The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Recently revisited this classic and holy smokes it was even better on second rewatch! Amazing sets, costumes, soundtrack and acting all around. Packed to the brim with crazy attention to detail and mad tracking shots. Really just a perfectly executed film in my books. I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations from Peter Greenaway's filmography?!

• Like 3

I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations from Peter Greenaway's filmography?!

he's one of my favorite directors. I'd recommend the draughtman's contract, the belly of an architect then the falls (which is my bible).

I also really love the tulse luper suitcases but I'm incredibly biased but still recommend it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Southern Comfort

Defo a bit of a gem! It's a mix between Deliverance and Predator...so you know you got something nice cooking! Watched it on Amazon Prime here in Ireland, guessing its available other regions?

The River Wild

Had never seen it, but remember always seeing posters/VHS's of it in my local video rental shop. Was great fun for what it was. Also on Amazon Prime :cisfor:

Capone

Wow, this was so bad! Nothing really happens except Tom Hardy shitting himself and barely stringing sentences together. Proper definition of a waste of time.

Capernaum

Oh my, haven't gotten as angry at a film in long time. Just pure exploitative garbage. I would never have even dreamed of watching it but it was suggested by a friend in our movie club so felt obliged. Save yourself and everyone else, avoid this like the plague. I have a big issue when filmmakers use children in their films, especially when they are the lead. This kid gave an incredible performance, but to put him through all this shit is just not right or to have the pressure of performing and have the whole film weigh on his shoulders. The cherry on top was seeing the director cast herself in the role of the hero prosecutor :facepalm:

Edited by TRiP

I watched Pieles which is quite something. Lilac & Salmon coloured black comedy about disfigured (?) people. I had some lols, and it is surprisingly meaningful for what it is. It's on Netflix!

On 3/12/2021 at 4:43 PM, Nebraska said:

0cfa3eadb9f1ab5cef14027e282688e5.jpg

100000% recommended. highly suggest you read nothing (unless you mistakingly catch the blurb on netflix) but this was beautiful and heartwarming

Hello Nebraska. Just wanted to say I think you have excellent taste in films/tv programs so I shall make sure I watch this ?

• Like 2

I was a little skeptical: the dialogue in the first few minutes was kinda cheesy, but as soon as they start doing the visual fx shots its *chef kissing fingers gesture*. And I appreciate how the rather intricate backstory is revealed mostly with a couple throwaway details.

Also whenever I watch science fiction stuff like this it makes me want to do an album that's all intense industrial & space gun noises. no more of this chill beats to heat your meat to bullshit smdh

Spoiler

i dunno why but since a young age i've been into this basic story concept. to the point where in elementary school my parents got called because i wouldn't stop telling stories about people getting fused together to make a many-eyed flesh monster. i didn't even watch the thing until i was like 20

• Haha 1

I finally got around to watching Requiem for a Dream. 

Meh? Good soundtrack. Story did nothing for me. 

Jared Leto and Jennifer Connelly would have beautiful kids though. 

• Like 2

I just sat through 'i care a lot'. Don't know what i was thinking. Even less idea of what the writers/director were thinking. Felt like watching a paulstretched lady gaga video or something but with any depth or fun filtered out.... fml

Edited by perunamuusi

11 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I finally got around to watching Requiem for a Dream. 

Meh? Good soundtrack. Story did nothing for me. 

Jared Leto and Jennifer Connelly would have beautiful kids though. 

I watched Requiem For a Dream when I was softly spiralling into my own drug problem. It felt like one of the frequent nightmares that I use to have during those times but I was wide awake and watching it on tv. It was terrifying. I don’t know how I managed to sit through it. Even thinking about it now (the film and my state of mind combined) gives me ice cold chills. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

Watched the Block Island sound, this shit has a 96% fresh rating on rottentomatoes and it's abysmal. Stay away.

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

I watched Requiem For a Dream when I was softly spiralling into my own drug problem. It felt like one of the frequent nightmares that I use to have during those times but I was wide awake and watching it on tv. It was terrifying. I don’t know how I managed to sit through it. Even thinking about it now (the film and my state of mind combined) gives me ice cold chills. 

I just think that Drugstore Cowboy and Trainspotting covered a lot of the same ground. 
I understand the state of mind thing cause even though I haven’t done anything except smoke weed for about 15 years now, the lure of it was strong just watching again, but maybe that’s part of why it was a little meh, cause I lived a lot of that life. 

• Like 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmpW1L5inHLhmfDfxLAzl

this was a little silly. whilst brick & motor video stores were (and do remain) such an iconic structure of a bygone era, blockbuster was probably the worst of them all considering it was such a huge franchise that exclusively dealt with mainstream and family orientated videos. i personally thought the real story here was about the mom & pop video stores being turned into blockbusters but as they say: there's something for everyone. 

• Like 2

^ man, Requiem. Watched that in theaters and was really upset by it. I think because of the Ellen Burstyn character in particular - her arc is probably the most tragic... one of those films that I feel does a better job of making me not want to do drugs than any D.A.R.E. program could even hope to come up with. 

In the throes of midterms so time is slim but have been watching small bits of Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Holy CRAP is it good. I somehow forgot how amazing the Coen bros are at making movies. The vignette style is perfect for someone with limited time. Looks amazing, fascinating stories, incredible acting, brilliant writing. It's fantastic. Thnx to whoever recommended in the Eyecandy thread

EDIT: It was @joshuatxuk thnx bruv!

Edited by T3551ER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, T3551ER said:

^ man, Requiem. Watched that in theaters and was really upset by it. I think because of the Ellen Burstyn character in particular - her arc is probably the most tragic... one of those films that I feel does a better job of making me not want to do drugs than any D.A.R.E. program could even hope to come up with. 

I also watched it when it was in theatres, and remember the experience very well. watched it with an ex-girlfriend who was visibly distraught during the Jennifer Connelly dildo scene, I had no clue how to handle that since I always try and maintain a "nothing's shocking" vibe about myself. don't think I've re-watched the entire thing since, and haven't felt the need to either due to just how uncomfortable that memory is. 

but that makes me remember probably my most uncomfortable movie watching experience, which was watching Eraserhead in a theatre in Oklahoma, packed with a bunch of church going family types. it was being shown at a local college as part of some free art film Sunday thing, and anything free will of course draw a crowd. sitting right behind me was a family with young kids. there were also a lot of elderly people, the types that had no clue who Lynch is. that made the whole viewing experience so much more awkward, but also somehow Lynchian in a weird way. I remember a lot of gasps and comments being shouted at the screen, some loud snoring even. after it finished, there was supposed to be a Q & A with some professor from the college, but the entire place bailed asap, fleeing in terror lol.

• Like 3

Kid_90_poster.png

this was kinda interesting. turns out punky brewster recorded her life after the show ended and edited it to play like the real version of mid90s considering all her friends were the who's who of 90s hollywood. more first world problems than i could handle though

Edited by Nebraska
  • Like 1

MV5BZWZlODNlYWUtZjY2Ni00YzdiLTkwNmEtZmY5

this was great. had it on my "to watch list" for the longest time. highly recommended

Spoiler

i might have missed this, but does anyone know how he knew the octopus was female? also, kinda sad how that school of fish ate her up after she lay her eggs, then that shark came to finish her off. i got the feeling that it was some kind of accepted fate which also demonstrates a higher intelligence. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1