because apparently he didn't like her. And he added the scene with Rourke talking to the mirror after getting gashed in the head because he thought Mickey was doing such a great acting job.

Edited by zero

Rourke as Bukowski one of the greatest miscasts of all time. Rourke irish american playboy hard nut plays american alcoholic deadbeat with a bit of IQ. He plays him like a deranged drunk annoying twat spewing sentences like vomit. Unwatchable.

Ah, Rourke's always good!

The Blob (1988)

Holy moly, this was excellent! Great body horror/melt escapades - never really skimps on the money shots. Good fun guaranteed!