17 hours ago, Nebraska said:

513kVyEsdeL._AC_SL350_.jpg

i grew up hearing about this bird but never saw her films. turns out they were all pretty rubbish (even the people who appeared in them say as much) and unless they (or she) hold a special place in your heart, you'd be saving yourself a lot trouble. this came with 2 documentaries that basically recount her life and every film you just watched- one of them being long as hell, and the other being a shorter version of the first, though it's pretty crass and tasteless.

also, they missed to include her early loops (perhaps due to censorship or lack of determining rights ownership?) which makes this collection- incomplete. 

17 hours ago, dr lopez said:

good to know.  I would never waste my time watching b or c movies just because a british 7/10 was in them, but now I'll definitely skip. thanks 

17 hours ago, Nebraska said:

this rating needs to be adjusted due to inflation of hot dames over time

if you were a kid in Britain in the late 70's & early 80's Mary Millington was THE gateway drug to to the mysteries of the vagina. Joan Collins took up the softcore titty titles with The Bitch & The Stud later.

None of it has aged well, unless yer doing a PhD in retro-sexualism & massive bushes.

a1d1897f1390780df77c9c42cf7e6665.jpg

this is more like a filmed 'performance art' piece. 2 women are trying to be as excessive as possible. one is on a large boat with a chocolate bow whilst the other is a runaway in some kind of commune

Spoiler

where they basically cavort all day and enact the birthing procedure. lots of characters seem to be symbolic of something (or someone). everything is very theatrical, loud and over-the-top.

if you're familiar with pan's people, then you're half way there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

a1d1897f1390780df77c9c42cf7e6665.jpg

this is more like a filmed 'performance art' piece. 2 women are trying to be as excessive as possible. one is on a large boat with a chocolate bow whilst the other is a runaway in some kind of commune

Reveal hidden contents

where they basically cavort all day and enact the birthing procedure. lots of characters seem to be symbolic of something (or someone). everything is very theatrical, loud and over-the-top.

if you're familiar with pan's people, then you're half way there.

See post below

Edited by Taupe Beats

3 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Oh how much you're leaving out with that description...

1. This was the only appearance of the Aktionist movement in a studio film. The extended setpiece with flour/etc (your spoiler) was technically an "Aktion" that Makavejev filmed. Otto Muehl (a horrific person) is the bald guy in that sequence. It is interesting to note how Makavejev achieves this bizarre calm in a specific moment.

2. Makavejev claims he turned down directing Apocalypse Now to make this.

3. What Makavejev managed to get away with filming for this is impressive (set pieces at the Eiffel Tower, Amsterdam Canals).

4. The final scene in the boat is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen in any film.

Oddly, this is likely Makavejev's worst film. It's certainly fascinating though if you have the stomach for it. The gold penis gag gives me a chuckle every time.

Edited by Taupe Beats
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Makavejev visited the film school I studied at when I was 19-20 or something. I honestly didn't know he was a big deal, he was just a gentle old guy who smiled a lot. I got bored throughout his lecture and wanted to exit the classroom, but while I was walking out the old fucker grabbed me by the arm and said that he knows he's boring and that he understands why I'm leaving. It was an awkward, blown-out-of-proportions scene. Our professor wanted to kill me.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Dpek said:

Makavejev visited the film school I studied at when I was 19-20 or something. I honestly didn't know he was a big deal, he was just a gentle old guy who smiled a lot. I got bored throughout his lecture and wanted to exit the classroom, but while I was walking out the old fucker grabbed me by the arm and said that he knows he's boring and that he understands why I'm leaving. It was an awkward, blown-out-of-proportions scene. Our professor wanted to kill me.

Lel. This reminds of the day Wim Wenders came to my uni to watch some amateurish music videos we had made (God bless him) and talk about his own work in music videos (of which he had done several for groups like U2 or Eels), and the first question someone in the first row asked was: "Have you ever thought about making a music video yourself?" Talk about breaking the ice, lol. He took it like a champ though.

Edit: But the professor was mortified.

Edited by IDEM
  • Haha 3

Hustle and Flow
Re-watch after many years - holds up wonderfully! An off-beat, feel good, blaxploitation inspired yarn. Wonder if Eddie Murphy headhunted Brewer for Dolemite Is My Name, has a similar vibe. Inspiring for all the music makers out there. Highly recommended!

Humanoids of the deep
Way better than i was expecting! For a b-movie/body horror/exploitation film it had a pretty big budget! Was shocked to find the director went on to make the famous 'The Snowman - walking in the air' animation. It's on Netflix at the moment (Ire/UK), worth a watch if you're into those sorts of films

Wishmaster
Very much enjoyed this! Had a dodgy copy but was happy to see it was just recently added to Netflix! Fun concept and a sneaky amalgamation of a few other horror franchises. Very much looking forward to the sequel...

Spoiler

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
Really poor, feels like it was made exclusively for 12 year olds. Avoid.

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie which i thought was extremely loud and incredibly close but turns out it's not and it's also not super 8 but it's a movie with kids like super 8 or goonies and one of the kids carries a bell or something that makes a really annoying sound... It came out around 2011 i think... 

Ahhh it was extremely loud and incredibly close after all... And it's an annoying tambourine... Extremely loud incredibly close and ridiculously annoying... 

Anyway, chop chop, nothing to see here... 

Edited by Tim_J

MV5BZmQ5YmY4YmEtOThiZS00Yzk2LWJmZjMtYWU3

Bacurau: a small Brazilian village finds out it’s no longer on the map and not on satellite photos either. Then bad things happen.

Really good.

Edited by rhmilo
Typo
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rhmilo said:

MV5BZmQ5YmY4YmEtOThiZS00Yzk2LWJmZjMtYWU3

Bacurau: a small Brazilian village finds out it’s no longer on the map and not on satellite photos either. Then bad things happen.

Really good.

Easter egg: There's a song by John Carpenter in the soundtrack and Joao Carpinteiro means John Carpenter in Portuguese... 

103986174_2617968345188176_6966466169792

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

you should have left (2020) - another 1h30m twilight zone episode...  alright movie to watch while you're driving...

hellboy (2004) - have never seen this before... there's a cameo by the creature from the black lagoon who also has a lead part on amelie... it's entertaining but nothing special... honestly i had more fun with the 2020 version which most hardcore fans thought was pretty bad...

sonic the hedgehog (2020) - dunno why but i had a feeling this was gonna be pretty fun but it's kinda boring... the vfx were pretty good but you can tell that sonic is definitely cgi, not bad but i think i've seen more realistic fur...

ad astra (2019) - lol what a shit show... anechoic chamber on mars to record a laser message to be sent to neptune while it could be easily recorded on a fucking mobile phone... moon pirates with laser guns, killer baboons, travelling clandestine on a space rocket, the solution was to destroy an anti-matter device with a nuclear bomb?!?!?! surfing trough cosmic debris with a shield made out of a space station door, propelling a space ship with a nuclear explosion in outer space... whoever gave it a positive review defended that the haters were missing the point and that the movie is a metaphor for love, feelings whatever... :facepalm:

hardcore henry (2015) - fuck shit i really loved this, no character development?!?!? what??? of course not, it's basically a walk-through of a FPS with the most realistic graphics ever, period... outstanding choreography, lots of fun, completely far out... plus connan mockasin with super powers as a villain...

Edited by Tim_J

fanny lye deliverd  9/10

note to the older people on the forum: don't post easily available trivia please..you're not mark kermode..you're a man sitting alone in the dark posting on we are the music makers interner forum..thats pathetic enough in itself

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Schlitze said:

note to the older people on the forum: don't post easily available trivia please..you're not mark kermode..you're a man sitting alone in the dark posting on we are the music makers interner forum..thats pathetic enough in itself

Fuck your bullshit

• Thanks 1

Just now, Taupe Beats said:
14 minutes ago, Schlitze said:

Fuck your bullshit

always bitching and whining ffs...

I'm afraid I have to agree with Schlitze here. A noobie like Taupe Beats should know his place in the community. His contributions have been shallow and nonsensical and it was only due to our generosity that we accepted him so far. For someone of his calibre he has been imposing on our kindness way too much. Thin ice, my friend, thin ice

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

I'm afraid I have to agree with Schlitze here. A noobie like Taupe Beats should know his place in the community. His contributions have been shallow and nonsensical and it was only due to our generosity that we accepted him so far. For someone of his calibre he has been imposing on our kindness way too much. Thin ice, my friend, thin ice

Wow. If this isn't satire, it's impressive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1