W1siZiIsIjcwMDAiXSxbInAiLCJjb252ZXJ0Iiwi

this was kinda interesting but laborious to get through. basically- a man goes to a sanatarium to check on his father who is dead - except the sanatorium exists in an area of misplaced time so the father isn't dead, yet. lots of interesting and delicious visuals and something that might or might not resemble a storyline. 

340?cb=20171202023711

this was insanely fun as expected considering it has the holy trinity of kung-fu stars at the height of their career. 

51pXHOc9W8L._SY445_.jpg

this is basically a clinic in filmmaking and almost resembles a dissertation in landscape art and framing. extremely erudite and pompous but overflowing in richness and playfulness.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nebraska said:

this was insanely fun as expected considering it has the holy trinity of kung-fu stars at the height of their career. 

That is a *very* good recommendation. I could really use some Jackie Chan. Will try to locate a copy. Thanks!

14 hours ago, Nebraska said:

this was kinda interesting but laborious to get through. basically- a man goes to a sanatarium to check on his father who is dead - except the sanatorium exists in an area of misplaced time so the father isn't dead, yet. lots of interesting and delicious visuals and something that might or might not resemble a storyline. 

They made a movie about this? Christ ...

If it's any consolation the book was a chore to get through as well. Instead of "interesting and delicious visuals" it had "overwrought sentences", however and the story, well there was none. For some reason that hasn't stopped this book from being one of the national novels of Poland.

But yeah: Jackie Chan. Woo!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 8:27 PM, Nebraska said:

[Jackie Chan - Dragons Forever]

Just finished watching it. It was. Lots of ace fighting. Plot beyond laughable and some superb 1980s HK sexism and homophobia but the choreographies more than made up for it.

Good escapist fun. ?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rhmilo said:

They made a movie about this? Christ ...

If it's any consolation the book was a chore to get through as well. Instead of "interesting and delicious visuals" it had "overwrought sentences", however and the story, well there was none. For some reason that hasn't stopped this book from being one of the national novels of Poland.

was aware of the author from the brothers quay adaptation of street of crocodiles which might be easier to digest because it's not a feature length film and has an equally non-traditional storytelling aspect which is the main reason it never made me want to pick up his book. thanks for the consolation. i think even after this film i'll move on content that i've had a fill of bruno schulz work

jojo rabbit - total rubbish, stopped watching at like what? 20 minutes in? so much talent wasted on such an asinine plot... i predicted it was gonna be shit by the time Hitler says people used to say a lot of nasty things about me, oh this guy is a lunatic, oh look at that psycho, he's gonna get us all killed, and then he gestures implying, look at me now? so fucking embarrassing...

alita was shit but still, it was 10 times better than this pretensions pile of crap...

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 4/6/2020 at 12:25 PM, rhmilo said:

Just finished watching it. It was. Lots of ace fighting. Plot beyond laughable and some superb 1980s HK sexism and homophobia but the choreographies more than made up for it.

Good escapist fun. ?

also recommend twinkle twinkle lucky stars which was so popular it even spawned a short-lived comic adaptation

EVA3NoYXgAAhcL0?format=jpg&name=medium

• Thanks 1

I didn't get all the way through jojo rabbit either, thought it would have been better for Taika Waititi.

I just watched contagion - it eerily got a lot of stuff right about what's happening at the moment with COVID-19.

• Like 1

The Master - Pretty great, my kind of film. Extra half point given for the excellent delivery of the insult you fuck pig!!!

8/10

Edited by beer badger

Finally saw this now that it was out online:

spacer.png

Better than I expected, but still somewhat disappointing. I bet all those complaining about #s 1-3 when they came out are longing for something as good as those now!

MV5BNjlmNGRmZDUtMzdhMS00NjUwLTg0NWYtNmQx

this was basically a sleazier (softcore) version of this film complete with a silent mieko kaji look-a-like, hitomi kozue, playing a similar scorpion-esque role. only this time, you get plenty of TnA and less surreal action.

hey man id be really curious as to why you watch all these soft core movies.. aka whats the appeal, why spend hours upon hours watching supbar filmmaking just to see titties when i look up boob get 2 trillion result

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

hey man id be really curious as to why you watch all these soft core movies.. aka whats the appeal, why spend hours upon hours watching supbar filmmaking just to see titties when i look up boob get 2 trillion result

i'm not sure i have a sufficient answer except- i like them. 

to quote man ray "i've always had a fondness for this subject, and i must admit, not purely for artistic reasons"

• Like 1

Blue Ruin- A pleasantly good revenge movie with all unrecognizable actors. I have no complaints about this movie. Well done. The lead actor, Macon Blair, is probably underrated

Green Room - Wow this punk band really shouldn’t have played that show. It was really well made and suspenseful, but the only message I got was “Nazi punks fuck off” which makes sense, imo 

Hell Or High Water - Jeff Bridges looks like he’s dipping the whole movie while two brothers rob tons of banks in west Texas. I have no real complaints about this movie either other than it was like No Country For Old Men-lite. A lot of the dialogue with JB is pretty good. 

The Killing of a Sacred Deer - Grim premise, dark humor, and a little sadistic all around. I want to punch that kid in the face. Ambiguous ending. I’d recommend it to people who eat canned tuna fish on the train. 

4 hours ago, Candiru said:

Blue Ruin- A pleasantly good revenge movie with all unrecognizable actors. I have no complaints about this movie. Well done. The lead actor, Macon Blair, is probably underrated

Green Room - Wow this punk band really shouldn’t have played that show. It was really well made and suspenseful, but the only message I got was “Nazi punks fuck off” which makes sense, imo 

Hell Or High Water - Jeff Bridges looks like he’s dipping the whole movie while two brothers rob tons of banks in west Texas. I have no real complaints about this movie either other than it was like No Country For Old Men-lite. A lot of the dialogue with JB is pretty good. 

The Killing of a Sacred Deer - Grim premise, dark humor, and a little sadistic all around. I want to punch that kid in the face. Ambiguous ending. I’d recommend it to people who eat canned tuna fish on the train. 

4 movies that range from good to amazing. 

1 hour ago, Squee said:

4 movies that range from good to amazing. 

Which ones did you think were good or amazing?

The Killing of a Sacred Deer was the most original and stylized, but the hardest one to watch by far, and Green Room was pretty gnarly at times.