On 5/24/2021 at 5:20 AM, Squee said:

Army of the Dead

Good schlock.

yeah it wasn’t bad. idk that i’ve ever watched a Snyder movie but this one was fun enough to keep my attention after the first hour (and the first hour wasn’t too slow or dumb to make me turn it off) but it should’ve been a bit shorter. one or two too many characters/subplots

11 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

Finally got around to watching Come and See 

About as visceral and engrossing as I expected

watched this recently too. some incredible parts. a DPs film

12 hours ago, dr lopez said:

watched this recently too. some incredible parts. a DPs film

I'd read up on it and seen it mentioned here actually before in past threads. I'm a fan of Soviet films in general so it was only a matter of time before I watched it. I often peruse any podcasts that mention movies I recently watched and was enamored by and while sometimes there's nothing of note in this case there were two solid shows with episodes discussing the overall vibe and impression of the film: Overinvested and Friendly Fire. It's like the best "antiwar" film but like not in the usual definition, it's like an anti-"war film" film. It's the most de-mystifying and raw, honest, unfiltered testament to the sheer brutality of WW2 committed to film. 

Edited by joshuatxuk
  • Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.83f21e7728b75bcdd43b7312503a10c6.jpeg

The Iron Giant - Brad Bird’s first film. Watched it with my 7 and 9 year old girls and we were all glued. Can think of no better antiviolence themed film for youth audiences (especially boys).

• Like 1

Dredd2012Poster.jpg 

for some unknown reason whilst watching this dvd, the lappy’s audio all cut out. which ended up being good luck bc the movie is just so aggressive & ham-fisted, one could figure out the basic af plot ok - w/o any sound, as one can also both imagine, & do w/o, a soundtrack of locks & loads & huge bass whoopee thumps & drops. didn't mind missing out either on persistent menacing strings behind filtered, cheesy dialogue of grunts & throwaway script + screaming/explosions/shooting. a visually incredible dystopian megacity of brutalist slum block favelas is the context for goodies vs baddies w frightening drug scenes. stock standard multi million dollar ultraviolence/10      ))Ǝ

^just out of curiosity, were you expecting something other than you (beautifully) described? Or were you just in the mood for punishing yourself? 

Edited by ooqpoo

7 hours ago, prdctvsm said:

Dredd2012Poster.jpg 

for some unknown reason whilst watching this dvd, the lappy’s audio all cut out. which ended up being good luck bc the movie is just so aggressive & ham-fisted, one could figure out the basic af plot ok - w/o any sound, as one can also both imagine, & do w/o, a soundtrack of locks & loads & huge bass whoopee thumps & drops. didn't mind missing out either on persistent menacing strings behind filtered, cheesy dialogue of grunts & throwaway script + screaming/explosions/shooting. a visually incredible dystopian megacity of brutalist slum block favelas is the context for goodies vs baddies w frightening drug scenes. stock standard multi million dollar ultraviolence/10      ))Ǝ

wrong

sorry

• Haha 1

just last week a guy i work with specifically referenced Dredd when talking about the need to arm every citizen (including teens going to school, wouldn’t give a firm cutoff on age of schoolchild that would be ‘too young’ to go to school armed) and from what i gathered seriously believes that movie is a close analog to the dystopian future ahead (also couldn’t tell if he wanted this or not, he seemed to imply it was a bad future but also was very not interested in trying to stave it off). 

9 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

just out of curiosity, were you expecting something other than you (beautifully) described? Or were you just in the mood for punishing yourself? 

tbh wasnt expecting anything, nor keen 4 punishment; but loved DREDD & 2000AD comics wen i waz a likkle boi. my memory must be shot bc cld have sworn Stallone was in this film //::  the prison city tower block is thoroughly believable imo - scawy good. film is essentially another made 4 tv nasty drug dealer gore pr0n like 'harry brown' (2009) w. michael caine, ? ☠️

21 minutes ago, prdctvsm said:

but loved DREDD & 2000AD comics wen i waz a likkle boi. my memory must be shot bc cld have sworn Stallone was in this film //::  

same re: the comics. This is the closest they've come to faithfully adapting them. There were more planned but this bombed in theatres. So you equating it with multi million dollar action movies is off.

The Stallone Judge Dredd was the terrible (but camp fun now) 90s adaptation.

Bo Burnham: Inside

Was looking for something to watch while having lunch earlier and looks like it just came out.  It's a new "special" he made by himself in a small room during the pandemic.  Cheesy, but also kind of a comforting watch.  Only got through half of it, will probably finish it tomorrow.

Kajillionaire - I'm familiar with Miranda July's work, so somewhat knew what type of world to expect. I was disappointed with this. there were some ok moments, but overall I thought it was trying way too hard to be offbeat/quirky. the plot is very thin and the characters are mostly unlikeable. I loved Me You and Everyone We Know, but this one felt a bit off somehow. hard to connect to emotionally, I think. more or less like watching an hour and half long performance art piece that's not achieving anything. or a sketch comedy piece that goes on too long, and loses the humorous element, becomes cringe.

18 hours ago, hello spiral said:

same re: the comics. This is the closest they've come to faithfully adapting them. There were more planned but this bombed in theatres. So you equating it with multi million dollar action movies is off.

The Stallone Judge Dredd was the terrible (but camp fun now) 90s adaptation.

A 2000 A.D. animated anthology film would be great, like the first Heavy Metal movie ? 

• Like 1

lol, have you seen the Metal Hurlant Chronicles tv-series? It's absolute balls, but if you need to tickle that spot there is some stuff out there (not animated though, and definitely not good).