Jump to content

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

I saw it this weekend... it was okay - I don't think it did the book justice.

Yeah nothing to add, saw it yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 4:50 PM, Nebraska said:

915wtLk5u4L._SY445_.jpg

 

Looking forward to this. Just watched Embrace of the Serpent the other day and loved it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Birds Of Passage yesterday - a lot of people recommended it to me, but this thread was the tipping point.

And yeah, it's truly phenomenal picture. I've been recommending it forward today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 8:22 AM, MaartenVC said:

Great stuff by Masaaki Yuasa:

 - Ping Pong the Animation

 - Kaiba

 - The Tatami Galaxy & the Movie: Night Is Short, Walk on Girl

 - Mind Game

nu one is coming, it's called ride your wave:

 

Edited by Tim_J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man the first Godfather movie is really good. Not a boring moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 9:50 PM, Nebraska said:

915wtLk5u4L._SY445_.jpg

this is the best film i've seen all year, and i don't think that's going to change. ab-so-fucking-lutely mindblowing

51SGQfMIUvL.jpg

this was a real trip. it's like fantasia- meets who framed roger rabbit- with a jim crow twist. oddly enough- bakshi made this film because he was tired of the hero worship attributed to mafia characters and their elevation in society as folk heroes. he throws a lot of things together and someone it doesn't fully work- but it's such a mad explosion of ideas, colors and music- it becomes something very surreal. birds of paradise has a similar message- just in a more subtle and involved manner.

Chairs for the rec! Looking forward to BoP!

Also thoroughly enjoyed all the Bakshi i've seen so far so shall add to the list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hail Satan?

I love these ragtag satanistas and their shenanigans.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

astonishing!!! recommended for you guys who loved embrace of the serpent... slow burning psychedelic ambient piece... awesome camera work and editing plus a great soundtrack/sound design!

 

from the director of CURE, pretty fun movie, a group of aliens invade the earth and start removing people's conceptions of words...

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Tim_J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joker looks interesting. Half of the reviews saying it's a masterpiece or near masterpiece and the other half saying it's pretentious trash with a small percentage saying it was okay. Can't wait to see which side I fall on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Joker looks interesting. Half of the reviews saying it's a masterpiece or near masterpiece and the other half saying it's pretentious trash with a small percentage saying it was okay. Can't wait to see which side I fall on.

I generally trend with AA Dowd reviews with a few exceptions (he’s hated some things I adored and vice versa) but he gave Joker a B-, and as a generally harsh (but fair) critic that’s enough to pique my interest despite a huge amount of superhero movie fatigue. From what I’ve read it’s largely a character study that lacks any bombastic action scenes, which is a good omen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lada Laika said:

I generally trend with AA Dowd reviews with a few exceptions (he’s hated some things I adored and vice versa) but he gave Joker a B-, and as a generally harsh (but fair) critic that’s enough to pique my interest despite a huge amount of superhero movie fatigue. From what I’ve read it’s largely a character study that lacks any bombastic action scenes, which is a good omen. 

Everyone's been comparing it to Taxi Driver so I'm expecting the comic book version of that. hopefully it'll be better, and Taxi Driver is a good film to boot so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Everyone's been comparing it to Taxi Driver so I'm expecting the comic book version of that. hopefully it'll be better, and Taxi Driver is a good film to boot so.

I might skip the joker movie. It looks like a big downer.

At least Travis Bickle (Deniro’s character in Taxi Driver) had a couple redeeming qualities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I might skip the joker movie. It looks like a big downer.

At least Travis Bickle (Deniro’s character in Taxi Driver) had a couple redeeming qualities. 

Did he though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of quality recommendations on this thread right now, thanks for sharing!

I'd like to recommend you don't bother going to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's a big pile of wank. NOT might I add that the performances are bad, as they are excellent. HOWEVER I'm totally fucking sick of Quentin trying to rewrite history and this was the final straw for me. I hope to God this is really his last movie, he seriously needs to stop if this is all he has left. How can you possibly just erase such an event and turn it into some buddy movie about two guys in a frankly overtly fluffy bullshit version of 60s Hollywood, complete with a made up version of Bruce Lee. I mean, what was this really even about??? What was the fucking point of this movie??? Seriously Quentin??? And that's not even getting into the gender politics of this, and the fact that pretending someone didn't get brutally murdered is TOTALLY disrespectful. 3/10 

Leo is great in this, but I have no idea why the people in this film thought it would be a good idea to make. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toy Story 4 was fantastic!

9 woodies out of 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MadameChaos said:

Lots of quality recommendations on this thread right now, thanks for sharing!

I'd like to recommend you don't bother going to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's a big pile of wank. NOT might I add that the performances are bad, as they are excellent. HOWEVER I'm totally fucking sick of Quentin trying to rewrite history and this was the final straw for me. I hope to God this is really his last movie, he seriously needs to stop if this is all he has left. How can you possibly just erase such an event and turn it into some buddy movie about two guys in a frankly overtly fluffy bullshit version of 60s Hollywood, complete with a made up version of Bruce Lee. I mean, what was this really even about??? What was the fucking point of this movie??? Seriously Quentin??? And that's not even getting into the gender politics of this, and the fact that pretending someone didn't get brutally murdered is TOTALLY disrespectful. 3/10 

Leo is great in this, but I have no idea why the people in this film thought it would be a good idea to make. 

It's a film about the end of Hollywood/cinema and streaming media platforms taking over amongst other things imho

 

Other things mainly being foot fetish porn

Edited by Gocab
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could have just made a dinner show. I would have enjoyed it the same way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did he have to do that whole bullshit changing history thing anyway???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MadameChaos said:

Why did he have to do that whole bullshit changing history thing anyway???

have you seen any other films of his

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MadameChaos said:

Lots of quality recommendations on this thread right now, thanks for sharing!

I'd like to recommend you don't bother going to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's a big pile of wank. NOT might I add that the performances are bad, as they are excellent. HOWEVER I'm totally fucking sick of Quentin trying to rewrite history and this was the final straw for me. I hope to God this is really his last movie, he seriously needs to stop if this is all he has left. How can you possibly just erase such an event and turn it into some buddy movie about two guys in a frankly overtly fluffy bullshit version of 60s Hollywood, complete with a made up version of Bruce Lee. I mean, what was this really even about??? What was the fucking point of this movie??? Seriously Quentin??? And that's not even getting into the gender politics of this, and the fact that pretending someone didn't get brutally murdered is TOTALLY disrespectful. 3/10 

Leo is great in this, but I have no idea why the people in this film thought it would be a good idea to make. 

I don't see the issue. All that coming from the same director who had Hitler killed in a movie theater by burning to death and having his corpse shot up. He seems to like to play around with exaggerated versions of people from history and is upfront about it, often exaggerating the stereotypes of the person in the story. I don't see that as disrespectful really as long as it's obvious and not trying to persuade you in any way. 

The point of it is entertainment and Quentin has said that a number of times in interviews. But if you didn't like it, you didn't like it.

Edited by Brisbot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

Did he though?

Sort of. More than the joker, for sure. He at least didn't like pimps and junkies. He also saved Jodie Foster.

In a weird way, he cared. That's more than you can say for the joker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If choosing the Manson clan murders is a vehicle for "entertainment", that's a shitty vehicle. Saying Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is solely (or even predominantly) entertainment is reductive.

I also find Tarantino's insistence on an alternate narrative to this moment in history to be a weakness. To me, this film feels like conservative fantasy-fulfillment of what could have been in Hollywood, posing the Manson murders as a theft of Hollywood's collective innocence. It's a very narrow perspective and one I find no enjoyment or quarter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The movie was just Quentin telling Leo & Brad how to pose embedded in a sloppy script. I can not find any of the deeper meaning you guys are seeing in this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

“Hey brad pull up your shirt”

”hey Leo look drunk and drive the vintage  car down that road” 

thats about how deep the movie goes

  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...