10 hours ago, Candiru said:

He's really riding that 80's rehash wave.

We should be seeing a lot of retro 90's stuff in the 2020's, according to the 30 year cycle. 

image.pngI Guees they were out the door too soon?

That 

On 12/18/2019 at 11:59 AM, Rubin Farr said:

He's also the star of Ghostbusters Afterlife

I'm actually really digging the new trailer. It seems like a really good idea to go the small town route. 80s nostalgia at it's finest I suppose.

51E+o6036kL.jpg

this was actually good. took a while to get going though, and not sure how i felt about gotham city which is basically full of assholes or winey people bitching that you're an asshole for complaining that everyone is an asshole. why anyone would want to be a super hero in such a place is beyond me so it makes joker (minus him showing off his ribs) understandable.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. I was wedged between two of the fattest guys in the known universe, one of whom smelled like very old clothes and buttcrack sweat and was gently kneading his crotch during the movie. My left leg kept going numb because I could hardly move for two and a half hours, except when either of them chuckled, making my whole body chuckle with him. So I guess I'm looking forward to rewatching this in a less absurdly claustrophobic setting, but the movie was alright if a little jumbly. 

• Haha 3

On 12/5/2019 at 1:49 AM, rhmilo said:

So Parasite finally came out in cinemas in NL this week. Went to see it last night. Possibly Bong Joon Ho’s best film. Characters are varied and, for the most part, in depth enough, the story, of course, is glorious and  the typically Korean overacting is completely functional. It’s also funny except where it purposely is not.

It’s two hours and ten minutes and it doesn’t feel long at all.

What a fuckin ride that movie was hahaha. I'm glad I went into it with zero prior knowledge. It made for a proper rollercoaster of a film. 

9 hours ago, iococoi said:

looking forward..DUNE in 70mm format on saturday..:catbed:

i remember someone casually lending this to me on DVD around 2012 when i was getting serious about films from acclaimed directors. to this day i am very, very glad i never bothered to watch it because it's the worst introduction to david lynch, who is one of the very best. the Twin Peaks pilot, Blue Velvet and Lost Highway are all spectacular entry points into his unique style. i have yet to get through more than 45mins or so of Dune but even the surreal puppetry/modelling of Eraserhead and its abstract approach to storytelling is somehow more likeable and natural than Dune. either lynch is out of his depth in this particular genre or there was just too much meddling and creative dissociation for any solid conception to come through, and it comes across as a cavalcade of sci fi tropes rather than something lynch wanted to make.

anyway if you've seen it before and you enjoy it, i hope you have a great time. i don't watch much sci fi tbh.

Edited by Dragon

17 hours ago, iococoi said:

yeppers, i ve seen it before..it's just some extra kitsch thingy @ christmas time. a local independent cinema showing some cult things in their original format from time to time..

heh. i wish i was near an awesome place like that. was lucky enough to see The Shining earlier this year, a lot of places showing it as a one-off to promote the sequel. maybe there'll be a resurgence of classic film screenings in 2020? maybe even some good new films...

Watched 8 1/2 for the first time yesterday. Also first Fellini for me. I have trouble with older films because they don't feed you information and story as smooth as films nowadays, but ultimately they usually deliver a deeper type of greatness. I was on the verge of boredom through most of the movie but lo and behold, towards the end everything came together very nicely and I understood the praise. Good one!

• Like 1

Watched The Laundromat with the gf, pretty entertaining look at the comedy of errors that led to the Panama Papers.  It takes The Big Short approach, breaking the 4th wall but never straying too far into complicated exposition.

IMG_0755.JPG

4 hours ago, iococoi said:

^^

legend

Watched Joker over the weekend, it was not exactly what I was expecting (in a good way). Phoenix was phenomenal, very much enjoyed the ambiguity of an unreliable narrator. Not sure why all the hate, it was exactly what is set out to be: an interesting character study, well acted, placing the framework of the comics in a much more real (if still slightly comic book-y) setting. Won't watch it again (why subject yourself to the horrors of this film when the real world already has it in spades?), but glad I watched it once. 

On 1/8/2020 at 3:22 AM, Gocab said:

As long as they keep the papyrus font I'm all good.

They already changed it :facepalm: I noticed it on the logo they use for Avatar in Disney+   Its too unique for them to just use it once so I'm expecting for it to replace the delightfully shitty papyrus on future sequels. :catrage:

Edited by colunga
had to add the flipping table cat after watching that gosling SNL papyrus sketch where he flips the table

Just watched Jojo Rabbit.

Not sure what to make of it. The beginning is quite funny. It’s sort of what you expect if you’ve seen the trailer. That does not, however, make for a 108 minute film so after a while it gets more serious and I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

Oh well. Definitely worth seeing.

Spoiler

It would’ve probably been better if they’d actually had Jojo betray the girl and , as a consequence, his mom. Probably too grim for Waititi, though, which is fair, but then maybe just stick to the lightness he does so well and keep the mother alive. The way it is now feels unsatisfying to me.

Anyway, my 2cts.