i guess that was aesthetically cool when it came out... just like matrix... but it's not good stuff...

Brokeback Mountain and Ice Storm are arguably his most recommendable, but all of his films are good. No one is saying he is Kubrick or anything remotely like that, but he is a fine crowdpleaser-friendly filmmaker with a reliably good record.

Edited by Roo

Endgame was unexpectedly disappointing on first viewing, after really liking Infinity War. Best moment in the movie involves a taco. Though I still feel like I need to see it again to know my final thoughts since things happen faster than you can think about them at points. Most people in the audience seemed to be really enjoying it though so most people will probably dig the movie.

Endgame was unexpectedly disappointing on first viewing, after really liking Infinity War. Best moment in the movie involves a taco. Though I still feel like I need to see it again to know my final thoughts since things happen faster than you can think about them at points. Most people in the audience seemed to be really enjoying it though so most people will probably dig the movie.

i wasn't disappointed but letting a few days pass I do realize it's a bit of a mess in comparison to infinity war. doesn't really matter tho, it felt like a fitting end to the story. Satisfying but not perfect. But w/e it's a marvel movie. It's just fun.

Just to add to the Ang Lee discussion. I really liked Lust, Caution as well.

I also saw Endgame. First hour or so not great, then it started to find a groove. I liked it, but not as much as Infinity War.

Also re-watched Confessions of a Dangerous Mind after a long time having not seen it. Still like it, but more uneven than I remember.

Watched Thor: Ragnarok

Surprisingly entertained by it. Out of several Marvel flicks I've seen, this was the most enjoyable.

Avengers Endgame wasn't bad at all. Definitely felt the most comic-book-y out of all the Marvel films I've seen (not that many tbh). Wasn't quite what I expected but not far from it, was thinking they'd take things down a notch. Re-ground things a little.....but nope. 

i wasn't disappointed but letting a few days pass I do realize it's a bit of a mess in comparison to infinity war. doesn't really matter tho, it felt like a fitting end to the story. Satisfying but not perfect. But w/e it's a marvel movie. It's just fun.

Which movie did you like more of the two?

I should rephrase the disappointing thing. I meant that in comparison with Infinity War, which is my favorite Marvel film. For me the movie was something between decent and good, but I feel like I need to see it again knowing how it plays out to figure out my final thoughts on it.

I  just had different expectations. I thought it would be a smaller movie and focus almost exclusively on the original avengers, two of which are kinda sidelined for the movie.  Their arcs don't really move during the film. I really wanted to see why Hulk was where he was in Endgame, which is what his arc was building up to since Ragnarock, instead of it being explained away.

I felt Thanos was under utilized, given how important he was in Infinity War. But he kinda feels like a secondary antagonist in this movie, even if he technically isn't. However I was intrigued by his "personality difference" between these two movies, and it makes me wonder what besides gaining the infinity gauntlet in IW caused him to change. He felt like two somewhat different characters in a good way. 

That said I was engaged the whole movie. I don't think it ever got boring, even within the first two hours, and I still want to see it again. It's impressive what the Russo Bros have done with the MCU. It's because of their work since Civil War that I'm a MCU fan. Whereas before I was just a casual movie goer who skipped half the MCU movies.

Avengers Endgame wasn't bad at all. Definitely felt the most comic-book-y out of all the Marvel films I've seen (not that many tbh). Wasn't quite what I expected but not far from it, was thinking they'd take things down a notch. Re-ground things a little.....but nope. 

Yeah I was thinking that. Endgame does feel unique in that regard with many fan service moments from the comics. Kind of like when Loki said he was the god of mischief in IW before Thanos killed him.

Edited by Brisbot

I still love the fact that two of the executive producers tried to hijack a company I work for and snatch our IP by saying, "oh, we wanna turn this into an animated film!". I've told this story before but I spent an entire night doing research on them and found out that they are in cahoots with Sergey Titov - a guy notorious for putting out terrible early access games that promise a whole lot and then deliver on next to nothing and leave the game in shambles and run away with the money.

The last thing he released was with these two guys. It's called Wild West Online and it was a huge scam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/743860/Wild_West_Online/

Check the comments on their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/WildWestOnline/

Anyway, their company is called DJ2Entertainment.

• Haha 1

The first hour of Endgame really dragged, felt padded out.  Overall it was good if a bit predictable.  I was disappointed 

Spoiler

They didn't bring back Vision, he's my fav.  With their time travel logic, wouldn't Ultron still become self aware and attempt to create offspring?

But overall a good ending to an 11 year saga.

time travel logic is the dumbest thing ever. caring about "how it works" in any movie is a pathetic waste of time for the feeble minded. it doesn't matter, it's shoved into a movie for the exact, specific reasons that the writers need, not the "logic" of a film, because of course, it doesnt make sense.

watched Holy Motors yesterday? instead of A Short Film About Killing and really regret wasting like two hours. my god Holy Motors is overrated, did not enjoy.

Edited by MadellisTheSixth

Holy Motors is a masterpiece, prove me wrong.

watched High Life last night. Despite some glaring holes I had a good time with it. I was very high by the end of it so maybe i was giving a pass to some of the obvious WTF moments. It had a lot of cool ideas. I can see why some people disliek it though. I enjoyed the girl from Suspiria's journey into the black hole - it looked horrible and painful and she obviously died before actually going thru.

Currently watching pulp fiction after seeing a morning showing of endgame yesterday. Man. What is happening to our brains?

we need $300M of CGI to be interested in a movie now? Interesting because Samuel L is in both. We’ve fallen very far from grace.

that said, I cried in my truck after endgame, in a dark parking garage. I watched it because I feel like, it’s important to see what other people are seeing. $1B opening. Just insane man. It was like watching the world trade centers fall, but armed with a very contemporary post ironic gaze  

lol at fortnight reference and thor’s entire character. He’s basically the corollary to the target demographic. The problem with these movies is they don’t take their time. They rush from point to point, scenes are separated by thousands of light years, and you never have time to actually think through anything, because it’s all just a huge series of meta references and eastereggs. 

that said, I wasn’t disappointed at all. It was everything I thought it would be and more. I would recommend it to anyone. Just a very sobering exercise in coming face to face with our culture right now. A vital film for the decade, without question. 

• Like 1