On 12/5/2019 at 3:45 PM, caze said:

Watched Ad Astra last night, what a waste of a beautiful looking film, terrible script and lots of dodgy science (the bit through ring of Neptune at the end was particularly dumb for about 5 different reasons).

Ha, I think I said it was a wasted opportunity in my... ehm...review.

I didn’t even like the soundtrack and it’s by one of my favorite composers.

Salon_Kitty_(film).jpg

i'd watched this before and remember enjoying- but i watched it again because i couldn't remember anything about it and found it surprisingly boring. the film is (supposed to be) about a brothel which the SS had taken over and bugged with the intention of having their own leaders or foreign dignitaries led there to do the big business.

well, they movie kinda got that bit out of the way pretty quick and for the next two hours your just watching brothel parties with jazz pop numbers being performed. sets are nice to look at and so are the dames, but story is thin as air.

p.s. guess who got the soundtrack? hint: me

Edited by Nebraska

The Lighthouse. Pretty average buddy/odd couple movie, would have profited from either Jack Lemmon or Walter Matthau, preferably both.

5 Gollums/10 Smeagols, even though the sound designer did a decent job.

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 1

I thought that film was hot garbage, characters seemed paper thin.

Edited by Gocab

Watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night, really enjoyed it. It takes a while for any of it to make sense, lots of setup and you're wondering if there's going to be any payoff... I still really enjoyed just watching them wander around chewing the shit, going to the movies, making tv shows, etc. It was all really well shot, looked great, a very pleasant nostalgia binge for the most part, with the odd segment here and there to add a little tension (like shooting the pilot and the visit to the old sound stage). the ending was really great though, haven't laughed/enjoyed that level of graphic violence in a while, nice cathartic response to a shitty thing that happened. I also liked that it wasn't too Tarantino-y, dialog occasionally showed signs of his usual style, but it was more restrained and natural sounding for the most part.

• Like 2

Watched The Irishman last night, I liked it. A bit clichéd perhaps, nothing we haven't seen before in terms of the story-telling, but it was very well done, acting from the main guys was excellent, got better as it went along, building up to a strong emotional impact by the end. The CG did take me out of it on more than a few occasions, but overall it wasn't too distracting (mostly it was just that scene at the grocers, and a few moments where there was a close-up on a static face, or some jerky old-man movement from the younger versions).

• Like 1

Monos-2019-i.jpg

incredible cinematography and music. story is a little shaky for me and takes some artistic liberties that go in a direction that ultimately splits the film into two different things. might work for some but didn't completely come together for me

seven FARC hostages out of ten

9 hours ago, ManjuShri said:

Jesus fucking Christ, seeing the miniature photo, I thought the girl with the brown hair was that kid from Stranger Things who looks like a bird. That was quite the scare.

finn_wolfhard__-_getty_-_h_2019_.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Squee said:

Jesus fucking Christ, seeing the miniature photo, I thought the girl with the brown hair was that kid from Stranger Things who looks like a bird. That was quite the scare.

finn_wolfhard__-_getty_-_h_2019_.jpg

He's also the star of Ghostbusters Afterlife

On 12/18/2019 at 12:59 PM, Rubin Farr said:

He's also the star of Ghostbusters Afterlife

He's really riding that 80's rehash wave.

We should be seeing a lot of retro 90's stuff in the 2020's, according to the 30 year cycle.