Suspiria (2018)

It was ok. Gorgeous to look at, amazing sound design, Thom Yorke’s soundtrack works better than I had expected, but it tries too hard and didnt manage to lure me into its trap. Also, Chloe Grace Moretz was really bad.

The make up on Tilda Swinton when she plays the old guy is amazing! It fucks up when she tries to eat and cry but how are they able to transform a middle aged woman into an old man WAY more convincingly than when they tried transforming Guy Pearce into an old man in Prometheus? Swinton trying to talk in an old man’s voice was kinda terrible though. So much of it was dubbed so why didn’t they just get an old German man to dub it?

Oh no, that's disappointing. I'll take it as an extended music video then, much like the original.

Oh no, that's disappointing. I'll take it as an extended music video then, much like the original.

It's worth watching, but I'm not sure where the hype stems from? My friend loved it though. But I think he had made up his mind before the movie started.

Chloe Grace Moretz was really bad.

her entire career is a befuddling mystery.

I've only ever seen her in Kick-Ass and she was perfectly fine in that. Nicolas Cage stole that movie though.

she is so fucking ugly lol

Hahaha, what are you? 13?

thinking someone is ugly means you’re a teenager?

What does it have to do with anything? And why is it relevant?

(no need to answer these questions because this discussion will lead to absolutely nothing ;) )

They Shall Not Grow Old

To mark the 100 year end of WW1 a load of the old footage has been modernised in full colour with speech added that could be gathered from the films. It's absolutely incredible to see, really helps give you more of a feeling of what it could have been like back then. Narration throughout of the people who were there.

Incredibly moving

It's on iPlayer for the next week for peeps who can get it. I highly recommend you do if you can.

this

was mindfucked when the film speed slowed to "normal" & colour introduced, the pacing, witness testimonies, utterly eerie & spellbinding w/out the element of voyeurism that can creep into war/trauma coverage

Honeslty some parts felt like a bad acid trip. 

Those faces of the soldiers which became distorted (I'm guessing due to the frame rate conversion) paired with those horrific images of bodies entangled in barbwire. Then you had the (for some reason) super fast voice overs, just like a barrage of voices, the editing never let up. 

was fucking crazy and made me feel uncomfortable but in an enjoyable way. 

ww1, embarrass and decimate Germany. Raise their need for nationalism , invoke a secret re-armament to an unheard of pace, and create a military the French could never hope to ever fight. No one was ready for that.

Newton's laws of motion. 

​Would be nice to see in the theater. Haven't been to a theater in years

Edited by marf

I definitely don’t think Chloe Grace Moretz is ugly. I think she’s more attractive than Alicia Silverstone in her prime. Busy Phillips is someone I would dare call ugly.

I rewatched A Beautiful Mind for the first time in many years and it’s like a Lifetime channel movie for old people. Jennifer Connelly tho. I was thinking how even if I was dead broke I’d get her so pregnant and not even GAF

re They Shall Not Grow Old:

I've also been working my way through The Great War, the 1964 BBC doco series which is uploaded in full here (thanks Manju), and it's amazing to see some of the raw unaltered footage (albeit with loss of fidelity from conversion, ripping, uploading to youtube etc.) alongside PJ's footage. same thing with the audio clips from veteran interviews.

one important point about PJ's project that should be stated more clearly is that it's not meant to be a fully accurate or well-rounded representation of the war. he's been quoted as saying it's not really a WW1 doco in that it's not about the war itself but rather seeing things through the eyes of the soldiers (and British ones only at that). so it comes out as being quite impressionistic and less journalistic or documentary, and is also free from political considerations. some of the old boys will be saying things like "I was glad to be there" and "I'd do it all over again" because that was the spirit they went into it with, and that's what the film sets out to capture, their sentiments and feelings and not the merits or flaws of the war itself. people who are looking for facts to inform their views on the latter will not find help here, but that's fine. the facts are pretty indisputable and well understood. it was a conflict of extreme, needless suffering.

I definitely don’t think Chloe Grace Moretz is ugly. I think she’s more attractive than Alicia Silverstone in her prime.

Read some of her interviews... You'll find her to be a self indulgent, superficial, flip/floppy bitch real quick.

Saying she's ugly won't be too far behind.

**edit**

I guess flakey would have been better than flip/floppy... But I'm drunk and saying flip/floppy is fun for me right now.

Edited by Hk47

idk why you would compare it to any of his previous works really, it's not a "Peter Jackson film". kinda lol'd at the idea of comparing WW1 archival footage with Bad Taste.

It could've been a six hour slog, I'm not comparing the two at all. That was a previous post where I pointed out that he's been making shit movies.