Watched 30 minutes of Psycho Goreman. Was pretty excited for it after watching the trailer and I actually really liked most things about it - except for the girl. She's so terrible and over the top that she ruined the entire movie for me. Had to turn it off.

• Sad 1

The Life of Oharu

As great as advertised. Kenji Mizoguchi was lucky to have Hiroshi Mizutani as his set designer for most of his career. Their films have an amazing realism for all being set-based. This film may be the ultimate example. Most of it looks like real location shooting, much to its benefit.

By far the best performance I've seen from Kinuyo Tanaka. The dignity she presents throughout the film keeps things from going off the rails into shallow melodrama.

Also, had another rewatch of Norte:  The End of History yesterday. I find something new to marvel at every time I see it (not a huge shock for a 4+ hour film). This time, it was how the camera (so by extension, the audience as well) is used as a judge with the way it's canted to look down/level/or even up at certain characters in key moments.

• Like 2

I didn't watch much last year even during lockdown but Possessor stood out for me. it was everything I had hoped it would be. with Antiviral and now this, I think Brandon has established himself as the next-gen Cronenberg, standing well out of his pop's shadow. can't wait to see what he does next. Cronenberg Sr has now gone the longest stretch of his career without releasing something and it looks like he's kinda just quit because of the increasing ballache of making movies. maybe he's got a couple more left in him, here's hoping. his last one, Maps to the Stars, didn't vibe with me though.

on a completely different note I watched this recently and loved it, a really refreshing change of pace:

• Like 1

I watched the Lighthouse and didn't particularly like it. It seemed like an overlong description of a fall into madness. But I found it funny how similar it is to the Moomin's novel "Moominpappa at Sea".

Just check the plot synopsis of the book from wikipedia:

Moominpappa is dissatisfied with his life in Moomin Valley, so he organises the family to set off on a journey to find a lighthouse in the sea. This will also be the perfect backdrop for a novel about the sea. Once arriving there, they find it a desolate and lonely place, inhabited only by a very unfriendly fisherman. Moomintroll also befriends The Groke and the sea horses. Moominmamma misses home so much that she paints flowers on the Moominhouse since none can be grown on the lighthouse island. Later they find out that the fisherman is actually the lighthouse keeper who fled from the loneliness.

Nature and the sea play a big part of the novel as Moominpappa tries to understand it, and there are many strange, inexplicable things happening on the island.

And the cover:

9781908745705_1.jpeg

Edited by zkom
  • Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

yes she is very special. funnily enough i just finished one of her adult novels "the true deceiver" I would *really* recommend it. A tight, short, intense study of scandi emotions and relationships. very good writer. the summer book is also great. love tove

• Like 2

watched nolan's new one 'Tenet' last night

genuinely of the worst movies i've seen in years.

- dialogue was way too quiet, drowned out by constant explosions and sound effects.

- acting was comically bad at times, both due to bad acting and a bad script.

- the plot was so incredibly confusing i don't see how anyone could possibly understand what was going on after the first viewing.

i think nolan has surrounded himself with yes men. there is a point where a film can be so confusing that it becomes a negative experience for the audience. i can't believe no one watched this and said "chris, it's hard to understand what's going on at times."

Edited by mister miller

Watched the first two John Wick movies. They're pretty fun in a schlocky 90s action flick type of way. I like that they don't explicitly explain the larger world they live in.

• Like 1

Quentin Dupieux, known over here for Mr Oizo, of course, but hopefully also for his cinematographic masterpiece “Rubber” about a homicidal car tire (not a typo) has a new movie out: “Mandibules”, in which two brothers attempt to train a giant fly to rob banks.

Trailer:

It’s streamable from the International Film Festival of Rotterdam website starting Wednesday February 3rd.

The missus and I are stoked.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Quentin Dupieux, known over here for Mr Oizo, of course, but hopefully also for his cinematographic masterpiece “Rubber” about a homicidal car tire (not a typo) has a new movie out: “Mandibules”, in which two brothers attempt to train a giant fly to rob banks.

Trailer:

It’s streamable from the International Film Festival of Rotterdam website starting Wednesday February 3rd.

The missus and I are stoked.

my least favorite...:(

anyway dupieux is a master!

10 hours ago, Tim_J said:

have you watched deerskin @rhmilo?

Yes. I liked it. Never met a Dupieux film I didn’t, in fact.

Wife was a bit miffed at the ending of Au Poste! but me, no sirree, that was great too.