18 hours ago, Echolalia said:

Siedl's Paradise Trilogy

First film Love. Austrian care worker goes to Kenya on a sex tourism holiday. The main actor in this is amazing, proper emotional and nervousness about engaging in her affairs. Not filmed in a cynical hyper moralistic way either. 

Droopdempanties/10

Seidl rrrrrocks. Have you seen Hundstage/Dog Days (2001)? Similar themes. I loved Import/Export + Models too, the former was a surreal mix of degradation & hope, but it's the overall weirdness of Hundstage that stuck with me long after finishing.

22 hours ago, milkface said:

Yeah it's decent. Don't really see it catching on worldwide though.

I can’t believe RL Stine wrote the story I thought he only did spooky stuffs

Thnx for posting Rubin. Yeah, I don't know. Really loved the book, but not sure how well it would translate into a movie - could see McGregor doing a great job but fear the source material (even if updated for film) won't result in a good movie. 

Though, nice to see Stephen King getting a bit of a Renaissance in cinema (IT, Pet Sematary, etc.) . . maybe will actually get a good Dark Tower series someday (nice dream)

Was Wendy Torrance in the book?  I know Shelly Duvall has had some hard times but it would be cool to see her for continuity.  Of course they're reaching hard for call backs it seems.

Nah - very little in the way of any OG characters other than Danny, with the exception of a single scene with 

Spoiler

Jack Torrance appearing as a Force Ghost

Spoiler

You think I'm joking but I'm not 

Yeah, I mean, why wouldn't you reference a Kubrick film if you could. . . and the film could totally diverge from the written word too (so who knows!)

2 hours ago, Crossword Enthusiast said:

I don’t expect much from this Dr Sleep film, but I did like Gerald’s Game from the same director. A rare Netflix original worth checking out. 

He also did Hush and The Haunting of Hill House TV show. 

I've been wanting to watch some noir films and Netflix suggested Too Late. Some alright camera work but the dialogue is fucking atrocious. I'm 25 minutes in and I don't think I'm going to make it.

edit: I made it another 10 minutes. The next scene involved a woman with a shitty husband that starts changing clothes but the doorbell rings so she answers it naked from the waist down. The guy says he was in a car wreck and needs to use their phone (it's set in the 90s?) but they end up drinking and smoking weed. A few awful lines of pointless dialogue later and I was out.

Edited by Braintree

ljvMEQ3.jpg

this started out as you would imagine: an undercover cop masquerading as a would-be wrestler busts some dim-witted bimbos selling steroids. turns out the city is a-wash in all kinds of nefarious activity- the worst being a serial killer that holds auditions for a song and dance show only to kill his would be cast as they show him their talents. since we know our undercover officer can outsmart drug dealers- you know she's our girl. so far so good.

she then has to go to dance training and we're beset with goofy (unfunny) one-liners, ditszy "ahhhh shucks" girl-talk and horny producers trying to see whether these dames can pick up the complicated dance routines they're meant to mimic in order to pass as actual dancers. meanwhile- victims continue getting slashed.

more unnecessary dancing and various shots of the the sunset strip. if you're expecting entertainment of the b-type, this ain't it, although salute to cindy ferda aka americana from GLOW (here known as cindy maranne) and her absolutely amazing caboose that (for a while) kept my eyeballs entertained. 

I saw the Solarbabies yesterday. It's a cool movie, magical distopic dreamy world, with dumb rollerblader teens and badly made attrezzo, hard to think it needed 25 million dollars budget of 1986

2 hours ago, Milwaukeeeee said:

I saw the Solarbabies yesterday. It's a cool movie, magical distopic dreamy world, with dumb rollerblader teens and badly made attrezzo, hard to think it needed 25 million dollars budget of 1986

Try watching Prayer of the Roller Boys.  Oof.

IMG_5022.JPG

The_Man_Who_Killed_Don_Quixote_poster.pn

holy shit this was terrible. can't believe it took 29 years to make. really not even sure what to make of it. seems like a cluster-fuck of ideas, genres and half witted jokes wrapped around a sort-of self reflexive story about a filmmaker trying to make a film about don quixote. 

On 6/16/2019 at 10:13 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Bohemian Rhapsody - really enjoyed this, I missed Live Aid as a kid, but very touching tribute to Freddie Mercury.

Looks really good

5 hours ago, dr lopez said:

it won the Oscar for best editing. Let that sink in

Because they edited out any biographical details that wouldn't have fit the TV-movie, QUEEN, the Brand™ box?