But what was it? Broken image link over here. I tried watching that Harley Quinn movie, but decided to drink bleach and end my life about halfway through, could it be that?

Edited by Silent Member

Two movies this weekend, both good:

Cutie Honey (2004). Recommendation from the other film thread. Japanese superhero movie. Very silly. Very creative (for instance one of the bad guys is accompanied by a string quartet). Lots of a scantily clad woman (not a typo) to watch. 

Vivarium (2019). Horror flick in which a suburb inflicts psychological torture on a young couple. Literally. Very cool.

220px-Run_Hide_Fight_poster.png

this was weird. like a lifetime film trying to be edgy but constantly reminding itself not to. 

it's also produced by ben shapiro so you know it's grounded by some moral right wing ethics *horn*

Wolfwalkers (2020)

Wolfwalkers (2020)
Animation film from the makers of The Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea. (Cartoon Saloon, Irish studio)
About hunting them pesky wolfs and the friendship between a huntress and a wolf-girl.
Loved the art style. The story / script was just ok.

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020)

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020)
Dramatized historical film about the trial (witch-hunt) of a number of people (7) who led the anti-war protests (Vietnam War) in 1968 in Chicago.
Liked it. Give it a watch.
It reminded me to re-watch 12 Angry Men (1957).

Another Round (2020)

Another Round (2020) (Druk)
Danish-Swedish film about the mid-life of couple of friends (teachers) testing if alcohol could improve their lives.
Had a bit of double feeling about the message of this film, but I liked the film itself. It has heart. I'd say, give it a watch.

The Princess Bride (1987)

The Princess Bride (1987)
Not really my thing, but gf and her sister absolutely love this movie.

The Princess Bride: Home Movie (2020)

Also watched The Princess Bride: Home Movie (2020).
It's a series remake on youtube featuring celebrities at home during quarantine.
Some good lols.

Sincerely Louis CK (2020)

Sincerely Louis CK (2020) (stand-up comedy special)
Hilarious. Loved it.
Actual many lols irl.
(also, yes, he does note his controversial sexual misconducts)
You can watch and get it here for $7.99: https://louisck.com/products/sincerely-louis-ck

• Like 2

Speed Racer -Grats to whoever recommended in the Eye Candy thread, it was the perfect thing for a study break. Looked amazeballs, not too taxing on the brain, utterly weird in a perfect Speed Racer sort of way and... some actual heart in there? I legit cried a bit at the scene where Speed's dad talks to him about leaving...

The Wanting Mare- uhhh. no. This is getting a lot of buzz for being a Malick-y sort of near future/allegorical piece (and think the guy from Upstream Color was involved at some point) but... yeah, some interesting world building and nice character moments in the first 1/3 that are, at points, nearing sublimity, but the whole thing never really gels. I don't mind lots of space in a movie, but you gotta put something there that's worth watching. Something like Upstream Color is probably a good touchstone for this, but that film oozes talent, visual lushness, and a complex narrative and depth of character in a way this just... doesn't (even though it thinks it does). 

Also 

Spoiler

OMG some totally lol CG in this. Which is weird, b/c some of it's legit great and seems artistically intended but then other times it just seems totally amateurish and I'm left wondering if the lighting of some scenes isn't just poor color matching instead of artistic flair. The one scene of the car "driving" over the plains looks like some straight up early SyFy made for tv schlock. Guessing CD Project Red was the effects house for this one? (i kid i kid)

5 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

The Wanting Mare- uhhh. no. This is getting a lot of buzz for being a Malick-y sort of near future/allegorical piece (and think the guy from Upstream Color was involved at some point) but... yeah, some interesting world building and nice character moments in the first 1/3 that are, at points, nearing sublimity, but the whole thing never really gels. I don't mind lots of space in a movie, but you gotta put something there that's worth watching. Something like Upstream Color is probably a good touchstone for this, but that film oozes talent, visual lushness, and a complex narrative and depth of character in a way this just... doesn't (even though it thinks it does). 

interesting... gonna give it a try...

On 2/16/2021 at 5:07 PM, T3551ER said:

the whole thing never really gels. I don't mind lots of space in a movie, but you gotta put something there that's worth watching. Something like Upstream Color is probably a good touchstone for this, but that film oozes talent, visual lushness, and a complex narrative and depth of character in a way this just... doesn't (even though it thinks it does). 

exactly my thoughts... i don't mind slow, in fact, i love slow, but this was too shallow... it didn't captivate me enough to watch more than 30 minutes... couldn't care less about these protagonists and what was happening to them... nice visuals here and there but quite inconsistent... lots of cheap shots and shitty color grading as well... i get the malick reference but here there's only directors trying to be epic, and ethereal slo-mo shots following people's backs heading the horizon or sea or the sky, kinda like those beer commercials with a group of friends in the sunset with a very emotionally song playing in the background... embarrassing... anyway i should have watched the whole thing if i wanted to diss, but this is the kind of movie that doesn't really make me wanna go back...

Edited by Tim_J

2 hours ago, Tim_J said:

exactly my thoughts... i don't mind slow, in fact, i love slow, but this was too shallow... it didn't captivate me enough to watch more than 30 minutes... couldn't care less about these protagonists and what was happening to them... nice visuals here and there but quite inconsistent... lots of cheap shots and shitty color grading as well... i get the malick reference but here there's only a fail in trying to be epic and ethereal shots following people's backs heading the horizon or sea or the sky, kinda like those beer commercials with a group of friends in the sunset with a very emotionally song playing in the background... embarrassing... anyway i should have watched the whole thing if i wanted to diss, but this is the kind of movie that doesn't really make me wanna go back...

hahaha ok, good I feel validated. And, yeah, for a film being lauded for it's visuals, why are they so often so crappy? Also, you're doing yourself a favor as, really, after the first 30 mins it's pretty much all downhill (which is surprising, 'cause it kind of starts at the bottom ... so, maybe it went underground ^o^?).  

• Like 1

Just watched the Tom Hanks Netflix thing "News of the World" where he travels wild west Texas reading newspapers to racist policemen and outlaws, trying to get a young orphan native girl home, wherever that is. 

Thought it was pretty good low brain energy food.

Hanks / 10

such a weird movie.. can't quite know what to make of it... i think it should have been more out there, subtle explanations instead of excessive amount of info that unfortunately made the movie feel a bit stupid/unnerving... it sure kept me entertained though...

Edited by Tim_J

Judas_and_the_Black_Messiah_poster.png

had the same problem with this that i did with blackkklansman in that the film feels irresponsibly small (in terms of budget and set pieces) and comprises of incredibly uneven acting which has a very jarring effect on suspension of disbelief. also- there are a lot of "staged" speeches in an attempt to recreate the historic photos that lends the film it's street cred.