On 8/14/2021 at 1:19 PM, dr lopez said:

i watched 3 last night since it came out. it's wack as fuck and kinda stupid. it looks pretty good but there's a lot of really stupid shit in there. Why couldn't the shinji dystopia just be in his head from his exertions at the end of 2 and he wakes up and it's all ok? Thinking about watching the new one tonight but not sure i'll make it....

The Devil's Playground. Nice little docu from 2002, (generously soundtracked with SAW II tracks) on the Amish youth and their coming of age ritual 'rumspringa', in which they are allowed to experience the outside world in order to decide for themselves whether they wish to remain in the church or pursue a life in the modern world. Rumspringa is effectively spring break proportions of partying and debauchery, leading to some of the kids becoming drug addicts/dealers. For one girl though it leads to genuine self discovery and the chance of a life outside the church. 

Pretty chintzy plot and acting, but I could not get past the plethora of bad wigs. The leisure suits were fake looking, but it was just low budget all around, the acting wasn’t great either. They missed a somewhat interesting story of DeLorean, could have added more 80s music if they had the licensing budget, and not one mention of Back to the Future immortalizing his car design, that would have cost more money as well.

EC42691E-7EDB-4D81-8E97-666A6BFB5482.jpeg

On 8/14/2021 at 10:48 AM, Plum said:

Good to see Yek is getting some extras work tho…

0361CBD1-7DF6-4223-9AB9-B98004D21B76.thumb.jpeg.36c6be84407b2175f1bf52466655b1b0.jpeg

Lol. Wtf...

edit: auto correct fucking with me

Edited by yekker
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 12:13 PM, ooqpoo said:

just watched this, it was a really sweet film! The name of Nic's fine looking hog is Brandy and there's more info on her here https://moviepaws.com/2021/07/17/all-about-the-pig-in-the-new-nicolas-cage-movie/

It doesn't mention the type of hog, but it seems like Brandy could be one of these, a Kunekune ^^

kunekune-4962022_1280.webp

Watched this with my buddy over the weekend. Fantastic. The sort of film that could have easily been terrible if it wasn't so wonderfully acted (by everyone, even the smaller players) and well directed. Incredibly well balanced, not an ounce of fat and yes that's sort of a pork joke but not. I laughed, I cried, I was reminded how damn good Nicholas Cage can be at restrained roles when he wants to be....  

• Like 1

tt15085784.jpg

this was fascinating. dennis nielsen is basically the real life alex delarge to the point of sounding just like malcom mcdowell. he's extremely articulate and well read while remaining incredibly cunning and manipulative. all this is made even more brilliant because neilsen had been killing for years, and nobody had a clue. 

it makes you wonder how many people have killed (for unjust reasons) and gotten away with it that we'll never know of.

I've been watching a lot of '70s/'80s movies that are considered "classics" that I've seen bits and pieces of on TV over the years, but have never actually watched the whole thing. you know, the ones where you think "wait, haven't I seen that? I mean I think I've seen that at some point, right?" and then you dive into the memory banks and realize you actually haven't.

and all these streaming services have made it so much easier. back in the olden days, you'd either have to commit to renting it, buying it used on DVD, or go internet hunting looking for some illegitimate copy.

Raising Arizona (1987) - I had definitely seen quite a bit of it, as many parts were vaguely familiar. zany is probably the word best to describe it. many lols to be had, but definitely not the Coen Bros best.

The Warriors (1979) - NYC classic. much goofier than I expected. I'd always heard it was a disturbing, grindhouse sort of film, but hardly compared to some of the schlock out there. and all these years, I had in my mind that the movie dialogue sampled in Beastie Boys "Professor Booty" was from this film. but nope, had it wrong. looked it up and that was Wild Style.

Going to try and watch Blomkamp's Demonic tonight. Literally every review of this things has panned it so far - basically saying it's some good ideas that are completely underdone by poor scripting, lack of focus, change in tone, lack of payoff, and just being kind of shit. We'll see, will report back after and see if I can save people 2 hrs of their life... 

• Like 2

Pretty generic, the flooded world FX were cool, but it seemed like a failed attempt at sci-fi noir, like Blade Runner meets Strange Days. Jackman's monotone voice is grating after a few minutes.

poster.jpg

14 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Going to try and watch Blomkamp's Demonic tonight. Literally every review of this things has panned it so far - basically saying it's some good ideas that are completely underdone by poor scripting, lack of focus, change in tone, lack of payoff, and just being kind of shit. We'll see, will report back after and see if I can save people 2 hrs of their life... 

Was it worth watching?

19 hours ago, Silent Member said:

Was it worth watching?

Ahhh. Mmph. Ok, I didn't feel like I wanted to kick myself in the balls after I watched it. I know that doesn't sound like a winning endorsement, but given all the terrible reviews feel like its necessary to say that.

It's very ok. I've been thinking about how to describe and what I can come up with it this: if this came on the USA network horror movie matinee when I was 16 on a rainy Sunday afternoon and I watched it I'd be like..  well, not the worst way to spend an afternoon. Its a very mildly entertaining horror flick with a few good ideas, a couple of good jump scares and thats about it. 

My advice. Don't waste the rental fee, wait until it comes to streaming in 2 months and you have a Sunday to kill. Also, get really really high first. 

• Like 2

91lx9CIMHqL._SY445_.jpg

this film was so stupid it inversely turned surreal. the rachels are these girls (on the cover) called rachel (or the rachels) who sort of identify as a solitary group. when one of them is outcast, and the other decides to be seen as an individual- it sends the third into a downward spiral of madness. 

the budget must have been extremely low (there is 1 teach in the entire school and about 8 students?) - and despite the plot (maybe?) seeming interesting, it's filmed incompetently and acted terribly which renders the finished product a hallucinatory assault on the mind. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 9:33 PM, Nebraska said:

tt15085784.jpg

this was fascinating. dennis nielsen is basically the real life alex delarge to the point of sounding just like malcom mcdowell. he's extremely articulate and well read while remaining incredibly cunning and manipulative. all this is made even more brilliant because neilsen had been killing for years, and nobody had a clue. 

it makes you wonder how many people have killed (for unjust reasons) and gotten away with it that we'll never know of.

Saw this the other night as well!

Spoiler

For someone who so meticulously destroyed all evidence to the point where many victims still remain unidentified today, I'm surprised he eventually thought flushing body parts down the toilet was a viable solution. The other thing I noticed was that the doc indicated that Nielsen wanted to be immortalised in film. This already happened in Gerard Johnson's Tony which was at least partly inspired by Nielsen's crimes. And randomly the creepy bunker sequence about Neilsen's grandfather totally reminded me of the incest sequence in The War Zone. Don't know if that was just a creepy coincidence though. 

https://imgur.com/E3OqOdG

Edited by kichiguy

This looks really interesting:

Singaporean movie about a guy whose life is controlled by an algorithm that seeks to maximize his happiness.

Read more here: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/08/review-tiong-bahru-social-club-asks-wont-you-be-my-algorithmic-neighbor/

If you’re in Canada, apparently you can watch it online for $8 at https://fantasiafestival.com/en/film/tiong-bahru-social-club

The rest of us will have to wait, I guess ? 

• Thanks 1