1 hour ago, zero said:

the best part for me was the acting by Alessandro Nivola playing Dickie. where the hell has this guy been hiding? I thought he was fantastic. 

he never recovered from being Pollux Troy in Face/Off until now.

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

I spent too much of The Many Saints of Newark thinking about who everyone was in The Sopranos. Can't say I was really impressed with it tbh, and my girlfriend even less so. Still worth a watch if you're a Sopranos fan.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I spent too much of The Many Saints of Newark thinking about who everyone was in The Sopranos. Can't say I was really impressed with it tbh, and my girlfriend even less so. Still worth a watch if you're a Sopranos fan.

Yeah, it was hard to spot characters like Jackie Aprile and Arthur Bucco, I turned on the subtitles, and it would indicate who was speaking. I forgot Tony and Janice even had a younger brother. The twist at the end was good though, and makes you question everything Tony ever told Christopher about his father.

John Carpenter's The Fog (1980)

Atmospheric as hell. Loved the coastal vibes. Now I want to live a secluded oceanside life being a lighthouse keeper/easy-listening radio DJ

The Many Saints of Newark (2021)

I really enjoyed it! It's a Dickie story first and foremost, not Tony. It shows us some events that lead Tony to becoming the Tony we know. I think peoples expectations for this may have been too high but I thought it was well-crafted and pretty effective

Edited by YELLOW
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, YELLOW said:

Atmospheric as hell. Loved the coastal vibes. Now I want to live a secluded oceanside life being a lighthouse keeper/easy-listening radio DJ

I really enjoyed it! It's a Dickie story first and foremost, not Tony. It shows us some events that lead Tony to becoming the Tony we know. I think peoples expectations for this may have been too high but I thought it was well-crafted and pretty effective

I also love The Fog. I think it’s a toss between that and Point Break as my most watched film of all time. I’d also love to visit that lighthouse and spin some AFX acid on the decks, watching all the different weather systems approaching. I’d quite happily do that. If money was no object I’d fly to America and visit. That lighthouse and the Going-to-the-Sun road and Overlook Hotel from The Shining are the 3 places from films I would most like to visit.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

I also love The Fog. I think it’s a toss between that and Point Break as my most watched film of all time. I’d also love to visit that lighthouse and spin some AFX acid on the decks, watching all the different weather systems approaching. I’d quite happily do that. If money was no object I’d fly to America and visit. That lighthouse and the Going-to-the-Sun road and Overlook Hotel from The Shining are the 3 places from films I would most like to visit.

I visited the Overlook a few years ago! It’s the Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood. Me and a buddy played the Shining soundtrack as we drove up the road haha, it was epic

• Like 2

15 hours ago, YELLOW said:

I think the fact they’re parading Michael Gandolfini around the talk show circuit has given people false expectations of what to expect. I understand, they’re counting on household names like Gandolfini and Tony Soprano to sell viewers. Alessandro Nivola definitely deserves more credit though.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 5:46 AM, usagi said:

you may enjoy this then

RELIC_KeyArt_3Ladies_FM23+Compressed.jpg

Great recommend, thank you. Intense and claustrophobic, haven't watched a film like this in a while. 

14 hours ago, YELLOW said:

I love the Fog - and most of Carpenter's films - great ghost story, with a classic Carpenter soundtrack. Needs a rewatch, it's been a while. 

• Like 1

Maggie's Plan - a film about people with too much money to have any real problems, written by Arthur Miller's daughter who's married to Daniel Day Lewis, and so the plot and casting and acting all feels like a circle-jerk, like a ponzi scheme that nobody actually believes in but hey the paycheck and networking and bleck

Zero Effect [(3+2i)/pi] - I love this movie and am happy to watch it once or twice a year. I've got a thing for Sherlock Holmes stories in disguise, where Bill Pullman is the drug-addict/musician/neurotic-recluse/consultant and Ben Stiller is his permanently-flummoxed sidekick. I have a deep all-consuming nostalgia for the sorta IFC era of films that were, y'know, 90-minutes and structurally very ordinary, but where the story had some heart and was a little bizarre. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

250px-Mommy_dead_and_dearest.jpg

this was a pretty uncomfortable watch. basically, the worst case of munchausen syndrome by proxy gone south. i really wish the documentary was structured differently as it has a very 'unusual suspects' reveal - downplayed here for a more emotional angle. 

No Time to Die: This was ok. Too long. Maybe visually the best looking one of the series? Some nice set pieces. Might be fun on a rewatch while doing something else, which is the ultimate function of these movies for me. 6.5-7/10

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster: Very good, even if you don't give a shit about the music. The scenes with them writing lyrics together are painful. The new bassist is the hero of the story. 8/10

The Card Counter: This was also ok. Save your time and just rewatch First Reformed. 6/10

15 hours ago, gnarlybog said:

TITANE: France's reply to the Fast & Furious franchise, where a lady fucks a car! twice! For Cronenberg fans. 7/10

spacer.png

I thought Raw was great, so looking forward to seeing this. Missed tickets for the BFI festival, so will have to wait until the New Year.

i tried watching Climate of the Hunter this weekend and it started out decent enough but got worse and worse every few minutes. i gave up halfway through when they started the film school drug trip visuals. i was expecting a bit of weirdness and low budget concessions but it seemed like just bad direction.

many saints was fucking stupid and bad. nothing made sense and lots of really shitty, hamfisted fan service. the guy playing silvio was unspeakably bad. pretty sure this was a troll movie from david chase. a giant middle finger to all the annoying sopranos fans and he gets a huge check from HBO.

On 10/4/2021 at 4:26 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Yeah, it was hard to spot characters like Jackie Aprile and Arthur Bucco, I turned on the subtitles, and it would indicate who was speaking. I forgot Tony and Janice even had a younger brother. The twist at the end was good though, and makes you question everything Tony ever told Christopher about his father.

tony and janice have a younger sister

6056830.jpg

classic slice of 80s mexiploitation about a group of "free spirited" dames that escape from prison in search of a hidden treasure somewhere on the coast. one problem: there's a bunch of dodgy dudes who just happen to be camping at that exact spot.

there's a lot of time wisely spent with the dames as the frolic on the beach without their kit, then things take a very sharp turn towards the beach territory. so much so in fact, it's almost like alex garland just did a complete re-write for his book.

4 hours ago, dr lopez said:

many saints was fucking stupid and bad. nothing made sense and lots of really shitty, hamfisted fan service. the guy playing silvio was unspeakably bad. pretty sure this was a troll movie from david chase. a giant middle finger to all the annoying sopranos fans and he gets a huge check from HBO.

tony and janice have a younger sister

Yeah, watching the reruns I realized that, been a long time but it was fuzzy they had a 3rd sibling.

3 hours ago, Nebraska said:

main-qimg-9be201076adecfc75096bb88ee3316

this was fantastic. i'm a big friedkin fan but this was one of his his i'd always slept on. might have to track down the original film it's based on considering the disaster this famously became for everyone involved

yeah, it's a very good piece I enjoyed very much. But The Sorcerer was not based on Clouzot's WoF film, but rather on the book. It's the author's own interpretation of the book.