39 minutes ago, Candiru said:

Which ones did you think were good or amazing?

The Killing of a Sacred Deer was the most original and stylized, but the hardest one to watch by far, and Green Room was pretty gnarly at times. 

Green Room and Blue Ruin - Good!
Hell or High Water - Great!
The Killing of a Sacred Deer - Amazing!

I loved how brutal and dry it was. It made it even more hilarious.

"So what do you suggest? Tell me. Oh wait, I know. I've got it. There's a way we can put a stop to all of this. All we need to do is find the tooth of a baby crocodile, the blood of a pigeon and the pubes of a virgin. And then we just have to burn them all before sunset. Let me see, do we have any spare teeth lying around? Teeth, pubes? Nope, none here! LET ME SEE, DO WE HAVE ANY HERE? PUBES, TEETH? Nothing in this box either. Where are they? I'm sure they were here earlier. I put them here myself. WHO'S BEEN MOVING THINGS AROUND? FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE! I don't suppose you have any pubes I could have, by any chance? Oh, I forgot. You don't have any left. We don't have any of the things we need."

This line killed me. 

Criterion Channel has most of the Maurice Pialat films up for streaming this month. While a shelter-in-place order may not be the best time to watch "We Won't Grow Old Together", I'm not passing it up.

Pialat's Van Gogh biopic rules.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Criterion Channel has most of the Maurice Pialat films up for streaming this month. While a shelter-in-place order may not be the best time to watch "We Won't Grow Old Together", I'm not passing it up.

Pialat's Van Gogh biopic rules.

Why the fuck don't they make the Criterion Cut of Brazil available digitally?

12 hours ago, Nebraska said:

i'm not sure i have a sufficient answer except- i like them. 

to quote man ray "i've always had a fondness for this subject, and i must admit, not purely for artistic reasons"

This is the reason I paused stills watched Joan Collins in The Bitch & The Stud circa 1984/5. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, austen said:

Ip Man 1, 2, 3 is pretty interesting. 4 is not on Netflix yet... ?

Wait, so is this Chinese WWII propaganda* with better production values or something?

* yes, I know the Japanese behaved atrociously in China in WWII

15 hours ago, Candiru said:

Green Room - Wow this punk band really shouldn’t have played that show. It was really well made and suspenseful, but the only message I got was “Nazi punks fuck off” which makes sense, imo 

Enjoyable in a blood, shotguns and evil dogs kind of way. Patrick Stewart was pleasantly creepy and the whole thing is over and done with in one hour thirty five minutes. Thanks for the recommendation ?

• Like 1

The Invisible Man - entertaining nonsense. Successfully pulls off a big sense of tension throughout.

Color out of Space - looks great, great blend of computer shit, lighting and practical fx, but a pretty flimsy and not very well constructed story, struggled to hold my interest at times, was checking my phone throughout. Cage goes full-Cage in this as well, as expected, which is the problem - he didn't really pull it off organically, phoned it in a bit. I think it would've worked better if he played it straight, or at least slowly developed into unhinged Cage, rather than flipping back and forth between varying states of unhingedness throughout.

Enjoyed the former a lot more. Disappointed by the latter, was expecting a more from it.

On 4/12/2020 at 9:11 AM, Rubin Farr said:

It's pretty much everywhere elese online

True, but I'm on a crappy internet connection and Netflix streams much better for whatever reason.

On 4/12/2020 at 1:02 PM, rhmilo said:

Wait, so is this Chinese WWII propaganda* with better production values or something?

* yes, I know the Japanese behaved atrociously in China in WWII

Yeah, I'd say there's a good amount of that, but it didn't devalue it for me too much. It's so blaring it almost doesn't feel offensive somehow. Everyone is stereotyped. You should see the Americans in this ?. It's still an entertaining movie, beautifully-filmed, and based on a real life (albeit embelished) story of a legendary kung fu master, the rise in the popularity of Bruce Lee, wing chun, etc.

7 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Two questions:

1. Is this any good

2. Will I need Enlgish subtitles to understand it

Total aberration, but I guess I'm not the right lad to judge it bruv, i rarely enjoy drug movies... But that one beats the level of retardation... Oh can i call something retard? I don't know anymore... And yeah I needed subs, but drooling is not my first language... 

Edited by Tim_J
  • Thanks 1

rear window. obviously a great film but maybe one that is for me somewhat marred by its contemporary role as an example of great cinema or what have you. makes it hard to be immersed in it in the way that i think was intended. that being said, it's immaculate. james stewart is a huge bitch in this movie and is an unbelievable baby. 

4 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

rear window. obviously a great film but maybe one that is for me somewhat marred by its contemporary role as an example of great cinema or what have you. makes it hard to be immersed in it in the way that i think was intended. that being said, it's immaculate. james stewart is a huge bitch in this movie and is an unbelievable baby. 

I watched this and a lot of other Hitchcock films growing up and it's one of my favorite movies in general. He was a genius.

Even a movie not considered a masterpiece, like Frenzy has some real wowzers about it. This movie made realize Tarantino studies some Hitchcock. Frenzy came out in the early 70's when cinema was allowed to get a bit dirtier and it still feels dirty today, I think. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Candiru said:

I watched this and a lot of other Hitchcock films growing up and it's one of my favorite movies in general. He was a genius.

Even a movie not considered a masterpiece, like Frenzy has some real wowzers about it. This movie made realize Tarantino studies some Hitchcock. Frenzy came out in the early 70's when cinema was allowed to get a bit dirtier and it still feels dirty today, I think. 

I don’t think I’ve seen frenzy. Gonna check it. 

it’s just such a deep pleasure to watch Hitchcock imo. the pleasure of something so perfectly crafted like that

Another good one but old one is Shadow Of A Doubt, from 1943. A murder mystery that I remember liking a lot even as a kid. 

• Like 1