On 8/23/2020 at 8:32 PM, Gocab said:

I'm pretty much done with superheroes by now. 
Except the Boys.

To be specific, The Boys themselves are not superheroes, but that's just me giving the ol' nit a pick. Yes, it's very good, but like a lot of comic book adaptations, the original comics are even better. Same with Netflix's The Umbrella Academy, the comic books are way weirder and better. Doom Patrol is also very much weird-out anti-hero series, and again - the comics are awesome, too. I'm actually looking forward to Robert Pattinson as The Batman, it looks even grittier and dark than Nolan's.

Edited by dcom

not a big fan of vigilantes/super heroes myself but i can dig all of the above^^^^ the boys is obviously the best but i can't help but find it a bit too edgy just for the sake of it...

damn son, i had this on my favorites list but this really didn't hold up for a rewatch... i mean, everything up until the end is pretty cool, i really like both leads and the constant sense of dread but the end really ruined it for me... i honestly didn't remember it, at least consciously, but as soon as that last scene started i knew exactly what was gonna happen... felt really contrived, hollow and cringeworthy...

Kill List

social commentary 101...

Circle

whomever said jesse eisenberg is annoying just imagine 2 of them in the same picture lol... stylish af but there's not much food for thought... maybe a bit while watching it but after it's pretty forgettable... unless i missed something... most probably...

The Double

it's not a very good movie, kinda blatant eternal sunshine low-budget rip off... but it's watchable and i had some fun trying to riddle what happened in the end and you can extrapolate a lot of meanings...

The Discovery

spiteful characters and excessively manipulative...

Realive

for starters it's a pretty dull premise and as if that wasn't bad enough they turn it into an action movie...

Transcendence

this was cool, it tends to get a bit too Oprah sometimes... still, i had some pretty good laughs...

The King of Staten Island

extremely stupid but honestly i couldn't help but laugh here and there... those syh facepalm laughs you know?

The Wrong Missy

Edited by Tim_J

6 hours ago, Tim_J said:

not a big fan of vigilantes/super heroes myself but i can dig all of the above^^^^ the boys is obviously the best but i can't help but find it a bit too edgy just for the sake of it...

Check out the original comics, they're way more graphic and explicit than the series, which has been toned down as to avoid getting rated X. The source material (released 2006-2012) is way more "edgy" than the series, the series has more emphasis on the (dark) humour.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dcom said:

Check out the original comics, they're way more graphic and explicit than the series, which has been toned down as to avoid getting rated X. The source material (released 2006-2012) is way more "edgy" than the series, the series has more emphasis on the (dark) humour.

As it happens, a Humble Bundle just came up including the whole run of The Boys in digital, so you can grab the lot for a pittance.

• Like 2

spacer.png

watched this last night. excellent noir crime thriller from the late '70s. Dennis Hopper plays Tom Ripley in his trademark unhinged psychopath style. a lot of gritty street scenes from Hamburg.

made me realize I'm not as familiar with how a lot of European cities looked in the 1970s, if there were comparable cityscapes of that period to the classic dirty NYC. most of the '70s films I'm familiar with are American and they either depict gritty, urban American city street scenes, or would show Europe in a bright, clean, almost fairy tale like depiction. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2020 at 2:46 AM, Gocab said:

Let me guess, it was caused by violent video games like asteroids and pong.

Negative mate. This is about real life events and for me I witnessed many similar violent actions as a teen living in the city. I like the doc based off the subject matter portrayed and not based off some video game or VR environment.

6 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Looks really good.

2 hours ago, Squee said:

Looks amazing! Can't wait

+1. Antkind was well trippy, put me in the mood for more Kaufman moving pictures.

51A0YV7MP5L._AC_SY445_.jpg

not sure who's bright idea it was to replace yuki saito's asami saki with yoko minamino, but let's just say that unjustifiable act alone is comparable to blasphemy

with the cuteness factor drained to around a 5, what you're left with is a few birds trying to justify a movie's worth of a sukeban episode

Happy Happy Joy Joy: The Ren and Stimpy Story

Great documentary - probably only works if you grew up watching Ren and Stimpy. It's a bit of a sad story, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 2

Happy Happy Joy Joy: The Ren and Stimpy Story
Great documentary - probably only works if you grew up watching Ren and Stimpy. It's a bit of a sad story, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

do they talk about kricfalusci being an underage sex pest