I watched In Earth, the new Ben Wheatley film, feels like a cheap gonzo "lets shoot something during the pandemic" movie. I've seen people shitting on it online, but I really liked it. Very much felt like a companion piece to a Field in England. Just go in expecting a low budget romp in the woods and you'll be fine.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 2

Greta. Minus ten out of ten. Maybe the worst film I have seen since trainspotting 2 and the circle. Maybe much  worse than both of those combined. Maybe even worse than the hustle with j-lo. Yeah this is the worst film I've ever seen. Isabelle Huppert was so bad she somehow undoes all of her other  great performances. Kick ass girl could be phoroshopped out of the film entirely and you wouldnt even notice. 

I moved to France last year, so I've been watching French films to improve my French and learn more about French culture.

I tend to like slow-moving films rooted in the real world.

I enjoyed this one, about a self-taught "outsider" artist thrust into fame.

4 hours ago, Thu Zaw said:

I moved to France last year, so I've been watching French films to improve my French and learn more about French culture.

I enjoyed this one, about a self-taught "outsider" artist thrust into fame.

Have you seen Amour?

Strongly recommend if not.

Edited by perunamuusi
  • Like 2

Amour was directed by a German auteur though, with a French cast. Not sure I'd recommend it for the goal of learning about French culture. For a non-French filmmaker's view on France, I recommend Ousmane Sembene's "Black Girl", maybe some late Kieslowski or even Rossellini's "Blaise Pascal".

Trying to think of "slower paced" French films and not a ton are coming to mind. Robert Bresson films may feel more languid but they're usually short and rather briskly paced.

On the other hand, most people would see Jacques Rivette's Out 1 and consider it chaotic, however I'd def. call that film slow-paced (due to length and Rivette's insistence on keeping you in uncomfortable places for protracted periods of time).

Edited by Taupe Beats
  • Like 1

Cléo de 5 à 7 and La Pointe Courte are nice, Le Mepris is nice, Betty Blue is nice. I don't know too many nice slower paced french films but they have a city called nice. I've been there a couple of times. It was nice.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

Cléo de 5 à 7 and La Pointe Courte are nice.

You beat me to it on these! I dunno why I had forgotten Agnes Varda. Literally any of her films in France would be great recommendations. These 2 quoted are a great start.

edit:  Now my memory's coming back. Also suggest Alain Guiraudie's "Stranger By the Lake" if you're not prudish.

Edited by Taupe Beats
  • Like 1

As I'm waiting to see Sergei Loznitsa's "State Funeral" (hopefully in a theater), I watched "The Death of Stalin" the other day. Hilarious. Michael Palin as Molotov was brilliant.

double life of veronique. one million out of ten. definitely one of my favorite films. i love trois couleurs but this one is on a whole other level. kieslowki let the film become something more ambiguous, almost mystical and at times it feels like the only thing i can compare it to would be a lynch movie. insanely beautiful from start to finish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Burger 1

19 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

double life of veronique. one million out of ten. definitely one of my favorite films. i love trois couleurs but this one is on a whole other level. kieslowki let the film become something more ambiguous, almost mystical and at times it feels like the only thing i can compare it to would be a lynch movie. insanely beautiful from start to finish.

That bit with the tape cassette is genius. All of Kieslowski’s work is amazing. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 12:33 PM, Thu Zaw said:

Check out the Dardenne brothers, they make films like this. They are Belgian, but French speaking. Two Days, One Night is a particularly good one.

• Like 3

honestly, for learning french I'd say go with the classics, Truffaut, Romehr, Resnais, Chabrol, Louis Malle (maybe my favorite), etc. it was all dubbed back then so they used to speak more perfectly. not only are they great, but you get a cinema history lesson as a bonus.

just don't know if Amour is the best language lesson. I analysed as part of my final term paper and that was about Silence in Cinema lol. no, but it is definitely worth a watch, it's beautiful.

Edited by tbf
  • Like 2

June 9th. Remember that Smashing Pumpkins music video for '1979'? It felt like following those kids around for a few days, partaking in shenanigans and whatnot. It's aimless and meandering in a cosy kind of way, so much so that the horror elements, which are mainly at the end, felt almost unnecessary. 

Fear Town USA. The good old Troma energy is alive and well here, really fun watch. 

• Like 1

Been watching so many Pixar films recently and they're genuinely so enjoyable. Because my sister is 5 years older than me, she always got to choose what was on TV so I pretty much hadn't watched a Pixar film since I was 7/8 years old so it's a nice refreshing revisit of things I liked as a kid.

• Like 3

trouble in mind. unusual neo-noir with the a bit of a bladerunner world vibe. nice mark isham score as well. good stuff. 7/10

revolver (73) quality italian crime film with oliver reed. 7/10

Edited by Mindphaser
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 6:35 PM, Squee said:

The Mitchells vs. The Machines

Best movie so far this year. Fight me.

I liked the visuals, but the story and jokes were not my cup of tea.

Got 20 mins left of Hereditary. I have a feeling Peter is in big trouble.

Exactly my kind of film. Soundtrack is also very creepy. Intense, weird, highly likely nightmarish dreams incoming my way sometime tonight. 

• Like 1

i watched Sator on Shudder a couple nights ago. seemed pretty nice but i was kinda drunk and falling asleep in parts…so not sure what happened in a few bits there towards the end…was a good vibe for the most part tho (slow personal/family horror in the woods sorta thing)

• Like 1