The original Wicker Man was surprisingly great, just watched it recently. Better than Midsommar, does the same thing better in about an hour less. 

• Like 1

Just now, Candiru said:

The original Wicker Man was surprisingly great, just watched it recently. Better than Midsommar, does the same thing better in about an hour less. 

The Wicker Man is a fantastic movie but it's so thematically different from Midsommar that I don't think the comparison is apt. 

12 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

song of the sea and persepolis are on my favorites list, still haven't watched the prophet but i just put it on my watchlist...
here are some other 2d animation titles you might enjoy, some are pretty obvious so you're probably already familiar with them, anyway...

The Red TurtleBoy and the WorldWrinklesLascarsTales of the NightAzur & Asmar: The Princes' QuestGwen, the Book of SandKirikou and the Wild BeastsThe PaintingKirikou and the SorceressThe Rabbi's CatThe IllusionistMoon ManThe Triplets of BellevilleFantastic PlanetGandaharTime Masters

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 2

weird, quirky, hypnotic, psychedelic, annoying, you name it, it's a shame some parts were pretty boring, could've been switched by the ending scenes which were fantastic... pretty IDM movie, recommended... the kind of movie eugene would have loved, lol...
like a wise watmmer once said, "it is OK to only like the bits that are nice..."

MV5BYmEyZGQyMmItZTdjMC00YmZhLTk4YjUtNzkzZDc2NDYyMGMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQwMTY2Nzk@._V1_.jpg

I don’t think I’ve seen him in anything besides Social Network and the Woody Harrelson twinkie advertisement, both of which I haven’t seen since they came out. But I can still facepalm you if you want.

12 hours ago, Tim_J said:

song of the sea and persepolis are on my favorites list, still haven't watched the prophet but i just put it on my watchlist...
here are some other 2d animation titles you might enjoy, some are pretty obvious so you're probably already familiar with them, anyway...

The Red TurtleBoy and the WorldWrinklesLascarsTales of the NightAzur & Asmar: The Princes' QuestGwen, the Book of SandKirikou and the Wild BeastsThe PaintingKirikou and the SorceressThe Rabbi's CatThe IllusionistMoon ManThe Triplets of BellevilleFantastic PlanetGandaharTime Masters

Thanks ?

Eisenberg was a good fit for the Zuck, especially since we know what a lizard cyborg baby eater he truly is and always was. 

On 5/5/2020 at 5:40 PM, dr lopez said:

can't watch any film that eisenberg is in. cinema poison. preparing for the lada laika facepalm

i feel ya, but i can guarantee you, he's not the most annoying thing in this movie...

this was quite ok, thrilling and fun/funny... slow burner for a while but once it sets off ends up being pretty rewarding, felt short because of that... some implausible scenes here and there but if you look at it as a b-movie you'll get pass trough it... it also bears some resemblances to giallo movies, specifically the cinematography... little easter egg in the end for all the watmmers out there ...

MV5BNDZiYjNjNWYtODgzOS00ZWYyLWE3YWMtNzFiYjU2MjlkYjQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

Edited by Tim_J

d04885b7c4abbc42b1d6049d50b49726.jpg

watched this last night with the mrs. because she's into this sort of thing. honestly, starts off oookay- then gets very silly and extremely pompous very quickly- to the point of fetishism (i.e. hercule poirot taken to the nth degree). also, besides the main dame being quite the looker, it's hard to like her when she's so smug on cocaine all the time

color out of space - what? :facepalm: 

lol ffs... you know those horror movies from the 80's we thought we're so horrifying at the time, but now when we revisit them we see how ludicrous they really are, and the only thing making us bear them is nostalgia? well, this is that kind of movie except there's no nostalgia cause it came out yesterday... fuck it if it was intentional...

well, lol, i liked it, but i really felt like so what... and honestly some economics (i don't know how to put it, all those bets and connings...were a bit hard for me to follow, ended up doing lots of math... the direction plus the sound mix really fitted the cacophony of what was happening on the screen and the cinematography was stunning... i really liked the bitterness of the characters but at the same time those mafia guys decisions were a bit implausible imo...

I watched Parasite recently.  The delivery from all of the actors was incredible, as well as the set designs, but that just made the movie more disappointing.  I was hoping for something that would be enjoyable to watch.  Imagine if they had put that much effort into a film that wasn't disgusting.  It would have been really cool.

On 5/5/2020 at 5:23 PM, Tim_J said:

weird, quirky, hypnotic, psychedelic, annoying, you name it, it's a shame some parts were pretty boring, could've been switched by the ending scenes which were fantastic... pretty IDM movie, recommended... the kind of movie eugene would have loved, lol...
like a wise watmmer once said, "it is OK to only like the bits that are nice..."

MV5BYmEyZGQyMmItZTdjMC00YmZhLTk4YjUtNzkzZDc2NDYyMGMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQwMTY2Nzk@._V1_.jpg

House of Leaves got a movie ?

FYI, jazzb7 for some, but Danielewski released three scripts for episodes of a House of Leaves television series. This was after, apparently, talks fell through at a major streaming service. He decided to test the waters of interest. . . they are very good, very HOL so. ..  yeah, if it's your thing, def worth the 9 bucks. It's on Patreon but the subscription modeling is confusing/there are issues - buy it on (of all places) Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/759803499/3-episodesteleplays-of-house-of-leaves

Edited by T3551ER
misspelled the abbreviation of jazzband. Spent more time writing this than if I had just spelled it out in the first place. Committing Sepuku now...

On 5/3/2020 at 6:43 AM, Nebraska said:

v1.bTsxMjIwMzA1NTtqOzE4NDExOzEyMDA7MTUyN

watched this ages ago but decided to re-visit it again. amazing film. 

Have you seen the remake? The scene where Jeff Bridges says the boxes of Tiles in the back of his car are from a french village called Tiles cracks me up. It's pronounced Tills. 

61G7PKrT2GL._SL1250_.jpg

^^^ never seen the remake.

The_Painted_Bird_Film_Poster.jpg

this was.... good. not great, though it really throws everything at you including arrabal, klimov and passolini. personally, the image to storytelling ratio is not well balanced which makes this seem more like a succession of vintage polaroids without all the fine details. also, could have really used with a director with a stronger personality to give this story more charm: as it stands, this a strong effort at translating a very complex book. 

and that's bad at all