That's a great movie!

I mean, sure, the SFX aren't up to today's standards, but that flick is almost 40 years old; cut it some slack. (Don't really see what else could be the problem.) 

Edit: Whoops, didn't see that there was another page either. Recap: The Thing = good, The Matrix = bad, please carry on.

Edited by IDEM
See edit
  • Like 1

If you don't like Carpenter's the thing you can't be trusted. Just saying. I need a blood sample, and a hot needle.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, IDEM said:

I mean, sure, the SFX aren't up to today's standards, but that flick is almost 40 years old; cut it some slack. (Don't really see what else could be the problem)

well, if the SFX are laughable today, what else is there to like in a horror movie? am i missing any thematic analysis? is it an allegory for something more profound? i really think that all the love you guys have for it is nostalgia playing tricks... you're just traumatized cause it horrified you back then and now you can't distinguish it from truly horrifying stuff...

• Facepalm 2

It's more tense than outright scary tbh, it's a tight little script. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tim_J said:

i really think that all the love you guys have for it is nostalgia playing tricks... 

no, absolutely, definitely not.

5 hours ago, Tim_J said:

you're just traumatized cause it horrified you back then and now you can't distinguish it from truly horrifying stuff...

maybe gonna regret asking this but what do you consider 'truly horrifying' 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

maybe gonna regret asking this but what do you consider 'truly horrifying' 

honestly i can't say i've ever really seen anything that i would call horrifying but these movies were definitely disturbing and surely left a sower taste in my mouth:

The Piano Teacher PosterTaxidermia PosterNorte, the End of History PosterVisitor Q PosterKinatay PosterAngst PosterGozu PosterSleep Tight PosterFunny Games PosterCannibal Holocaust PosterAudition PosterMartyrs PosterThe New Cult Canon: Lost HighwayRadiator Heaven: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

Edited by Tim_J

:^) 

You're putting words in my mouth and taking it too literally... I said you guys might find it horrifying for the wrong reasons... i used the term horrifying cause that's the movie genre, horror... and i never said the movie sucked, i honestly laughed out loud in some scenes, what u want me to do??? Just like i laugh every time i see or member xenomorph's jazz hands... 

Edited by Tim_J

Welcome to musicmakers.fansite.com aka zephyr.nova.blogspot.com where you can debate with a dork antagonist for over almost 2 PAGES!

46 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Norte:  The End of History is one of the best films, period

Pretty sure most of these squares haven't watch it...

I'm really interested in watching his other movies but they're like 6 hours long ffs... Have u seen any other ones u wanna recommend? 

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

I'm really interested in watching his other movies but they're like 6 hours long ffs... Have u seen any other ones u wanna recommend? 

I am a Lav Diaz devotee so yeah, I recommend them all (well, everything after Burger Boys). They are long, but they are excellent.

I'd personally recommend starting with the stuff after Norte:  The End of History. Specifically The Woman Who Left, then Season of the Devil.

A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery is probably his best work but fair warning, it's 8 hours long. I really hope that Batang West Side gets a rediscovery some day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim_J said:

Pretty sure most of these squares haven't watch it...

i haven't seen any of that you posted. haven't even heard of 90% of it. i'm not cool enough probably, i'm a super normie who thinks The Thing is a great film. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 6:42 PM, IDEM said:

I mean, sure, the SFX aren't up to today's standards

Whoa whoa back up there cowboy..i don't think I need to say any more..this guy clearly doesn't understand the beauty of Rob Bottin's work..we rarely see that kind of craftsmanship anymore...other than being replicated in CGI..but it isn't the same

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

I do actually like the gross creature shit in The Thing(1982) because it shocks you more to see a gross physical object, even if you can tell it's fake, a lot of CGI still looks faker to the instincts in your brain, like an uncanny valley. That was a dumb way to explain something I think is quite real to lots of people who watch movies and series. CGI blood isn't the same, imo and sometimes the old stuff can be refreshing *drinks CGI blood*

Edited by Candiru
  • Like 2

On 5/14/2020 at 2:23 PM, zkom said:

Anybody know where one could stream old Japanese kaiju movies like the Godzilla series?

looooooots of stuff there

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A"ultragoji2"

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A"ultragoji2"&and[]=subject%3A"Giant+Monsters"

additional

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mutantskeleton/albums/72157625752754232/page1

Edited by iococoi
  • Like 2