didn't have any new releases to watch so i decided to pick a random classic.

Jeremiah Johnson - It felt healthy to watch compared to modern movies. Loved the theme of solitude in nature and living off the grid (which are themes that i fantasy about exploring myself). It was very fast paced which i was surprised because movies from that decade tend to be tedious. The scenery was beautiful and the sounds of winter were calming. It also had some genuinely funny moments.

9/10, everyone should watch it, its a fun ride.

Purty damn disappointed with Skyfall. Excellent opening sequence with the train, the rest was ok (can we get a more basically structured plot up here, yo) . Bardem turned up for the last hour but by that point the plotholes were gaping.

Mendes' best film remains Road To Perdition.

I know that soundtrack is mostly amazing, but am I the only one who starts to puke in his mouth every time Love Theme comes on.

It's that rarest of moments in Blade Runner where I begin to question its greatness. Love Theme is a perfect soundtrack for a fat white 80's sales executive hitting on a little asian woman with dreams of putting her in his suitcase to bring back to America.

No matter how hard I try, I have to fast forward through that scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IArsKk7ElQo

CarSalesman_65.jpg

In other words, I imagine Lumpy strutting around the streets of China, ghetto blaster held high on one shoulder, blaring Vangelis's "Love Theme" and trolling for 13 year-old tail.

flol

being a big Vangelis fan i never really understood why his bladerunner OST was so heavily praised, to me it belongs in his 'cheesy new age' category. Too many horns and stuff that dates it in a bad way. The ending credits theme is probably the best part of the score

Just saw Cloud Atlas, have no idea if it would make sense to anyone not familiar with the book. Was as weird as the book, but improved on it it places. Could have been even longer I think, it felt rushed. A bit too much cross-cutting between sequences lessened the emotional impact of some of the stories. Still, overall, was surprisingly affecting. Doona Bae was phenomenal, really looking forward to seeing her in anything else. Tom Hanks was pretty good too, as were some of the minor players like Hugh Grant. I'm getting tired of both Jim Broadbent and Hugo Weaving. Very ambitious film that almost works. It's true that some of the make-up was distractingly bad. People seem to be talking about turning Halle Berry and Doona Bae white, but I thought the biggest offender was turning Doona Bae into a Mexican, that was an unmitigated disaster.

All that said, loved the ambition of the film. If they had taken out the Ghastly Tale of Timothy Cavendish (the present-day storyline...was too cartoonish), lengthened the film, got rid of some of the action, and toned down the ham-fisted metaphysics, it could have been a classic. A failed experiment that succeeds in many small ways and is still worth viewing. 5/10 if I'm being a prick, 7/10 if I want to award risk-taking.

Saw a new 35mm print of Polanski's "Repulsion" tonight.

It was the first time seeing it for me.

8/10

I thought it was great. C Denueve was incredibly beautiful in it. She was also very good, acting-wise. It's a tough thing to pull off, the whole "decent into madness" thing. I thought she did the right thing by playing it minimally.

My main issue with the film wasn't so much the film itself, but the theater filled with moronic hipster douchebags that laughed uproariously throughout the whole film, as if was a comedy, or some really shitty film that anyone in their right senses would clearly interpret as laughably bad... Which this film was clearly neither.

I went to the movie to take my mind off of getting hit by someone on the street earlier, but the whole laughing thing made me want to stand up and yell at the audience.

I have zero tolerance for cunts.

Edited by jefferoo

550069_10151427918722387_2014929077_n.jp

Got this one from Tarkovsky's page on fb, it is from the set of Solyaris.

What's this from, Sacrifice?

No but I just watched that for the first time and it blew my mind boner to the heaven.

tarkovsky the mirror....

>

save image, drag and drop it on google images...

but maybe i'm wrong...

You were wrong.

or go to aintitcool where he keeps reposting this stuff from

Yes, I do get a lot of the photos from the behind the scenes posts, but not all of them you fancy mensa hugging dick lover.

tarkovsky the mirror....

but maybe i'm wrong...

You were wrong.

blame google images and yourself for not being kind enough to post the movie title...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

stroszek - liked it more than the other herzog i've seen. the ending moved me. i think i prefer bruno s. to klaus. he seems less studied or affected, less of an actor. i know little to nothing about his backstory or about herzog in general, but stroszek seemed way more sympathetic and human than aguirre or fitzcarraldo, the latter of which i couldn't finish. would love to see something that matches the fairy tale quality of the first twenty minutes or so of nosferatu.

stroszek - liked it more than the other herzog i've seen. the ending moved me. i think i prefer bruno s. to klaus. he seems less studied or affected, less of an actor. i know little to nothing about his backstory or about herzog in general, but stroszek seemed way more sympathetic and human than aguirre or fitzcarraldo, the latter of which i couldn't finish. would love to see something that matches the fairy tale quality of the first twenty minutes or so of nosferatu.

agreed, and it makes sense if you know Bruno S' backstory - he seems less studied because he was beaten severely as a kid, and spent much of his youth in mental hospitals. If I remember correctly Herzog discovered him while he was shooting a documentary.

So yeah, no professional background/training.

Silver Lining’s Playbook: Well, I have to agree with Overlook on this, not one of David O. Russell’s best pics, that’s for sure. Started off pretty strong but after the diner scene it veered off into implausibility land. I guess Russell is developing a tic or trademark for his comedies, these rapid-fire escalating arguments between characters that end in some kind of physical struggle. I think this worked really well in Flirting With Disaster, but seemed more staged here.

About the acting…not sure why so many people got nominated for this film. I thought DeNiro was mis-cast as the dad; sure he manages to squeeze out a few tears in one scene, but I never bought him as a dad, he looked like he belonged on a yacht in Cannes. And Bradley Cooper is a lightweight who had zero chemistry with Lawrence, probably because he’s gay – or at least seems so to me.

But Jennifer Lawrence. Ok, I admit, this film gave me a huge boner for her. She has a hot, thick bod that was amply on display, and when she screams at someone she looks like a shapeshifter who is momentarily losing her human form. Hot. 5/10 for Russell, 8/10 for Lawrence’s ass and angryface.

Edited by lumpenprol

she looks like a cg character. her eyes have an uncanny valley quality to them. watching her wear workout clothes made silver linings tolerable, despite it basically being a movie about retarded people who happen to be good looking.