The Green Knight  - Wow. After I watched this the first thing that came to mind is that this is one of those rare beasts, what I would consider a "perfect" film. I don't mean that it is the "best" film I've ever seen or even "favorite" film (though, probably my most favorite film I've watched in some time), but that it perfectly executes on every level the thing that it is supposed to be: cinematography, sound design, direction, action, script, plot. There is not a thing I would add or take away. It is by turns lyrical, phantasmagoric, tender, lewd, terrifying, funny, morose, and liberating. It reminds me of a Romantic poem (and by that I mean something written by the Romantic poets, Keats, Coleridge, Blake, etc.) where each word is both carefully placed but also feels naturalistic, with both emotional overtones and subtleties that belie a very thoughtful underpinning. What a weird, beautiful, strange thing. I loved it.  

• Like 5

Death_of_a_Cheerleader,.jpg

this was amazing. i'm not kidding. imagine if roman polanski adapted this story for lifetime television and not given final cut and forced to cast tori spelling. forget this film and watch this instead. 

nine (easy) cheerleaders out of ten 

Edited by Nebraska
  • Burger 1

EE8D00C6-AF4B-421E-B25C-B379F6C43F4E.thumb.jpeg.56044beb31c54d773f43e675f512e213.jpeg

Watching The Beatles films. Well sort of.

Firstly I’ve never been a huge fan of them, in fact when I was younger I actively despised them. Just because of  a misguided youthful rebellion thing. As I got older I mellowed towards them and could see slightly what all the fuss was about and enjoyed some of their music especially Magical Mystery Tour and parts of The White Album. Anyway here we are, with this new film that everyone is talking about. 

I kind of yawned through the first half hour, then after a few days went back and leapfrogged through the next 2 hours (?) watching 5 minutes then skipping a bit and watching another 5 minutes. Things finally got a bit interesting when George Harrison (easy peasy my favourite of the bunch) told them all politely to fuck off (because as far as I could see they were patronising him, almost mocking him) and got up and left the band. If anything watching this cemented my past dislike of them. I think if you hero worship The Beatles then you’ll like it, because that’s the nature of an obsessive fan, no problem sucking it all up. Whereas I couldn’t give a flying fig about them. 

Doubt I will watch any more of it. Just bored me to tears. 

Edited by beerwolf

On 12/4/2021 at 1:07 AM, yekker said:

I just bought all these today. Only really need Muppets Christmas now. 

20211203_170326.jpg

Er Die Hard though? HELLO!!

On 12/9/2021 at 7:12 AM, beerwolf said:

EE8D00C6-AF4B-421E-B25C-B379F6C43F4E.thumb.jpeg.56044beb31c54d773f43e675f512e213.jpeg

Firstly I’ve never been a huge fan of them, in fact when I was younger I actively despised them. Just because of  a misguided youthful rebellion thing. As I got older I mellowed towards them and could see slightly what all the fuss was about and enjoyed some of their music especially Magical Mystery Tour and parts of The White Album. Anyway here we are, with this new film that everyone is talking about. 

I kind of yawned through the first half hour, then after a few days went back and leapfrogged through the next 2 hours (?) watching 5 minutes then skipping a bit and watching another 5 minutes. Things finally got a bit interesting when George Harrison (easy peasy my favourite of the bunch) told them all politely to fuck off (because as far as I could see they were patronising him, almost mocking him) and got up and left the band. If anything watching this cemented my past dislike of them. I think if you hero worship The Beatles then you’ll like it, because that’s the nature of an obsessive fan, no problem sucking it all up. Whereas I couldn’t give a flying fig about them. 

Paul McCartney is basically the most boring person to ever be married to the person who invented vegetarianism FACT

• Like 1

I saw Venom and it was horrible! Mistakenly thought it was a Scarlett Johanson flick. It is not. For the people who follow this Marvel nonsense that would have been obvious. For me, not so much. But hey, for a Marvel movie I thought it was awful. So that sure should sound positive to the Marvels out there. For anyone hoping for some in depth comments about why it sucked: FU! Don't waste your time even trying.

Score: Waste of money and should be burned to the ground.

How are The Night House and Censor? Got ‘em both cued up 

13 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

I saw Venom and it was horrible! Mistakenly thought it was a Scarlett Johanson flick. It is not. For the people who follow this Marvel nonsense that would have been obvious. For me, not so much. But hey, for a Marvel movie I thought it was awful. So that sure should sound positive to the Marvels out there. For anyone hoping for some in depth comments about why it sucked: FU! Don't waste your time even trying.

Score: Waste of money and should be burned to the ground.

That’s Sony’s mess, lol. But the MCU movies this year have also been crap.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 7:12 AM, beerwolf said:

The first part is the weakest, but it establishes how shambolic and disfunctional the sessions were. The next two parts are much more enjoyable. I wouldn't recommend any of it to someone who dislikes the Beatles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else find themselves skipping through the boring scenes of movies to get to some good shit?  Haha.  A new phenomenon for me.  Not sure if i'm just more impatient with age, or this is a result of the new streaming world that we live in.  The past 3 or 4 movies i've watched I just skip through multiple parts to get to something of weight.

• Big Brain 1

I will only mention my recent highlights:

Short Cuts (1993) - 3 hours flew by. Tom Waits and Lily Tomlin are the best on-screen couple. Altman movies can be hit or miss for me, but this knocked me on my lil tush. 9/10

The Last Duel (2021) It feels like they just don't make em like this anymore. Ridley is the boss (Also, he seems frightening, and looks a bit like my father but I will not go into that right now, you are here for a good time). 8/10

The Beatles: Get Back (2021). Never heard of these cats, but man they can really cook! Basically like being a fly on the wall during a band practice with the Beatles, but better. Yeah its a little long, but have you ever been to a band practice? 9/10

Miracle Mile (1988) This was a really fun discovery. Starts off as some hokey romance and then gets grim (bonus points for a Tangerine Dream score). Was so intrigued by the script that I had to research the writer, who seems like an interesting guy.  8/10 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, gnarlybog said:

Miracle Mile (1988) This was a really fun discovery. Starts off as some hokey romance and then gets grim (bonus points for a Tangerine Dream score). Was so intrigued by the script that I had to research the writer, who seems like an interesting guy.  8/10

Steve de Jarnatt really should have done more films. Miracle Mile is a hidden gem.

edit: Kurt Fuller is hilarious in his small role

Edited by usagi

21 hours ago, usagi said:

Steve de Jarnatt really should have done more films. Miracle Mile is a hidden gem.

edit: Kurt Fuller is hilarious in his small role

Miracle Mile is an all time favorite, multiple copies of the movie and OST, even got the book 

4 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Miracle Mile is an all time favorite, multiple copies of the movie and OST, even got the book 

Been on my "watchlist" for a while, guess I gotta bump it up and watch it soon

• Like 1

The structure of the new Matrix movie has me intrigued: what world are they living in, is the Matrix more like a series of Russian Dolls than an analogue for Alice in Wonderland? Need to rewatch Animatrix beforehand. 

Dune: Part One

I guess I'm somewhat late to the party. First time in a movie theatre since COVID hit. This is like...Star Wars, but more plausible in a real life scenario as well as IDM. Dune as an IP also predates Star Wars. It would be like if Nikola Tesla finally got his long-deserved recognition as the true father of modern electricity after Thomas Edison spent decades taking all the credit. Or is that an unfair comparison..

Whether George Lucas actually read the novel Dune though, I don't know. The similarities could just be a coincidence. Still, best sci-fi film I've seen in quite some time. I also happened to watch it on the 37th anniversary of the original 1984 film's release. It's given me much to think about.

file.jpg

this film is an epistolary of wes anderson obsessions

Spoiler

when i was growing up, i distinctly remember the adrian mole books. the main character was a very interesting kind of nerd because he treated every little thing that happened in his life as though it was some important historic event that needed to be catalogued for futures benefit. eg when the family dog is taken to the vet, the date, time and manner of the dog's treatment is recorded and observed. it insisted on this kind of data collection and i see this film (and most wes anderson films) as sharing that characteristic. 

everything from the dialogue to the art direction to the collection of "things" in the film and of course- the characters. 

• Like 3