Just a heads up, there's a free streaming film festival starting on youtube today, programming seems decent, http://www.weareoneglobalfestival.com/

• Like 1

Uncut Gems

Really unique film. bladerunner like soundtrack too. Day 2 thinker. Which means it must have been good

On something of a Buster Keaton binge.

Saw The Scarecrow (1920):

6sBYke50jTaoWIRKSSYKIWJIslq.jpg

Starts off with an amusing take on the old tooth + wire + door gag. Then goes into a fantastically bizarre breakfast scene with involving contraptions Rube Goldberg would’ve been proud of. After that, it calms down a little and settles into a thoroughly entertaining set of chase scenes.

One of his better ones. ?

On 5/27/2020 at 11:22 PM, Gocab said:

Watched Advantages of traveling by train as well, it was decent. Didn't find it disturbing at all. Reminded me a lot of Wild Tales, which I think I liked more as far as black comedy Spanish anthology films go. Can't really remember it though. ??‍♂️

Just watched Wild Tales and it was ace! My favourite was the city slicker vs. redneck one, but all the stories were good. 

spenser confidential - shit, not remotely funny and shitty action scenes...not thrilling, no car chases, nothing to see here...

hellboy - all the original's fans are crying about how shitty this is but honestly i didn't' mind it at all, mindless numb popcorn kept me distracted till the end...

door lock - could have been way better, it's loosely based on another movie but don't go around and read any reviews cause imo they just spoil the movie... anyway, some scenes you just scratch your head and wonder how in the fuck but i guess it's well balanced with some neat suspense...

cold pursuit - liam neeson's taken 34

Dead Ringer (1964): I never finished this movie before, so I watched the whole thing yesterday. It's kind of interesting, but doesn't stand the test of time as a classic or anything to me. I imagine the tech wasn't easy to pull off at the time.

I watched Saló: 120 Days of Sodom recently. 

It was the shit. But really, I think when I was reading about the film, my imagination was a lot scarier. The themes of consumerism, fascism+depravity, values and morals being for the little people who are basically livestock landed a bit better from reading than when I actually watched it. 

6 hours ago, Candiru said:

I watched Saló: 120 Days of Sodom recently. 

It was the shit.

Lol.

I saw that as part of some uni course, in the local cinema even, but strangely, I don't remember much of it. Might be time for a rewatch.

38 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Lol.

I saw that as part of some uni course, in the local cinema even, but strangely, I don't remember much of it. Might be time for a rewatch.

I honestly thought it was just okay, even dragged quite a bit for most of the film

Edited by Candiru

13 minutes ago, Candiru said:

I honestly thought it was just okay, even dragged quite a bit for most of the film

Yeah, me too. The book is much better.

29 minutes ago, Candiru said:

Yeah, I remember being underwhelmed as well, as is often the case with those larger-than-life "scandal" films whose titles are merely whispered. It doesn't help that yesterday's shock value hardly raises any eyebrows today. In a way, I guess, 2 Girls 1 Cup killed Salò. Same with The Last Tango in Paris for example.

I do remember enjoying La Grande Bouffe a bit more, that one was actually quite entertaining.

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 1

Mulholland Drive (2001) was in my private must-watch section for a over a decade now and I finally watched it yesterday. I started watching it at 2 am. I would say that it was a perfect time for watching this wonderful dreamy story. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

it follows - i gave this another try, still don't get the hype... while it is effective in a lot of aspects i think overall it doesn't deliver in what i aim for in a thriller/suspense movie... soundtrack is pretty good and pays a good homage to old horror movies but that peculiar camera work that everybody raves about gets old pretty fast... also, my IQ is not high enough to enjoy the metaphors that it is supposedly full of...

the gentlemen - i thought i would not be able to follow it cause most of ritchie's movies have so much going on at the same time that i'd easily lose myself but no, the narrative is pretty solid... not saying it's a good movie or anything but it sure kept me entertained... and it's always a pleasure to watch matthew mcconaughey act... colin farrell was also pretty funny...

Edited by Tim_J

i'm about 1/3 of the way into Colour Out of Space and it's pretty fucking weak so far. if i hadn't paid money to rent it i'd probably have already given up. haven't seen Nicolas Cage in anything in a long time but he's fucking terrible in this. easily the worst actor on the screen, the dog is legit 10x better than him. the little boy should be giving Cage tips. 

guess i shouldn't be judging it too much til it's over but...yeah. will amend later. 

edit: yeah, first impressions were right. this was somehow boring as fuck. lots of tryhard, lots of just wearing references and influences on its sleeve. meandering and pointless and not even done with craft. cinematography and music were decent at least? have 0 interest in ever seeing it again. would not recommend.

Edited by auxien
  • Haha 1

Heh, I thought it was fairly entertaining. It's like the retarded third cousin of Mandy. Cosmic horror automatically gives about four bonus points in my book of movie rating tomfoolery though, so that might have something to do with it.

10 hours ago, auxien said:

i'm about 1/3 of the way into Colour Out of Space and it's pretty fucking weak so far. if i hadn't paid money to rent it i'd probably have already given up. haven't seen Nicolas Cage in anything in a long time but he's fucking terrible in this. easily the worst actor on the screen, the dog is legit 10x better than him. the little boy should be giving Cage tips. 

guess i shouldn't be judging it too much til it's over but...yeah. will amend later. 

edit: yeah, first impressions were right. this was somehow boring as fuck. lots of tryhard, lots of just wearing references and influences on its sleeve. meandering and pointless and not even done with craft. cinematography and music were decent at least? have 0 interest in ever seeing it again. would not recommend.

15 minutes ago, Gocab said:

Heh, I thought it was fairly entertaining. It's like the retarded third cousin of Mandy. Cosmic horror automatically gives about four bonus points in my book of movie rating tomfoolery though, so that might have something to do with it.

I feel like I was somewhere in between the both of you. I just thought it was basically Annihilation (a much better movie) but in one house with a family. A bit "eh".

On a related note, I recently watched the "Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau" documentary (I think on amazon prime?) .  It turns out that the original director of The Island of Dr. Moreau, Richard Stanley, directed Color Out Of Space. Apparently, it's his first feature film since the whole Moreau catastrophe. The doc is really entertaining, btw. That production was a complete shit show. It definitely makes you feel bad for Stanley but you also can see how he could have handle it better.

• Like 2

i tried to watch parasite but had to stop 2/3 into it, got bored. for some reason i thought it was gonna be a horror movie so i was disappointed. and didn't care how things would unfold + i'm not 15 anymore, if i wanna see an anime i just, you know, watch an actual anime

• Facepalm 1