Suspiria.png

this was a little bit of a train-wreck; and at a running time of 2hrs 26min you really better immerse me in an interesting world. that doesn't happen here. the problem is besides the main girl (dakota johnson's character) none of other girls are memorable. maybe you can make a case for mia goth's character- but is it because she's played by mia goth?

tilda swinton playing different characters was unnecessary and somewhat annoying mainly because it adds nothing to the story- except another character you can forget. the dance sequences are filmed terribly- constantly cutting to different angles and doing this contrived and excruciatingly annoying "HUH!" everyone a movement is executed.

i like some of the older ladies (standout performance from renée soutendijk) - but i felt they need a better story and better direction to really stand out because they seemed more natural and believable unlike the poptarts we're supposed to be admiring.

four dancing pale skinned models out of ten

I just downloaded this. Was going to watch it later tonight with my youngest daughter (she's a horror film fan ATM - the only person I know IRL that's really into anything horror related)...

I'm not surprised that it wasn't too great. It seems incredibly hard to find good horror films. I generally lean more towards stuff like Maryters, Raw, Let The Right One In, Sun Choke, Black Swan, ect....

<more shrugs>

Maybe she'll like it though...

Edited by Hk47

^Venom is the worst comic book movie, and I haven't seen Aquaman yet.

I dunno about that... Those Toby McGuire Spider-Man films were pretty abysmal.

Though, I haven't seen Aquaman yet.

I do hate Jason Momoa.... So I'm not surprised people think it's horrid.

Edited by Hk47

^^ just to let you know, the movie does get a little gory (in case this is something you do not approve your daughter seeing)

also, i agree with you about it being more and more difficult finding good horror films. what i do now is just watch older films

Ha, thanks. She's 19... So gore isn't really a deal-breaker.

And yes! Tons of 70's-80's horror films are great. I'm slowly gettin her into them. We just watched A Clockwork Orange last week, and she really enjoyed it. She also really liked Halloween, The Shining, Poltergeist, The Omen and Pet Cemetary...

In the next month I want to watch Re-Animator, Alien, Children Of The Corn and The Evil Dead with her....

She has a few she wants me to see too, but they're all recent and I can't remember any of the titles... But we take turns picking films, so there's a handful she's excited to see with me.

The last one she made me watch was 47 Meters Down...

Eye-roll material... But she does pick some decent movies every now and again. I wouldn't have seen Sinister, I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House or The Conjuring had she not picked them, and I didn't think they were too bad.

=P

Why would you make her watch that when you've got Drainiac right there??

Never seen it... I'll add it to my list.

=D

I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House

Never heard of this one thanks.

Have you guys watched It Follows? Can imagine that would be a good one to watch together.

No prob-bob.

=D

And yeah, we saw that around Thanksgiving last year. Wasn't too terribly bad. I remember being disappointed it ended the way it did. Though, I don't think I could have come up with a better way to finish it off.

Drainiac... I like when modern films look like they were done in the 80's. That's one of the reasons I liked AHS... The 'gore' that was done 80's style.

=P

Edited by Hk47

Children Of The Corn 

this is a big guilty pleasure of mine. i love the fact that the town is completely abandoned except for those kids. 

it reminds me of this show i watched as a kid where these 3(?) kids go camping and when they return home- everyone has left town because they were warned that the local power plant was going to blow up.

Bad Batch. Had my hand ready to turn it off but I couldn't. Really unique film and the female lead is so dreamy.

Oh and watched the Pianist. Woah, amazing film. One of the best

Thanks for the earlier post spiral, that dude looks like a legend.

He's honestly the next level up from Wiseau. Each film gets more bewlidering/amazing than the last.

I'm so down for their next screening. You should be too https://princecharlescinema.com/PrinceCharlesCinema.dll/WhatsOn?f=8913677

Tonight I am starting with Hard Boiled. Sick80'ssax/10

yes, suspiria is uninspired, messy and totally unengaging mucking about for 2 hours just to reach a sole decent climatic sequence.

I basically thought the same thing after watching it...

My daughter saw it more metaphorical... And during our after movie chat, I started to appreciate what it could mean to others... While still wishing it was done differently.

Seems I remember how much I've forgotten about childhood whenever I have those after movie conversations with her.

=P

I really try to keep in mind that most horror films are directed towards teens/early 20 year olds.

Now... I... Don't think it was terrible. I'd never recommend it, and will never watch it again... But I don't feel like I wasted time watching it.

<shrug>

She wants us to watch The Nun next...

=X

<sigh>

My hopes are not high.

=P

Whatever... After that is Drainiac, and I'm psyched.

=P

Edited by Hk47

yes, suspiria is uninspired, messy and totally unengaging mucking about for 2 hours just to reach a sole decent climatic sequence.

I basically thought the same thing after watching it...

My daughter saw it more metaphorical... And during our after movie chat, I started to appreciate what it could mean to others... While still wishing it was done differently.

Seems I remember how much I've forgotten about childhood whenever I have those after movie conversations with her.

=P

I really try to keep in mind that most horror films are directed towards teens/early 20 year olds.

Now... I... Don't think it was terrible. I'd never recommend it, and will never watch it again... But I don't feel like I wasted time watching it.

<shrug>

She wants us to watch The Nun next...

=X

<sigh>

My hopes are not high.

=P

Whatever... After that is Drainiac, and I'm psyched.

=P

Ya'll might want to check out:

Spring_%282014_film%29_POSTER.jpg

It's prob one of my favorite horror films/films I've seen in the past few years. It's an odd mix of horror/romance* - the horror is more on the Lovecraftian side. Not particularly gory, more body-horror but earns its place in the context of the themes of the film. Seems like it would be a very interesting movie to have a conversation with my daughter about after watching (as it raises some very good questions about the nature of love v physical desire and the meaning of sacrifice). 

*I use that word tentatively - I mean it more in, perhaps, an antiquated sense, not in a "rom-com" sense.   

No fan of Spring but Resolution and The Endless were very enjoyable.

Interesting. I watched The Endless over the break. Found it good, but enjoyed it much less than Spring. Think it's 'cause I'm really a 16 yo girl at heart so the love story of Spring cut me to the quick. *shrugs* opinions n whatnot. 

No fan of Spring but Resolution and The Endless were very enjoyable.

Interesting. I watched The Endless over the break. Found it good, but enjoyed it much less than Spring. Think it's 'cause I'm really a 16 yo girl at heart so the love story of Spring cut me to the quick. *shrugs* opinions n whatnot.
Of course, I hated both the lead characters so I'm not even sure I made it to the end to be honest, perhaps makes my opinion invalid anyway. Edited by tec

Thanks for the earlier post spiral, that dude looks like a legend.

He's honestly the next level up from Wiseau. Each film gets more bewlidering/amazing than the last.

I'm so down for their next screening. You should be too https://princecharlescinema.com/PrinceCharlesCinema.dll/WhatsOn?f=8913677

Tonight I am starting with Hard Boiled. Sick80'ssax/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPzIcVosMdg

Ah, sadly I'll be in Butlin's for a tribute band weekend then otherwise would have been up for it.

A couple of years ago at a horror film festival I saw Dead Perfect by Jason Wilcox, who the programmme organiser described as an English Ed Wood. It's impossible to find his full movies but his time will come.

https://vimeo.com/user4229687