Hereditary.png

good story, but hammy acting - the thoroughly unlikeable characters made u want 'em 2 cop it lol.

predictable suburban horror trope camerawork & sound.

had the DVD on x8 ffwd the most of it. 

90s Supernatural Gothic Horror films are so good! Stigmata sequel Bringing Out The Dead has Patricia Arquette reprise her role but this time as an undercover woman of the night. Scorsese really adds to the original IMO.

90s Supernatural Gothic Horror films are so good! Stigmata sequel Bringing Out The Dead has Patricia Arquette reprise her role but this time as an undercover woman of the night. Scorsese really adds to the original IMO.

Lost Souls.

I know it's 2000... But it basically encapsulates most of the 90's supernatural goth horror that was running rampant throughout the decade.

I worked at a movie theatre when it was released and begged the manager to let me take home the movie poster after we stopped showing the film.

=P

End Of Days was another one... And Dracula 2000...

Damnit... I have to dig out my box of old DVDs from storage soon. You guys have made me all nostalgic.

=X

Lost Souls.

I know it's 2000... But it basically encapsulates most of the 90's supernatural goth horror that was running rampant throughout the decade.

I worked at a movie theatre when it was released and begged the manager to let me take home the movie poster after we stopped showing the film.

=P

End Of Days was another one... And Dracula 2000...

Damnit... I have to dig out my box of old DVDs from storage soon. You guys have made me all nostalgic.

=X

Forgot that one. Ben Chaplin who seemed to have moved over to LA at that point with the original 80s cult woman. I have seen that film once but will try to watch it tomorrow. Cheers for the heads up.  

MV5BODYxOTNjOTctZjFlZS00ZGIzLWIzMTctNjY2

i believe the last film i watched that was this good was embrace the serpent. this was that level of brilliance- raw, beautiful, honest and just amazing. i did watch an early version of earthquake bird last year that "sort of" comes close to this but that was a heavily incomplete version of what is supposed to come out.

this, in my opinion, was nothing short of genius.

9.5 angry singaporean dames from the 80s out of 10

Watched the new restoration of Andrei Rublev (my all-time favorite film). First time I'd ever seen any cut of the film in a theater. Theater was packed, which was a pleasant surprise.

Now for my controversial take...I hate this cut of the film. I also hate the sudden insistence from many that "Tarkovsky preferred this cut". The social context behind it (i.e. Soviet censorship pressure) makes this argument very hard to take at face-value. The history behind the U.S.S.R. trying to prevent this film from being seen after its completion only enforces that doubt.

But if you want demonstrative evidence, try this:  

The first scene with the Jester. At the end of the Jester's joke, he does a handstand to reveal his bare ass with a smiley face drawn on it. The restored cut takes the nudity away. It also neuters the joke.

I've noticed that all advocates for this cut ignore this moment entirely, focusing solely on the animal shots (which, sure, I can see why people would prefer their removal). However, the spoiler'd cut, that was just prudishness to the detriment of the film. Essentially, I've seen a whole lot of advocacy for censorship.

Edited by Taupe Beats

Saw Neil Breen's Twisted Pair last night at the Prince Charles Cinema. It was everything I'd hoped it would be and more.

Mate, what is this? Just had a google and still not too sure, some kind of The Room deal?

Watched Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread recently, really liked it, great love story with a bite, and the Johnny Greenwood soundtrack was nice. Not the biggest Radiohead fan but he did an excellent job with the soundtrack. If anyone likes The Big Lebowski and the Coen bros version of True Grit, I recommend Hell or High Water, really solid fun film and the stakes are pretty high with the plot line but this doesn't become apparent until the last act, the film seduces you into a nice, lighthearted, fun time with lots of swashbucklin' shenanigans but then BAM! serious ethical question. All in all a fun ride with Jeff Bridges playing the dude but not a deadbeat and in West Texas. I also decided it was time for my once-a-year treat of rewatching Videodrome. 

"North America is getting soft, Patron. And she's gotta be tough."

Saw Neil Breen's Twisted Pair last night at the Prince Charles Cinema. It was everything I'd hoped it would be and more.

Mate, what is this? Just had a google and still not too sure, some kind of The Room deal?

Pretty much. The screening was a riot. So much cheering/people pissing themselves laughing. He first popped up on most people's radar when RLM watched Double Down:

Or if you don't want it spoiled (kinda impossible to spoil when the 'plot' is this bewildering/non-existent) the whole thing is here

Then there's Fateful Findings. Chatmm sync'd this in Plug a year or two back. Some taster scenes:

With Twisted Pair, he's only gotten better/worse. He's fully embraced green screen and CGI now. It was fucking amazing/bewildering

Edited by hello spiral

btw anyone seen this?

MV5BZjQ4NTdiMGUtMGNhYS00ZWMyLTg0MDQtNjFh

Nope - after The Disaster Artist I felt like Tommy Wiseau ended up where he wanted (on the stage at the Golden Globes) and the whole thing died after that. I know he had pretended that The Room was supposed to be a comedy for a lot of years, but the extra amount of self-awareness "The Disaster Artist" threw into the mix just killed it for me.

Suspiria.png

this was a little bit of a train-wreck; and at a running time of 2hrs 26min you really better immerse me in an interesting world. that doesn't happen here. the problem is besides the main girl (dakota johnson's character) none of other girls are memorable. maybe you can make a case for mia goth's character- but is it because she's played by mia goth?

tilda swinton playing different characters was unnecessary and somewhat annoying mainly because it adds nothing to the story- except another character you can forget. the dance sequences are filmed terribly- constantly cutting to different angles and doing this contrived and excruciatingly annoying "HUH!" everyone a movement is executed. 

i like some of the older ladies (standout performance from renée soutendijk) - but i felt they need a better story and better direction to really stand out because they seemed more natural and believable unlike the poptarts we're supposed to be admiring.

four dancing pale skinned models out of ten

Edited by Nebraska

aquaman is probably the worst super hero i've ever seen (and, as spi will tell you, i've seen'em all). worse than captain america, worse than spiderman three, superman returns, thor 2, etc. from the opening shots to the very end the movie is remarkably bad

it's honestly worth seeing for how bad it is (but i wouldn't pay for it)

A Star Is Born

I don't know why so many people talked this movie up so much.

It seemed very generic.

Maybe I just missed the point of it.

<shrug>