Dude, literally everything I say and do is cringe. I've made my peace with that. 

You ever watch like a Tears for Fears or Depeche Mode video and their un-embarassed sincerity is like 'whoa this is kinda cringe lol' and then maybe you watch it the next day and it makes sob like an idiot and then you realize maybe you're a chronically sarcastic person who's allergic to sincerity and maybe that's worth thinking about? 

I do that alot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had the pleasure of seeing Benedetta today at an advance screening before it drops in December. There were some stuffy catholics protesting outside too, which of course everyone was taking pictures of, thus generating more press for the film. Maybe they were hired by IFC lol.

Very, very entertaining picture. Definitely less satirical than previous verhoeven outings but this definitely served up some laughs and some steamy scenes between the two leading ladies. No major spoilers but let's just say a virgin mary statuette may or may not be put in places it should or shouldn't be put into. I suppose you could force a reading onto the film where Benedetta is Verhoeven himself, and the film is an examination of his career as he looks back now at the age of 83. A main character who steadfastly believes in themselves and their unusual visions so powerfully that their zealous self-belief brings pleasure and success but also strife and misery for others. I was expecting the film to skewer the church brutally, but it's actually much more nuanced. Efira is totally convincing and also very attractive clothed or nude - great performance. Charlotte Rampling was also excellent. Great cast in general. A few sort of clunky CGI moments that maybe exposed the limited budget, but nothing embarrassing. I think I still liked Elle better, but this one is totally engrossing and entertaining start to finish. Verhoeven is quite simply goated.

510bkBeQNdL._AC_SY355_.jpg

if you've been to downtown LA, you've probably wondered what kind of debauchery was shown at the various derelict film theaters scattered around. well, here is one. ab-so-lute scandal. women shaking, writhing and performing unholy gyrations to classic big band jazz. this particular one was filmed at the new follies (now, unfortunately, long gone)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nebraska said:

510bkBeQNdL._AC_SY355_.jpg

if you've been to downtown LA, you've probably wondered what kind of debauchery was shown at the various derelict film theaters scattered around. well, here is one. ab-so-lute scandal. women shaking, writhing and performing unholy gyrations to classic big band jazz. this particular one was filmed at the new follies (now, unfortunately, long gone)

dunno if you're into comics, but your description reminded me right away of The Fade Out - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fade_Out. highly recommended if you're into old '30s/'40s Hollywood noir. the end of each issue includes an essay by someone giving behind the scenes and background info on some of the old films from that era, or recalling events from that period.

31 minutes ago, zero said:

highly recommended if you're into old '30s/'40s Hollywood noir.

my wife really into that, especially the art deco architecture and fashion. i'll check out that comic though. appreciate you recommending it 

btw: that film was part of a double feature with this: basically the same thing. a bunch of top dames dancing around and chucking balls at one another (i kid you not)- then a guy comes out and tells a few jokes before a random bird comes out and shakes her maracas. 

CAF664FD-0783-4349-9FE7-56376EB3FE68.jpeg

Odd film. Expertly filmed, artistically excellent and Mr Washington does a sterling job of holding together what seemed like a really shallow script. The first 45 minutes (maybe an hour)  though nice and pretty to look at is seriously sloth like sloooooow, literally nothing happens at all, then all of a sudden he’s blowing Mexico City into pieces. The film looks amazing, drenched in vibrant colours but the foundation of the film seemed vapid. Though there was a few glimpses of menace, Walken was wasted. Would never watch again 5/10.

(the rave scene is unintentionally hilarious)

Edited by beerwolf

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

Odd film. Expertly filmed, artistically excellent and Mr Washington does a sterling job of holding together what seemed like a really shallow script. The first 45 minutes (maybe an hour)  though nice and pretty to look at is seriously sloth like sloooooow, literally nothing happens at all, then all of a sudden he’s blowing Mexico City into pieces. The film looks amazing, drenched in vibrant colours but the foundation of the film seemed vapid. Though there was a few glimpses of menace, Walken was wasted. Would never watch again 5/10.

Speaking of Denzel… this looks ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Squee said:

This might just end up being the best movie ever made.

to me it looks like easily the worst PTA film. like an expensive excuse to induct PSH's kid into the hollywood rape factory

Edited by dr lopez

12 hours ago, beerwolf said:

I watched this on Sunday. Similar experience to you. I thought it was well filmed, great cinematography. Good soundtrack, even if a on the nose, lots of NIN peppered throughout the film to indicate his mental state. If it wasn't for Denzel I would have switched off. 

The rave scene was hilarious, the apathy of the crowd, cheering the shotgun blasts and still dancing, and people continuing to rave outside while the building burned. 

10 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Speaking of Denzel… this looks ?

This looks fantastic, awesome cast too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dr lopez said:

to me it looks like easily the worst PTA film. like an expensive excuse to induct PSH's kid into the hollywood rape factory

Haha, what?

To me it looks like a Linklater movie made by PTA. Anyway, a trailer is a trailer. But hey, if the movie simply turns out to be a 4 minute version of the trailer then I'm happy.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:37 PM, Squee said:

Everyone needs to watch Malignant. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s brilliant. 

What... what a STRANGE movie. It's either awfully brilliant or brilliantly awful. My opinion vacillates between these two on an almost moment by moment basis.  

On 9/10/2021 at 5:10 PM, Squee said:

Malignant

All the various emotions I went through in chronological order:

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 23.03.44.png

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 23.04.00.png

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 23.04.15.png

billede.png

billede.png

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 23.05.50.png

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 23.07.28.png

billede.png

billede.png

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 23.10.23.png

^ This is perfect. Spot friggin' on. 

3 hours ago, Wunderbar said:

Anyone seen that new squarepusher movie squid game on netflix?

Squid Game and Money Heist are now the most watched series on Netflix, way higher than Stranger Things or Bridgerton. Word.

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

Squid Game and Money Heist are now the most watched series on Netflix, way higher than Stranger Things or Bridgerton. Word.

U sure ? Last time i heard anything about that. I heard squid game was on its way to become the biggest non english show on netflix. Never heard anything about it being the biggest period.

I finished ep 1 of squid game was pretty fun.

24 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

U sure ? Last time i heard anything about that. I heard squid game was on its way to become the biggest non english show on netflix. Never heard anything about it being the biggest period.

I finished ep 1 of squid game was pretty fun.

I’m seeing conflicting articles that seem to be interpreting the data differently. Lupin is also crazy popular.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 1:37 PM, Nebraska said:

Old_film_poster.jpg

this was honestly embarrassing for both cast and crew. not even sure what it was trying to be, but it failed in every aspect. a total and complete waste of time and human resources. 

I think it was like the third line in the movie, the mother goes to the daughter: "I cant wait to hear your singing voice when you're older..."

My eyes rolled so far back in my head

6 hours ago, YELLOW said:

I think it was like the third line in the movie, the mother goes to the daughter: "I cant wait to hear your singing voice when you're older..."

My eyes rolled so far back in my head

Its a shame because I think this movie could have been really good. I loved the premise and thought it could have been a really good existential horror movie (Synecdoche, New York does a similar thing really well). But of course, its M Night so its not going to be done well.  That feeling of time moving much faster than expected hits close to home. 

So idk, I'm still holding out for a good horror movie on aging. Anyone read the comic/manga this movie was based on? I think its called Sandcastle

• Like 1