This whole cancel shtick has just become a boring marketing thing. Its the same as those people telling you to subscribe to their patreon for uncensored content. It gives people a feeling they are watching something thats not allowed to be watched. excites them or something idk. I found it quite boring how his last special was again about the same topic as his last few where.

1 hour ago, Wunderbar said:

This whole cancel shtick has just become a boring marketing thing. Its the same as those people telling you to subscribe to their patreon for uncensored content. It gives people a feeling they are watching something thats not allowed to be watched. excites them or something idk. I found it quite boring how his last special was again about the same topic as his last few where.

I was pretty shocked when they pulled the d&d episode of community off Netflix and Hulu. I ended up buying the season randomly at half price books on a whim. I’ll probably collect everything like that now. Well- I mean if it’s something I like a lot. I have some Chris Lilley shows on dvd and simpsons season 3 that I won’t sell now. I originally had them listed on eBay, but then I realized those episodes are just gone from the digital world. 

18 minutes ago, Himelstein said:

I was pretty shocked when they pulled the d&d episode of community off Netflix and Hulu. I ended up buying the season randomly at half price books on a whim. I’ll probably collect everything like that now. Well- I mean if it’s something I like a lot. I have some Chris Lilley shows on dvd and simpsons season 3 that I won’t sell now. I originally had them listed on eBay, but then I realized those episodes are just gone from the digital world. 

Pretty sure u can pirate anything if u cant buy it.

The new Venom movie was carnage, I mean garbage. Whoa, was it terrible. And I like Carnage the comic character. Shang Chi was really bad too, and I like Marvel movies (which I know is not common here).

On 10/12/2021 at 5:18 AM, Squee said:

Is it ok to say that I thought Chapelle's new show on Netflix was hilarious or will I get cancelled?

i loved it too. 

Satans-Sadists-1969-55x79-Italian-poster

this was classic. a group of hell raising low life bikers called the satan's bring hell to a (very small) community on the outskirts of los angeles. low budget, low brow and trashy cinema happening right around the same time charlie manson is settling into spahn ranch (and film there too) and starring dr jacoby as the sadists leader. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, milkface said:

Watched Gone Girl yesterday and I'm not sure whether I enjoyed it or not.

I feel like you could easily think about it too much and find a zillion plot holes, but the actual movie is well done, well shot, and it's got a good soundtrack/score. I like it!

• Like 3

94864.jpg

documentary on tony fauci's career drawing parallels to his aids research in the early 80s with his present day manufacturing of the china virus (ahem). lots of conservatives rushed to see this film as reflected in the overwhelming "disappointment" in the portrayal of a true amerikan pariot (?)

rating

35 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

94864.jpg

documentary on tony fauci's career drawing parallels to his aids research in the early 80s with his present day manufacturing of the china virus (ahem). lots of conservatives rushed to see this film as reflected in the overwhelming "disappointment" in the portrayal of a true amerikan pariot (?)

rating

just curious - is ACT UP featured in this?

Just watched Wrath of Man on Netflix. New Guy Ritchie film starring Jason Statham. Entertaining and some over the top violence that made me cringe a bit. I'd recommend it. 

Black Widow. I .... it was fine. A lot of good elements (acting, humor, direction, themes, etc.) that somehow combined into an end product that felt bland and devoid of anything memorable. Felt like a slightly higher budget episode of agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

10 Scarjo hair flips / 13 questionable russian accents 

• Like 3

I saw the new Chappelle.

I don't follow the world of professional comedy - as in the world comedians inhabit between themselves, rather than the actual comedy - or keep tabs on what's happening in the twittersphere or any of that mess. I find it pointless to take sides in cancel culture debates, it's all contradiction. it makes no sense to me to be either fully on the side of people who joke about touchy subject matter with varying intent and methods, or the people who cry on social media about it.

having said that, some things I felt watching the new special:

1. I have big respect for Dave and what he does generally. probably the comedian I have paid most attention to over the years.

2. I had pretty mixed feelings about this special. some parts of it were certainly funny but I found fewer laughs compared to his other recent Netflix ones. maybe it'll improve with rewatches.

3. the LGBT+ stuff he discusses is messy and clearly not his territory. you can still tell funny and mostly harmless jokes about it as an outsider, but I think it was a clear misstep when he said he was on "team TERF". I don't think he really understands what that implies.

4. who cares about DaBaby or JK Rowling or celebrities being cancelled over internet fights?? it's disappointing to hear Dave go on about poor rich showbiz people like they're being starved to death over this stuff.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, usagi said:

I saw the new Chappelle.

I don't follow the world of professional comedy - as in the world comedians inhabit between themselves, rather than the actual comedy - or keep tabs on what's happening in the twittersphere or any of that mess. I find it pointless to take sides in cancel culture debates, it's all contradiction. it makes no sense to me to be either fully on the side of people who joke about touchy subject matter with varying intent and methods, or the people who cry on social media about it.

1. I have big respect for Dave and what he does generally. probably the comedian I have paid most attention to over the years.

2. I had pretty mixed feelings about this special. some parts of it were certainly funny but I found fewer laughs compared to his other recent Netflix ones. maybe it'll improve with rewatches.

3. the LGBT+ stuff he discusses is messy and clearly not his territory. you can still tell funny and mostly harmless jokes about it as an outsider, but I think it was a clear misstep when he said he was on "team TERF". I don't think he really understands what that implies.

4. who cares about DaBaby or JK Rowling or celebrities being cancelled over internet fights?? it's disappointing to hear Dave go on about poor rich showbiz people like they're being starved to death over this stuff.

I’m not a Chappelle apologist, but I think most of the media, the LGBTQ employees at Netflix, and others in the broader audience don’t understand when a comedian assaults the audience. It’s not a popular stance; Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Andy Kaufman, and it usually hurts their career, but it’s an artistic choice, and I do think Dave has some ignorance he’s trying to overcome, but he deals in shock value, as well as activism. So I can see both sides of the argument, and one shouldn’t overthink it, like social media does. Netflix should have explained this better to its employees in the current social environment before it was released, and maybe they learned their lesson going forward.

fair to say, though not all "assaultive" comedy is funny or on the mark when it comes to touchy subjects. also I doubt, given the rabidness of some extremely online wokeists, that any warning or explanation from Netflix would be worthwhile.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 8:04 AM, usagi said:

I saw the new Chappelle.

1. yeah Dave's a living legend at this point.

2. i've only seen some bits from others, i think i maybe watched one of them through? honestly can't remember for sure tho. this one carried me through to the end without getting bored or anything tho (not always the case with any comedian's set, even Dave)

3. he's got some insight into the LGBTQ+ community (not 'original' insight, but nonetheless, he's not just tossing off his first dumb thoughts about it) but very obviously from the outside and with plenty of awkwardness abound. like you said it's def not his territory. his constantly butchering the "LGBTQ+" initialism as a slight dig comes off as a very weak 'annoying uncle joke'. i honestly don't remember the 'team TERF' thing tho i do remember him briefly talking about TERFs, so maybe i missed it or dismissed it. i don't think there's anything about TERFs that deserves siding with or defending, though i'm admittedly pretty out of the loop on much of all those battles. you're likely right that he doesn't fully get what he's saying tho. (not saying that i do either. straight guys who aren't entrenched in that culture drama/war mostly aren't i imagine)

4. lol. i wonder if this is just his sorta over-the-top approach he takes with some stuff, knowing that it's ridiculous 'speaking up' for the ludicrously wealthy...knowing that he's one of that class now (my god did y'all see the parade of behind the scenes/candid photos during the credits of him with dozens of rich and famous people). but maybe he seriously cares idk lol

8 hours ago, auxien said:

his constantly butchering the "LGBTQ+" initialism as a slight dig comes off as a very weak 'annoying uncle joke'.

is this intentional? I couldn't tell, he does it so consistently that I thought maybe it's a persistent brain slip.

8 hours ago, auxien said:

4. lol. i wonder if this is just his sorta over-the-top approach he takes with some stuff, knowing that it's ridiculous 'speaking up' for the ludicrously wealthy...knowing that he's one of that class now (my god did y'all see the parade of behind the scenes/candid photos during the credits of him with dozens of rich and famous people). but maybe he seriously cares idk lol

it's become part of his comeback schtick that he talks about belonging to the wealthy elite now. in some ways it's probably an honest recognition of the fact that he is speaking from a more privileged place than most of his audience, but it can put people offside.

• Like 1

Dave Chappelle: The Closer (2021 TV Special)
Saw a couple of shows now of Chapelle, but it seems I'm not into his comedy (at all).

Rush Hour (1998) (with Jackie Chan)
"A loyal and dedicated Hong Kong Inspector teams up with a reckless and loudmouthed L.A.P.D. detective to rescue the Chinese Consul's kidnapped daughter, while trying to arrest a dangerous crime lord along the way."
Quite enjoyable, but only due to Jackie Chan's acrobatics and Chris Tucker's silliness.

Big Trouble in Little China (1986) (John Carpenter)
"A rough-and-tumble trucker helps rescue his friend's fiancée from an ancient sorcerer in a supernatural battle beneath Chinatown."
Not my cup of tea. In fact, I thought it was terrible. Sorry, I know a lot of people have fond memories of this movie.

They Live (1988) (John Carpenter)
"They influence our decisions without us knowing it. They numb our senses without us feeling it. They control our lives without us realizing it. They live."
Interesting concept. (that's all I liked about it unfortunately)

John Carpenter for me is:
1. The Thing (1982)
2. Lost Themes (2015) ^^
3. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
4. Halloween (1978)

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1