saw apocalypse now at the IMAX the other night, the journey up the river from Vietnam into Cambodia looked amazing. holy shit those sets must've cost a lot. also interesting to read about the debate as to whether it is a pro or anti-war film.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:00 PM, eryngi said:

51oR3PqZFBL._SX940_.jpg

watched Embrace of the Serpent the other night. i loved every minute of it.. seriously captivating film.

second this

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MadellisTheSixth said:

saw apocalypse now at the IMAX the other night, the journey up the river from Vietnam into Cambodia looked amazing. holy shit those sets must've cost a lot. also interesting to read about the debate as to whether it is a pro or anti-war film.

second this

apocalypse now the final edit was great. had actually never seen the film before and really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rhmilo said:

No one cares about the storylines for Jackie Chan movies, do they?

Also: \../

this was one pretty weak though- even for a jackie chan movie. it kinds feels like they started off with a premise and abandoned it at some point 

I saw the dead don't die. Probably Jim Jarmusch' worst by far, but still fairly enjoyable. Should consider finishing the script before filming next time. Haven't seen that vampire film of his. It has Bill Murray in it/10

Edited by Gocab

22 hours ago, Squee said:

Wild at Heart - had not watched it in a loooong time. It’s fucking amazing!

First time I saw this the violence really stood out but second time it was funny as fuck throughout. What a film. 

32 minutes ago, tec said:

First time I saw this the violence really stood out but second time it was funny as fuck throughout. What a film. 

Those dance moves.

wah5.gif

On 8/26/2019 at 11:03 AM, Nebraska said:

this was one pretty weak though- even for a jackie chan movie. it kinds feels like they started off with a premise and abandoned it at some point 

On 8/26/2019 at 2:48 AM, rhmilo said:

No one cares about the storylines for Jackie Chan movies, do they?

Also: \../

You know I've only seen like one or two of his movies, but I've seen very long compilations of his best stunts which are entertaining as hell to watch. More entertaining than the movies I saw, whose names I can't even remember.

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Whole stretch at the beginning where I had my doubts but it was excellent.

Spoiler

My favorite out of his obvious 'historical revenge' movies, but it has more going for it than that alone.

MV5BNWFkMDY1MjItZmNkOS00MDg2LWFlMjMtZWU3

interesting documentary from obama's production company (everyone's got one nowadays). 

a chinese billionaire starts a new factory for his glass manufacturing plant in a closed ford warehouse. everyone's pretty excited- chinese people are moved to america and the americans in that part of the country now have a new job. one problem: these guys work all the time (even on sundays). "sometimes they don't even take lunch breaks" 

another problem is that they don't want a union because suddenly people can complain about the unfair conditions eg. a guy is fired for getting hurt and not being able to get back on the job. the head-honcho in charge reasons as follows: we're all in this together. we're on a boat, and we must keep the boat a float together. 

sure pal. 

On 8/27/2019 at 11:21 AM, tec said:

So many nuggets of gold. Bobby Peru & Jack Nance's character, Grace Zabriskie & her clan, Freddie Jones doing the squeaky conversation scene (wasn't this supposed to be Frank Booth's original voice)....haven't watched for yonks, better remedy that pronto

spacer.png

Edited by cwmbrancity
Diane Ladd ffs

On 8/24/2019 at 7:00 AM, eryngi said:

51oR3PqZFBL._SX940_.jpg

watched Embrace of the Serpent the other night. i loved every minute of it.. seriously captivating film.

a nu one by the same director just came out... 

Edited by Tim_J

speaking of good Colombian films, this is one to look out for. I picked this one film to view from a raft of promising contenders at this year's SFF and bought a ticket to go see it but didn't make it ultimately. still quite keen to get it in, looks lush/intense as fuck. plus score by Mica Levi.

• Like 1

Jinpa. A road movie of sorts set in grim and desolate Tibet (don’t worry, no new age Dalai Lama bullshit). Pictures are gorgeous. Story is ... dunno how to put it ... good,  but not really forcefully imprinted on the movie or something. Worth seeing on a big screen for the strangeness of the aspect ratio (1.33 : 1).

in-fabric-poster-xl_thumb.jpg

this film reminded me a lot of looking at the argos catalogue back in the day- a lot of very beautiful shots of women in clothes- women in department stores and horroerotic music. strickland obviously has spent time researching his moments on particular blog sites for this one. not sure if it fully came together though as the concept is rather daft and it begins to resemble a film challenge more than anything else- but the countess bathory looking dame was worth the time.