The Wrong Missy - dumb stoner comedy with some lols, Lauren Lapkus is pretty much a female Jim Carrey.  I am getting tired of seeing Sandler's wife in all of his movies though.  That ship sailed wth Judd Apatow and Rob Zombie.

1016377_00.jpg

this was disappointing for me as a lupin III fan. the cgi animation is incredibly impressive- but trying to maintain the comic strip humor that's such a cornerstone in lupin's animation was awkward. it basically translates to an animated lifelike character with the mannerisms of an animated character that aren't life like. 

also, the story seemed more aimed at younger kids than usual

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

The Wrong Missy - dumb stoner comedy with some lols, Lauren Lapkus is pretty much a female Jim Carrey.  I am getting tired of seeing Sandler's wife in all of his movies though.  That ship sailed wth Judd Apatow and Rob Zombie.

Judd Apatow and Rob Zombie were married? ?

Edited by IDEM

Just watched return to return to nuke 'em high aka volume 2. It's the most American thing I've ever seen, in a good way. 

Troma/10

Edited by Gocab
  • Like 1

some movies i re-watched:

fractured - it's like a long twilight zone episode, worse than the originals but better than the jordan peele ones...

life - i mean, if you can turn your brain off the action scenes are quite trilling, but if you can't, oh dear, it's a exponential facepalm after the first 20 minutes...

cloud atlas - lol i was moved by this, felt like i was reading a book...

the invitation - after the first 20 or 30 minutes you can guess the ending but the movie keeps trying to fool you in believing that's not gonna end like that but obviously it's gonna end like that...

mandy - no need for words, visually it's obviously a masterpiece, ost and soundesing good af, pretty straightforward revenge action flick, only thing missing is a classic good vs bad fight in the end but oh well...

the girl with all the gifts - dunno what's with me and zombie movies we really don't get along but this one really surprised me... i thought it was clever, the little girl is an hell of an actress, the way she acted like she was drugged after feeding herself was awesome, the conclusion was pretty good but the very ending was a bit sappy... really cool setup design, those concrete jungles look tasty af... obviously there's the usual stupid decisions like leaving the car 1 km away from were they go get the water then end up dead and leaving the guns behind because they need to crawl somewhere then end up dead but if these scenes were cut off the movie i would give it a pretty high score... soundtrack is also really good, it's by Cristobal Tapia de Veer (advantages of traveling by train, utopia tv series, black mirror, etc...) the vocals manipulations he does are really neat...

35 minutes ago, Gocab said:

Just watched return to return to nuke 'em high aka volume 2. It's the most American thing I've ever seen, in a good way. 

Troma/10

i have the first ones and that one sitting on my hd forever, dunno when i'm gonna be into the right mood to watch them...

Edited by Tim_J

Mystics_in_Bali_(1981)_DVD.jpg

i've had this for a VERY long time and not sure why i never watched it before. that was corrected last night. a girl moves to a small village to study the cult of the leák- a form of balianese witchcraft. she first contacts a witch with her friend (you really have to see how this is done to even make sense of it) but is instructed she must come alone the next night.

what happens next is beyond comprehension for both our protagonist and audience. in fact, she wakes up the next day with a very fragmented recollection of the previous nights activities- a foreshadowing of the state you will be left in after viewing this film.

• Like 1

Becky (2020) - gory home alone for 16 years old hipsters except it's in the woods... As shitty as it gets... How come a group of 40 years old writers and directors put out something like this is beyond logical comprehension... 

The Void (2016) - I guess fans of the thing and cosmic horror are gonna hate it or love it, impossible to get indifferent... Imo it's style over substance but I've read otherwise so... 

Ex Machina (re-watch) - really neat movie, loved everything about it... Now that i think about it i can't remember the soundtrack which might mean that it could've been better... Pretty stylish set design an clinical direction... I liked the philosophy but my IQ is pretty low so... 

Edited by Tim_J

Eighth Grade (2018)
This was kinda good? I think it accurately portrayed a lot of middle school and high school anxieties, and that means it was cringy and uncomfortable. Audio mix wasn't great, with the music being far too loud compared to the audio. Kept having to adjust.

spacer.png

Blow the Man Down (2019)
This was pretty good, reminded me a little of Shipping News (the book) and Fargo. But not as good as Fargo the movie or the series, to be clear. Maybe just because of cold climates and death cover-ups.

spacer.png

Edited by sidewinder

interstellar - re-watched this, remember it had a really sappy ending but that's ok after all, it's a good family movie, stunning vfx and entertaining... a director's cut without all the drama would result in a stellar (no pun intended) sci-fi flick...

splinter - another cosmic horror movie heavy influenced by cronenberg and carpenter, almost micro-budget but the heavy shaking camera work when filming the beast really was a big no no... and the decision to make a running hand was laughable cause it's impossible not to remember family adams...

da 5 bloods - so many things wrong with this movie:

• a cacophony of different camera formats for no apparent reason at all except the one from the past and the one from present day...
  • when changing between the main camera and the camera that one of them was using to document their trip the sound mix didn't change, technical failure...
  • the use of music score in the battle scenes just turned them ineffective...
  • using the same actors for past and present didn't really make any sense...
  • the relationship/dialogue with the LAMB peeps was pretty ignoramus...

halfway of the movie i was so oblivious to it that every shit that happened after that didn't really affect me at all... it felt like a family sunday afternoon movie... only thing that made it heavier was the use of pretty disturbing stock footage pictures/video scattered along the way which felt really disproportional and deceitful... the monologue close to the end was supposed to be really deep but with all that happened before it just lost its impact...

conclusion - maybe i'm missing the point only focusing on the technical side of it but honestly it was so overly produced that all the heart was lost along the way...

Spoiler

the mine scene - saw it coming miles away...

Edited by Tim_J

watched the Beastie Boys documentary the other night. haven't read the book, so a lot of the stories around the band's formation in the early '80s up till Paul's Boutique were new for me. this is a period that they always shied away from in interviews, since I know they were pretty embarrassed by themselves and their behavior back then. they flew through the period between PB and Hello Nasty in the doc, I would have liked to have gotten more insight into the Ill Communication time period since that's my favorite album of theirs. overall well made and it held my attention, maybe a little too scripted just because I'm used to their interviews where they go all over the map. 

49 minutes ago, Squee said:

Watching Batman Returns for the first time in many many years and holy shit... Penguin is Trump!

I just rewatched that too the other day. Didn't make the connection myself, but now that you mention it ...

28 minutes ago, zero said:

watched the Beastie Boys documentary the other night. haven't read the book, so a lot of the stories around the band's formation in the early '80s up till Paul's Boutique were new for me. this is a period that they always shied away from in interviews, since I know they were pretty embarrassed by themselves and their behavior back then. they flew through the period between PB and Hello Nasty in the doc, I would have liked to have gotten more insight into the Ill Communication time period since that's my favorite album of theirs. overall well made and it held my attention, maybe a little too scripted just because I'm used to their interviews where they go all over the map. 

The book is terrific! Really lovingly made with lots of anecdotes and a heap of great pics as well.

8 hours ago, IDEM said:

I just rewatched that too the other day. Didn't make the connection myself, but now that you mention it ...

From 1:10

• Like 1

the room (2019) - this movie has some really cool imaginative ideas besides its overall plot but there's some parts where its execution is really disappointing... pretty neat visuals but not enough to save it...

sunshine (2007) - i really don't get how this holds a rating of 7.5/10 in both rottentomatoes and imdb, it's silly and boring af...

• Facepalm 2
  • Farnsworth 1

513kVyEsdeL._AC_SL350_.jpg

i grew up hearing about this bird but never saw her films. turns out they were all pretty rubbish (even the people who appeared in them say as much) and unless they (or she) hold a special place in your heart, you'd be saving yourself a lot trouble. this came with 2 documentaries that basically recount her life and every film you just watched- one of them being long as hell, and the other being a shorter version of the first, though it's pretty crass and tasteless.

also, they missed to include her early loops (perhaps due to censorship or lack of determining rights ownership?) which makes this collection- incomplete. 

22 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

good to know.  I would never waste my time watching b or c movies just because a british 7/10 was in them

this rating needs to be adjusted due to inflation of hot dames over time

Just watched 3 Powell & Pressburger films. 
A Matter of Life and Death > Black Narcissus > The Red Shoes. 

spacer.png
I’m aware that The Red Shoes is supposed to be a favorite of many, but I found it to be a bit of a snooze.

spacer.png
Black Narcissus was acutely racist, but I love a good film about nuns losing their shit. Incredible lighting & sets. 

spacer.png
A Matter of Life and Death was great. A bit like the British version of It’s A Wonderful Life but in a good way. The beginning (the scene with the radio conversation in the cockpit) was by far one of the best opening sequences I’ve ever seen in a movie. Gorgeous film. 

• Like 1

This is the 2nd or 3rd time I watch this and it only gets better... A wife of some guy is killed and he goes seeking for her murderer... Pretty much your day to day revenge plot right? Well, not if Korean director Jee-woon Kim can avoid it... Sick, twisted, demented and merciless... Starts slow but once it gets going it's a hell of a ride... Highly recommended for anyone who haven't watch it yet... 

MV5BZjRmNjc5MTYtYjc3My00ZjNiLTg4YjUtMTQ0

• Like 4