15 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Yeah, will be curious to see what you think afterwards. It's not perfect by any means but... yeah, not going to say any more, but def would be interested in your thoughts after you watch. 

@usagiread your comments, totally get why you might not like this one. I think part of it's how much you buy into the film as a whole - it's a pretty slow burn and if you aren't on board by halfway it's probably not going to win you over by the end. 

Also, yeah, Pig so on the radar. 

Also, also REALLY want to see the Green Knight. 

It's not on UK Netflix after all :facepalm:

• Facepalm 1

White_Dog_poster.jpg

white dog is based on the historical fact of dogs bred specifically to "control" black people in the (not at all racist) united states while raising the question, can such a dog ever rehabilitated. likewise, can the united states ever become the place the currently espouses it is. 

approved

• Like 1

Fried Barry. Imagine 'Bad Boy Bubby' with drugs n' ufos, infused with Troma style degeneracy. Mad shit. 

Boys From County Hell. Wholesome, charming fun Irish comedy/horror flick in the vein of Shaun of the Dead. 

18 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

Boys From County Hell. Wholesome, charming fun Irish comedy/horror flick in the vein of Shaun of the Dead. 

i watched that a month or so ago, was decent yeah. nothing special to it but was cute and not annoying or anything, seemed like they had some fun with it

i also caught (all on Shudder)

• Lake Mungo (wasn't bad in moments but overall felt a bit cheap)
  • An Unquiet Grave (bordered on boring, not /bad/ but couldn't recommend it to anyone except maybe a film student wanting to dissect why something didn't work when it could've)
  • Vicious Fun (good enough fun but wasn't outstanding...seemed to be trying too hard at every level except the acting)

^ Really want to see this, but probably will have to wait for VOD. Also curious to hear other WATMMers take

St Maud -  Pretty taut little piece and I ain't just talking about the main actress (har har). No, but seriously, an interesting take on the fine line between madness and sainthood. I actually like it more now that it's had some time to rest in my brain. I had come to a very specific conclusion about what's going on throughout the film but actually walking it back a bit. Very well shot/well acted and would think particularly of interest to anyone familiar with some of the mysticism/esoteria of Christianity. 

On a short break from school so have a little more time for mindless crap like....

Bloodshot - Vin Diesel does his best Vin Diesel but he's got nanobots for blood and Guy Pierce is scientist who's helping soldiers to rehabilitate except he's not. There is a specific twist that I knew about going in that I wish I didn't, because it would have made this a B+ instead of a B-. It's always going to be a "B" movie and that's fine. Shit explodes good and CG has gotten a lot better in the last 20 years.

7.5 I am Groots / 10 Vin Diesel yelling in someone's faces

38 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

St Maud -  Pretty taut little piece and I ain't just talking about the main actress (har har). No, but seriously, an interesting take on the fine line between madness and sainthood. I actually like it more now that it's had some time to rest in my brain. I had come to a very specific conclusion about what's going on throughout the film but actually walking it back a bit. Very well shot/well acted and would think particularly of interest to anyone familiar with some of the mysticism/esoteria of Christianity.

+1. strong directorial debuts always pique my interest.

was in the mood for a big, dumb, '80s action movie recently...and it doesn't get any more '80s action flick than this:

spacer.png

one of the overlooked films in Arnie's cannon, but a classic in the genre, nonetheless. inane plot, pointless explosions, super high body count, and of course, awesome sarcastic one liners from Arnold. and a big smile came on my face when the old tunes hit "Trapped" by Colonel Abrams started playing in one of the club scenes.

• Like 2

Surprised I never spoke about this film here before. Kenji Mizoguchi's "The Story of Late Chrysanthemums" is amazing. Wondrful set design (standard for Mizoguchi). I appreciate Mizoguchi telling the story and not putting a clear indication of his sympathies. That ambiguity still triggers debates to this day about who the true antagonist of this film is. 

Highly recommended

Edited by Taupe Beats

watched this last night and liked It.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BPM_(Beats_per_Minute)

It's about a.i.d.s in the french gay circle, and how they tried to struggle with the political /social issues around it . and about some struggling with pharmaceutical industries.

(nothing to do with music, despite the title, as one could think first time)

Edited by neurone

1 hour ago, Taupe Beats said:

Surprised I never spoke about this film here before. Kenji Mizoguchi's "The Story of Late Chrysanthemums" is amazing. Wondrful set design (standard for Mizoguchi). I appreciate Mizoguchi telling the story and not putting a clear indication of his sympathies. That ambiguity still triggers debates to this day about who the true antagonist of this film is. 

Highly recommended

Sorry I meant protagonist.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWFZEqf4S913bgn_SPuoq

this doc is basically about the real life derek vinyard except this guy is genuinely clueless. there's an interesting scene where a young girl goes to visit her crush (who's a skinhead) and he spends most of the time asking her whether she'd ever date a man from a different race, and what she thinks of jewish people and her thoughts on adolf hitler. she shakes her head at all three answers then finally asks "are you drunk after all that beer?"

that's pretty much the crux of what's happening here

Edited by Nebraska

Hah

I remember years ago (as in about 15) having a semi drunk chat with an old friend of mine about favourite movies. I remember she told me about a film she had recently seen called The Game with Michael Douglas. Not really one for Michael Douglas films I never bothered with it but for some reason it stuck in my head, she is terrified of clowns and that may of been the reason, but anyway the title wedged in my memory.

So it’s up on Netflix so all these years later finally I watched it late last night. And I didn’t realise it was a Fincher film. I can see it might of been a disappointment after Se7en. But last night I was having a fantastic ride with this movie. And I was guessing all the way to the end. Because I’m not a movie critic I’ll give it a 9/10

• Like 4
  • Burger 1

3 hours ago, Nebraska said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWFZEqf4S913bgn_SPuoq

this doc is basically about the real life derek vinyard except this guy is genuinely clueless. there's an interesting scene where a young girl goes to visit her crush (who's a skinhead) and he spends most of the time asking her whether she'd ever date a man from a different race, and what she thinks of jewish people and her thoughts on adolf hitler. she shakes her head at all three answers then finally asks "are you drunk after all that beer?"

that's pretty much the crux of what's happening here

I remember that one, he gets arrested at the end, right? Buncha hicks out in the woods worshipping Hitler.

30 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

I remember that one, he gets arrested at the end, right? Buncha hicks out in the woods worshipping Hitler.

Spoiler

yes. the end is "his crew" having a meeting about his "unjust" arrest and them vowing to do something about it. the SPLC had a follow up about what happened to some of the kids in the documentary. meanwhile, riccio turned snitch and pedophile

Hausu (House), 1977

It's very hard to find a horror film that combines so many fine arts of cinema as House. You get the typical schoolgirl adventure setup gliding straight into pure, unrestrained horrorshow chaos.

House is a world which is so familiar - with an opening which is pretty much live-action anime. The beauty of this world comes through in the delicate, passionate sense of fantasy that graces every scene. I'm talking about scenes like Gorgeous (yes, that's her name) meeting her father's fiancee and her new mother. The music, the brightly coloured skies in the background of their kitchen, take you to an otherworldly, heavenly place. It's telling you that you're in a fantasy, and these intense - almost intrusive - elements are allowed to exist.

This is how the film continues. The gang come out into the countryside to visit a distant relative. Everything is overwhelmingly cheerful, and it stays that way. So when the horror elements break into view, we still have this child-like sense of discovering new things and overcoming strange problems.

The second half of the film descends into absolute, psychomania, batshit-insane madness. But the atmosphere doesn't change - this horror is so gently interwoven with the characters' sense of wonder, that we let ourselves be taken into it. And there's some horrible stuff going on, it's not for the faint-hearted.

You could praise it for its cinematography (especially its use of shading, to obscure shots without any of that blacked-out frame bullshit when stuff is going on) or its music, which legitimately feels both sweet and innocent, and creepy as fuck. But best of all you get these innovative, surreal, technical camera tricks that live and die especially for mid-70s productions like these.

Get yourself a watermelon, a bottle of sake, and some fried chicken and you are in for a treat.

tl;dr 10/10 live action horror staged like fantasy anime, spielberg-like direction and chimebox music that actually reassures you when things get crazy intense.

Moby_dick434.jpg

every few years i feel a craving to watch this again. it's such an amazing film and everything about it really immerses you into this world where life is incredibly precarious and sea fairing even more ominous (especially given the beginning sermon focusing on jonah). despite it's limitations, this proves to this day, the definitive moby dick retelling, which is pretty remarkable, but it could also be argued this isn't exactly a subject matter most are interested in anymore

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 11:34 AM, thefxbip said:

First word that comes to mind when thinking about this movie (and much of Tarantino movies after Kill Bill) are disjointed and messy. You can still feel Tarantino but the movie as a whole as no continuity or coherence.

The scenes with Brad Pitt in the caravan with his dog were pretty cool i reckon. Same for the actor scenes with Leonardo. But the weird incoherent plot and the Bruce Lee scene honestly just broke the movie for me.

I thought i completely lost faith in Tarantino , im not feeling at all Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds, Django or Once upon a time in Hollywood BUT then i watched Hateful 8 which i  skipped and i really liked it. I thought it had great rhythm and intensity and it let me believe that he still has some movies in him.

What i'll always admire in Tarantino no matter what i must say, is the tremendous passion and enthusiasm he has for movies. It is contagious and it is beautiful to witness.

Finished up this one, had to break it up into a few days because life/time. My initial response was the above - something about the last few flicks of his that seem disjointed (although personally I fell more on the side of liking Django than Hateful 8). One thing that I always forget until I watch a Tarantino film is just how capable of a director he is - say whatever you want about the content, his handling behind the camera (and of his actors) is 2nd to none. 

After thinking about it a bit, I'm actually finding myself liking Once Upon a Time more and more - particularly as I think about it less as a film with a beginning/middle/end (even though there is that) and more as someone capturing a slice of a time. Kind of like, if you could capture the essence of a particular moment and somehow fully communicate that to another human being. Not just what something looked like, but how it actually felt to be there. 

I guess a lot of his films, particularly recent ones, kind of fall into that category, with this one perhaps being the most bold declaration of that. It's such a sunny, dreamy, airy thing - I mean, it was weird. I've had (personally) a really shit couple of weeks, and it's rained here every day for the last 7 days so I haven't seen the sunshine in I don't know when - but watching this thing made me feel utterly light, languid, and dreamy. 

So, yeah, really dug it (with the exception of the Bruce Lee scene which made me almost want to shut it off - though I'm glad to see him later in the movie doing training w/ Sharon Tate etc.). I'm always hard pressed when someone says "name a movie you could always watch and enjoy all the way through" to name one, but I suspect a lot of Tarantino stuff would actually fall into that category. 

10 I want to win the lotto and move to Cali/1 Brad Pitt's dog being the secret star of the movie 

• Like 3