18 hours ago, Tim_J said:

About The Octopus Teacher... In one moment he was raving about how intimate that bonding was yada yada yada this octopus likes this human and can trust him like if it's the next a big thing and in the next he was swimming with the cute little thing and there was clearly someone filming them... So much for that intimate bonding... None of the creatures in that forest feared him, hell, even in the last scenes of the doc they showed lots of sneces of him touching multiple animals with no problem at all... The narrative and editing are extremely manipulative... It's all a big money grabbing facade... He's all like oh I can't interfere when the poor creature is being eaten and he chooses to ignore the fact that that's exactly what he's been doing since day one... Worst of all, that fucking attack was mostly his fault cause he was with her at the moment and probably distracted her... I could go on and on... Read some of the reviews from the link I posted... 

I was a bit curious if he maybe only visited the octopus 5 or 6 times and added a bunch of super-titles (like “day 20”... “day 58”... “day 134”... etc) to make it look like he was going back every day for a year. 

Rituals
Real gem. It's basically the worst camping trip ever - 5 old friends, all doctors, go off on their yearly trip and stuff starts going bad, real bad. Pretty low budget and there doesn't seem to be any HD scans, which is a shame, but worth the watch even if you can only find a lower quality version. It seems to be compared to Deliverance, which I can see the connections, but it's own thing really.

Decent slightly adult animation. Cool sci-fi ideas and good action sequences but suffers from other problems.

5 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I was a bit curious if he maybe only visited the octopus 5 or 6 times and added a bunch of super-titles (like “day 20”... “day 58”... “day 134”... etc) to make it look like he was going back every day for a year. 

Could of, but there were some great shots that I doubt they could have gotten lucky visiting just a few times. He might have had a team though.

After finishing Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach Trilogy, I wonder if Alex Garland will ever finish the film series. Allot more to the story than just Annihilation. Probably not though, as he deviated so much from the book:

Spoiler

such as removing the underground tower and any hint at Saul Evan's transformation into the "Crawler"

The book expounds much more on what's happening with them and the anomaly of Area X. I can't see how he can deny being influenced by STALKER though, maybe not a tribute, but one of the ending chapters has close similarity to the nut/bolt throwing scene:

Spoiler

"So they walked forward, throwing pebbles as they went, throwing pebbles to find the invisible outline of a border that might not exist anymore. They walked for a long time, throwing pebbles at the air."

Edited by viscosity

On 11/15/2020 at 6:18 PM, IDEM said:

HATED it the first time, kinda liked it on the second go. Maybe I should give it a third try.

For me it's like, you can't expect the original Blade Runner to be topped. And you don't want to copy too much from it. 2049 stands on its own with its story after the Blackout, a reminiscent but different soundtrack, lovely cinematography that focuses more on the bleak aftermath instead of the gritty alive high tech low life.. But to each their own, of course. I dig it. Can't wait to see what the animated series looks like in 2021 ?

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 12:50 AM, viscosity said:

Kind of surprised by all the negative reviews. Could of been faked but giving him the benefit of the doubt, I think somebody like that has to be a bit crazy to do what he did, or atleast a dedicated scientist wanting to document the life of an octopus? I interpreted it as him throwing his life into this passion and growing attached to this animal which I don't blame him. But in the end how could he intervene with wild life on natures surf like that? He even questions his actions as if he might have distracted the octopus when it got attacked. It seems to have lived a full life anyway, their lifespans are about two years. I'm not sure what people are expecting, it's not a pet, still a wild animal out there

I learned a lot from the film and then learned even more by reading up about octopuses as a result of the film. I wonder if these people also hate David Attenborough as he doesn't help the animals either, or Jacques Cousteau? The guy is bonkers to spend a year documenting the life cycle of an octopus, but if it inspires people to show an interest in Ocean conversation it was worth it. The tone of the negative reviews are very similar to the one vegans use to tell you what a cunt you are for not being vegan. Congratulations for being better than everyone else.

6 minutes ago, MadameChaos said:

I learned a lot from the film and then learned even more by reading up about octopuses as a result of the film. I wonder if these people also hate David Attenborough as he doesn't help the animals either, or Jacques Cousteau? The guy is bonkers to spend a year documenting the life cycle of an octopus, but if it inspires people to show an interest in Ocean conversation it was worth it. The tone of the negative reviews are very similar to the one vegans use to tell you what a cunt you are for not being vegan. Congratulations for being better than everyone else.

Jacques Cousteau? Oh yeah...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=3561274

https://film.avclub.com/jacques-cousteau-throws-dynamite-at-fish-in-the-first-d-1798257910

Fuck Jacques Cousteau, and if I'm a cunt for saying that, so be it.

I've never heard anything negative about David Attenborough.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Fuck Jacques Cousteau, and if I'm a cunt for saying that, so be it.

Or his buddy Jean-Luc Picard, for that matter. That Prime Directive shit is wack, srsly.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 11/19/2020 at 12:42 AM, MadameChaos said:

The tone of the negative reviews are very similar to the one vegans use to tell you what a cunt you are for not being vegan. Congratulations for being better than everyone else.

Moralist vegans can be annoying but not quite as annoying as those people who go on rambling about vegans, feminists, SJWs and so on. Usually they are even more annoying. Interesting is that this is coming from a mod who has temp banned me for not censoring the word n*gger in a context where I basically made a point that it's wrong to use that word, lol.

1 minute ago, dingformung said:

people who go on rambling about vegans, feminists, SJWs

do you mean ppl who ramble about vegans + ppl who ramble about feminists + ppl who ramble about sjws? 

or do you mean pp who ramble about vegans + feminists + sjws

1 minute ago, dingformung said:

Moralist vegans can be annoying but not quite as annoying as those people who go on rambling about vegans, feminists, SJWs and so on. Usually they are even more annoying. Interesting is that this is coming from a mod who has temp banned me for not censoring the word n*gger in a context where I basically made a point that it's wrong to use that word, lol.

Not interesting at all. All the mods agreed that you were due a ban.

• Like 1

Why don't you say what you mean in the 1st place? When u gonna quit that facetious attitude towards your fellow board members DingDing? 

The untamed is the only thing that has to do with anime and the little magnifier doesn't show up on my comments but it's on other user's comments and also that I have on my HD screen and the other half is the most popular version of the Universe and is the only one that felt like it was the best way for me to extract anything from my computer to the multiquote button and then the deranged psycho killer comes from the old tunes and the other half the video clip that was AWESOME amirite? 

• Haha 1

Game Night
Pretty decent bit of fun. It's definatley more than a date movie, but feels like it fits that category, and within it i'd say its one of the best of its kind - but outside of that it's also just good fun with nice twists and turns. Hard to see Jason Bateman as the star leading man in this sort of film, carries it off well but can't help but feel it's a parallel universe type of thing going on - but no surprise when I saw he produced it :cisfor:

• Like 1