3 minutes ago, beer badger said:

Lost in Translation (8/10) second time I’ve seen it. Pretty great for all the reasons why people who love it, say they love it (I cant be arsed to)

I was thinking of that film in traffic the other day, need to re-watch it. Soundtrack was my intro to shoegaze/dream pop. I've changed a lot since I've first seen it back in late high school.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beer badger said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (5/10) hmmm ? no fucking story whatsoever, not sure what the actual point of this movie was? Weird. There were some cool parts in it but almost 3 hours is a fucking joke.

whoops

1 hour ago, whosebrian said:

You're right, Gräns was way better.

God bless America

Gräns was fantastic.

Trying really hard to think of the last American movie I saw that was decent.

(nothing against American entertainment as such, mind you, but movies ... not really an American strong point).

1 hour ago, dr lopez said:

whoops

please elaborate Doc (I don't want to get into a online spat)

maybe I need to watch it again? (I don't think I could tbh) but that is my gut feeling. speaking to a few friends who are Tarantino fans also had the same opinion

I'm interested in why folks would think this is a great film, so feel free

I smoked a lot of weed and watched Aquaman in 3D, I also laughed pretty hard. Best comedy. 

There's a scene where Aquaman and another atlantian is chugging along slowly in a tiny fishing boat for no apparent reason, while they're trying to locate something in the ocean. Most of the film is like this. I don't know man, I think it might be a very expensive joke/low key stoner comedy?

I smoked a lot of weed and watched Aquaman in 3D, I also laughed pretty hard. Best comedy. 

There's a scene where Aquaman and another atlantian is chugging along slowly in a tiny fishing boat for no apparent reason, while they're trying to locate something in the ocean. Most of the film is like this. I don't know man, I think it might be a very expensive joke/low key stoner comedy?

• Like 1

Wait what?

Anyway, if you like Flash Gordon this is more of the same.

Edited by Gocab
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, beer badger said:

please elaborate Doc (I don't want to get into a online spat)

maybe I need to watch it again? (I don't think I could tbh) but that is my gut feeling. speaking to a few friends who are Tarantino fans also had the same opinion

I'm interested in why folks would think this is a great film, so feel free

https://www.patreon.com/posts/b-e-e-podcast-in-29482590

that is bret easton ellis's pretty good summary of why the movie is great. I p much agree with him and he does a better job writing/speaking than i could

Edited by dr lopez

Saw the Doctor Sleep movie tonight. 
it was pretty good, but not great. It’s a testament to the strength of The Shining, more than anything else. The story was very different (I didn’t read the book), so it felt like a big departure. Having said that, it’s really interesting to revisit Danny as an adult, even in a limited context. 

... spoiler -> 

Spoiler

I ultimately enjoyed it, but I found the gaggle of shining vampire people a bit cheesy. I got over it after a while, but it just felt a bit like Anne Rice’s Queen of the Damned or something where the initial concept was successful because it was simple but the author felt compelled to make a big show out of it because... where do you go from there, right? Still, it was fun  

So there's another Batman reboot coming out in 2021. Paul Dano is in talks to play the Riddler, and that would be some pretty decent casting actually. 

Edited by Candiru

2 hours ago, Candiru said:

So there's another Batman reboot coming out in 2021. Paul Dano is in talks to play the Riddler, and that would be some pretty decent casting actually. 

Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne, Andy Serkis as Alfred, Colin Farrell is in talks to play The Penguin, and Zoë Kravitz as Catwoman. Also, Matt Reeves seems like a solid director so I'm pretty excited for it.

Dead Man Walking 9/10

Had the OST on cd since the first week of release (1995) but never watched the film until just now. I usually cant stand Sean Penn, I don't really watch many films and the one's I've seen him in I find him a bore. Sarandon is wonderful (I find her sexy even as a plain nun). Chilling but also warming because of Sarandon, it's a great film.

Edited by beer badger

250px-Punishment_park.jpg

this was a very interesting "fake" documentary that presents a decent argument for a possible alternative to federal prison which involves a trek through the desert to reach the american flag in 3 days while being pursued to law enforcement. this intercut with the 'criminals' in a kangaroo court in front of a committee that unfortunately gets a little repetitive and (imo) slows things down whenever things are getting interesting.

still- this was pretty brutal and amazingly well made. approved!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

250px-Punishment_park.jpg

this was a very interesting "fake" documentary that presents a decent argument for a possible alternative to federal prison which involves a trek through the desert to reach the american flag in 3 days while being pursued to law enforcement. this intercut with the 'criminals' in a kangaroo court in front of a committee that unfortunately gets a little repetitive and (imo) slows things down whenever things are getting interesting.

still- this was pretty brutal and amazingly well made. approved!

Anything by Peter Watkins is worth a watch. His Edvard Munch biopic is one of the all-time greats. His documentary "The War Game" is the first time the BBC ever funded something and then refused to release it due to their fear it would cause a panic (this doc won several awards).

And then there's "Culloden"...which a certain xenophobic nationalist shithead on this very board tried to take my head off for commenting on once. Culloden is great, that shithead is not.

^^ i have the war game and absolutely love it. i believe it influenced 'threads' which also influenced 'the day after' although those don't have the feel of having a documentary crew following the action as it unfolds. one that's possibly similar would be alternative 3 even though there is something about it that comes off more as a joke than a warning

Edited by Nebraska

7 hours ago, Ivan Ooze said:

I just saw WOUNDS, fucked up awesome movie

The serbian one? Or the new 2019 horror one?

If any of you haven't seen in, I wholeheartedly recommend serbian WOUNDS. It is one of the better and funniest and most brutal films of the last 3 decades.

51AgF6oe69L.jpg

this is a brutal piece of cinema. hadn't watched it since i was about 10 and back then it was too much to handle. not much has changed. lots of haunting images that get progressively worse as the story unfolds. 

Spoiler

the speech by the german soldier about how he doesn't believe some races should exist-  comes off so powerful and ominous it almost seems like even the death of fascism doesn't nullify the ideology- like a box that was opened and now cannot be closed. and glasha's rape is one of the most powerful reminders of the after effects of this kind of tragedy i've ever seen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

51AgF6oe69L.jpg

this is a brutal piece of cinema. hadn't watched it since i was about 10 and back then it was too much to handle. not much has changed. lots of haunting images that get progressively worse as the story unfolds. 

Reveal hidden contents

the speech by the german soldier about how he doesn't believe some races should exist-  comes off so powerful and ominous it almost seems like even the death of fascism doesn't nullify the ideology- like a box that was opened and now cannot be closed. and glasha's rape is one of the most powerful reminders of the after effects of this kind of tragedy i've ever seen.

Damn, soviet era holocaust film. I need to see this. Can't find it anywhere. Other than really low res torrents

3 hours ago, Nebraska said:

51AgF6oe69L.jpg

Hide contents

A truly great movie. One of the best war movies of all time imo. 

@marf: look for "Idi i smotri"

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 2