miracles_3d_800x.jpg?fit=340,480&ssl=1

this was incredibly fun. it's like an attempt at making a 30s gangster ode with jackie's humor and martial arts though, perhaps due to the scale and elaborate sets, the choreography feels more like an elaborate dance with kicks, hits and falls landing to a perfect arrangement instead of the usual cacophony of disorganized fights.

maybe one of jackie's best films

• Like 2

German winged classics

Little Dieter Needs to Fly - those doors maaaaaaaaan. Better than the C Bale adaptation by some margin. 

Wings of Desire - Just watch this behemoth if you haven’t already. If I was an angel I’d leave mere mortals well alone.

• Like 2

the platform - for such a disgusting movie they surely didn't show enough people having a shit...

uncut gems - looked like a 90's michael mann movie scored with tangerine dream all over the place and intentionally disconcerting sound mix to go along with it... julia fox, best gem in the movie, dat ass though... :wub:

7a7706c9c85c20ccc0092a819f80640460e4bc2c5249df94a4a4336950a28d6be7c23bc2dce14447

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Nebraska said:

miracles_3d_800x.jpg?fit=340,480&ssl=1

this was incredibly fun. it's like an attempt at making a 30s gangster ode with jackie's humor and martial arts though, perhaps due to the scale and elaborate sets, the choreography feels more like an elaborate dance with kicks, hits and falls landing to a perfect arrangement instead of the usual cacophony of disorganized fights.

maybe one of jackie's best films

the fight scene in the rope factory is really great

• Like 1

Watched The Irishman. It was slow paced, more than you'd expect from Scorsese. It reduced those gangster/mobster clichés to absurdum and showed how out of time and place they have been since the 50s at the latest, in contrast to the heroisation or at least de-trivialisation of gangsterism in most other films that address this era (which became a genre). It just doesn't fly to punch someone half dead in front of your daughter, it's not only wrong, it's just really weird, not cool or badass. It's banal and violent. It's what boomers think is cool but isn't. Nice film, like most Scorsese films.

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

Watched The Irishman. It was slow paced, more than you'd expect from Scorsese. It reduced those gangster/mobster clichés to absurdum and showed how out of time and place they have been since the 50s at the latest, in contrast to the heroisation or at least de-trivialisation of gangsterism in most other films that address this era (which became a genre). It just doesn't fly to punch someone half dead in front of your daughter, it's not only wrong, it's just really weird, not cool or badass. It's banal and violent. It's what boomers think is cool but isn't. Nice film, like most Scorsese films.

I heard some people not liking Pacino in this movie, but he was my favorite part. Him constantly making the wrong decision and pissing everyone off while he just shrugs was just funny to me. 

Just watched Hellboy (2019).

Had been putting it off as it was fairly universally slated, but I quite enjoyed it. Dumb story with monsters and gore, but fun. Maybe slightly too long and it would have been good to see more of the hell creatures but it was fine. 7/10

When_the_Wind_Blows_1986.jpeg

this is another film i remember watching ages ago and decided to revisit. pretty harsh and dramatic for a kids movie and especially- i remember some scenes being downright scary. still maintains the effect, mainly due to the touching subtlety in execution

approved!

• Like 2

Klaus (2019)

A great animated movie.
Really beautiful 3D-2D-hybrid expressive drawing-style.
Visuals are a bit like The Secret of Kells (2009) , The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), and the work of Eyvind Earle (1916-2000).
Nice spin on the Christmas story-theme and the Family-Feud story-theme.
Actually good bits of humour.
And way better than a lot of recent soulless Disney movies.
Highly recommended.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Nebraska said:

When_the_Wind_Blows_1986.jpeg

this is another film i remember watching ages ago and decided to revisit. pretty harsh and dramatic for a kids movie and especially- i remember some scenes being downright scary. still maintains the effect, mainly due to the touching subtlety in execution

approved!

Raymond Briggs is a helluva drug

• Like 1

extraction - damn that jawdropping 12 minute single shot was impressive... turns out it wasn't a single shot, there's lots of edits... ended up not paying attention to the last 45 minutes or so... instead i browsed the internet worldwide population numbers on my phone cause Bangladesh is like the 6 most populated country in the world...

guns akimbo - fun popcorn senseless crap without the popcorn...

Edited by Tim_J

Battlefield Earth - I watched it with the Rifftrax and I still wanted to kill myself. This movie is fueled solely by cocaine and dutch angles.

Django Unchained - Very enjoyable, funny, but probably like 30 minutes too long. Plus it's frontloaded with the best type of scenes in the movie, Christoph Waltz and Jamie Foxx just shooting the shit. Once the carnage gets going I start to lose interest.

Ice Cream Man - I feel like saying anything about this "movie" would ruin it. It is a direct-to-video masterpiece that stars Clint Howard as a killer ice cream man after the original ice cream man gets gunned down by mobsters or something. This movie was made for 20 dollars and a pack of cigarettes. Amazing.

Jack Frost - This one I had seen before and it was just as stupid as I remembered, but the Rifftrax made it worth revisiting. 

The Breadwinner (2017)

Ok 2D animation movie. Story is set in Afghanistan. Quite grim.
"When her father is captured, a determined young girl disguises herself as a boy in order to provide for her family."
Cartoon Saloon (Irish Animation Studio) also made: Song of the Sea (2014), and The Secret of Kells (2009), and co-made The Prophet (2014).
Reminded me of Persepolis (2007).

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Nebraska said:

^^^ awesome. that 7 hour documentary series wasn't long or thorough enough huh?

seems like it wasn't... :facepalm:

anyway, nicholas cage acting like a lunatic is always welcome ... :trollface:

Edited by Tim_J