On 7/11/2021 at 8:12 AM, cichlisuite said:

the island of dr. moreau

thx , ? :catbleed::doge:                                                                                ?

hg/wells  

• Burger 1

On 7/11/2021 at 2:38 PM, beerwolf said:

Need to take my mind off this fucking football match.

Watched The Master. Yeah my kind of film. 8.5/10

Also rewatched There Will Be Blood, which I didn’t realise was by the same director. That’s another high score, better than The Master so I guess a 9/10.

I guess I should seek out his other films.

magnolia broh

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Brain 1

A Quiet Place Part II - a decent sequel, but didn't nearly have the kinetic energy the first film had. While the characters' actions mostly made sense, about 80% of the film was sitting and talking, or hiding in a room. I was also distracted by how much older the child actors were, but that's a minor squabble. As these are episodic films, I'm sure there will be more.

• Like 1

Watched this recently on Criterion Channel (highly recommend it for anyone in USA or Canada)

A slow-burning claustrophobic existential tale. Probably the reason why Anakin is afraid of sand is because he watched this movie.

I love japan cinema. 

p7490_p_v8_aa.jpg

On 7/11/2021 at 8:43 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Hard Eight

Hard Eight was so good. Such an amazing character study. Subtle and brutal at the same time.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2021 at 8:35 AM, milkface said:

Finished watching it. It was certainly alluring and very well shot and the acting was great but I couldn't help but feel that most of what I was seeing was completely useless to a plot that severely lacked substance. Not a bad film by any measure but just boring and it dragged on and on and on.

Certainly not his best film lol.

First word that comes to mind when thinking about this movie (and much of Tarantino movies after Kill Bill) are disjointed and messy. You can still feel Tarantino but the movie as a whole as no continuity or coherence.

The scenes with Brad Pitt in the caravan with his dog were pretty cool i reckon. Same for the actor scenes with Leonardo. But the weird incoherent plot and the Bruce Lee scene honestly just broke the movie for me.

I thought i completely lost faith in Tarantino , im not feeling at all Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds, Django or Once upon a time in Hollywood BUT then i watched Hateful 8 which i  skipped and i really liked it. I thought it had great rhythm and intensity and it let me believe that he still has some movies in him.

What i'll always admire in Tarantino no matter what i must say, is the tremendous passion and enthusiasm he has for movies. It is contagious and it is beautiful to witness.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

First word that comes to mind when thinking about this movie (and much of Tarantino movies after Kill Bill) are disjointed and messy. You can still feel Tarantino but the movie as a whole as no continuity or coherence.

The scenes with Brad Pitt in the caravan with his dog were pretty cool i reckon. Same for the actor scenes with Leonardo. But the weird incoherent plot and the Bruce Lee scene honestly just broke the movie for me.

I thought i completely lost faith in Tarantino , im not feeling at all Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds, Django or Once upon a time in Hollywood BUT then i watched Hateful 8 which i  skipped and i really liked it. I thought it had great rhythm and intensity and it let me believe that he still has some movies in him.

What i'll always admire in Tarantino no matter what i must say, is the tremendous passion and enthusiasm he has for movies. It is contagious and it is beautiful to witness.

Tarantino also wrote True Romance and Natural Born Killers, both great scripts.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

rewatched Araki’s Teenage Apocalypse trilogy. I love them. 

At least those 3 films deserve an HD digital release. Most of his 80s-90s stuff seems to have been forgotten since they were never digitized. ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prdctvsm said:

currently at the actual intermission in this ; will watch the final half late ron. so far/so good

Holy shit. How is the entire thing on YouTube?? Great flick, btw :emotawesomepm9:

• Burger 1

26 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Holy shit. How is the entire thing on YouTube?? Great flick, btw :emotawesomepm9:

some great movies floating around in full on yt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Shooting (1966) - one of Jack Nicholson's early films. I wanted to like it more, but the sound quality is so poor, I had to crank it way up to hear the dialogue. and the dialogue itself is not linear at all. it is supposed to be one of those existential westerns, or an acid western as they are also referred to.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsvo27V8hWhT7uRYHpDjr

this has to be one of the strangest films i've ever seen. on paper- this is a straight narrative- but the filmmakers have made some really awkward choices (incredibly amateur "wannabe" shakespearean dialogue, unnecessary 90s music video type edits and an overabundance of transitional wipes) all while everything is delivered with an extremely focused and unflinching conviction. it's also very removed from reality but seems to be trying to make a message about the drug trade and corruption (?)

i think this film works better as a character study on the people that made it rather than the product they created

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iococoi said:

:catsob:

rd5IjRb.jpg

The original was a nice enough movie and all, but I cant help but to predict that each of these will be 3hr+ bloated monsters with cool effects littered throughout and a vaguely linear plot with diminishing returns.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nebraska said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsvo27V8hWhT7uRYHpDjr

this has to be one of the strangest films i've ever seen. on paper- this is a straight narrative- but the filmmakers have made some really awkward choices (incredibly amateur "wannabe" shakespearean dialogue, unnecessary 90s music video type edits and an overabundance of transitional wipes) all while everything is delivered with an extremely focused and unflinching conviction. it's also very removed from reality but seems to be trying to make a message about the drug trade and corruption (?)

i think this film works better as a character study on the people that made it rather than the product they created

I think fsol sampled this flick 

Magnolia. Had to turn off after about 40mins. Was literally making me feel dizzy. Was fun to see Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise though, think this must be the closest he's ever been to portraying his Scientology self on screen? 

6331a699a3617e81707f8f4cf0d7eb21.jpg

tried watching this again after years. still didn't like it too much.

Spoiler

some of the characters (like alabama) are very endearing, while others like "the hit men" are just cartoons. 

just slightly above meh for me