16 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

I wanted this movie to go full Jacob's Ladder, they had a novel approach that they wasted almost immediately: do a reboot movie about an actual reboot in this universe, not just an "upgrade". Why make Keanu be Thomas again? Trinity was someone else, so why not make Keanu a random nobody, a real stalker who is convinced Trinity is somehow his soul mate? The walls of his sanity needed to close in on him, I wouldn't even have minded if almost the entire movie took place IRL, and he just had flashbacks of the Matrix, or why not have Keanu wake up in the Matrix and now HE is Agent Smith? Maybe the Matrix is a recurring nightmare he keeps having. Lean into the blue pill/red pill addiction angle, it seemed like a dig at big pharma anyway. Have Neil Patrick Harris be a real analyst, and have Keanu go A Scanner Darkly, and not know what's real and what's fiction. Maybe even Trinity is his real wife, and she's trying to break thru his psychosis and pull him out of it? It could end with Neo realizing he's a real life schlub, going to the daily grind he did every day before he was awakened, then he could have the idea to write a game called The Matrix. The End. 

I thought that was what we were going to get going in.. kinda. I was expecting that 'New Nightmare" approach the Freddy Franchise took with Freddy coming into the real world. But I think if it went this route people would just say that Matrix sacrificed emotion just to have a mindbending plot twist that would ultimately serve nothing. And they would be right.

Edited by Brisbot

I watched Resurrections a second time. I think my enjoyment of it comes from the characters and their emotional struggle through the film. If I didn't like the characters as much as I do, I can see myself not liking the movie. I do feel like the plot is contrived at parts. Like I said they really needed to retcon the human = energy thing, and the reason for Neo and Trinity being together as they are is a weak one, and probably the worst aspect of the movie. If it gets a sequel, they need to add in more 'philosophical depth' in ways that are justified, and recontextualizes this movie in interesting ways.

I would like to see the series take on 'echo chambers' which is especially relevant these days. How people create and believe the reality they want to be true, instead of objective reality. I feel like it was a missed opportunity here. That said Lana is probably making two more movies so maybe it's being saved for those.

Edited by Brisbot

9 hours ago, Nebraska said:

i watched a few interviews with lana wachowski and...

Hide contents

i got the feeling this is more of a commentary of the hollywood system of reboots/remakes i.e. a commentary of how we do things again and again and to mock the that cycle and how it's NEVER the same thing or successful.

my problem with this is how badly even this was done- especially in the fx department. did they purposely have to make those scenes terrible, or is there also a point about not being able to catch lightening twice because everyone involved is not "as good as they were before"? also, was it just me or was keanu more cliche keanu than normal? i think this was a matter of effort and clearly, when lana wachowski says "it wasn't planned. it wasn't orchestrated in any way." 

Love that moment where they hug in the interview. I am basically the guy on the right grinning ear to ear. Lol

Resurrections was endearing. I kinda loved it and also laughed at about 50% of what was happening. It was beyond corny and it didn't feel like it took itself too serious which was a delight.
Keanu is... Keanu. The bathroom scene killed me and my friends.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Squee said:

Resurrections was endearing. I kinda loved it and also laughed at about 50% of what was happening. It was beyond corny and it didn't feel like it took itself too serious which was a delight.

I really enjoy the movie. I'm happy it didn't go off the wall crazy like many people wanted it to. I said this already but it's the characters that made the movie a fun watch for me.

The reason for the bad reviews seem to stem around the fact that people expected more than what was in the movie, which I get. I also understand why it was important to flesh the characters out more emotionally. I think many people wanted it to focus on some crazy matrix twist that would put the original trilogy into another context, but I think the reason they didn't do that was because it would sacrifice the characters from the original trilogy in someway and make the struggles of the characters in the original trilogy seem irrelevant.

Hence why the characters are where they are in Matrix 4. Building off of the original trilogy instead of 're-contextualizing' it in a major way.

Edited by Brisbot

20 hours ago, Squee said:

ftfy

qPUIwH4.jpg

On 12/25/2021 at 3:11 AM, ARPA said:

Pretty good.

It seemed like they gave Adam McKay too much money to make this, it was bloated. The actors were all good, and the meta cringe element was turned up to 11, they did lean into parodying Trump more in the 2nd half, but it was a brilliant approach to an apocalypse film. I kept waiting for Will Ferrell to show up.

• Like 1

Every Christmas I really het into watching movies. So far I've watched tenet, dune, shutter island and American psycho. Next up is either interstellar or scarface since I've haven't seen either before.

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Squee said:

I am so sorry.

Dune was my movie of the year, tenet was okay but definetely not Nolan's best and shutter island was a good watch too. Why are you sorry?

I am so sick and tired of hearing about Lin Manuel Miranda. People talk about him like the second coming of Christ.

He has somehow managed to convince the whole world that musicals are the bomb when we all know that musicals are a fucking nightmare of a genre.

On top of that, if I didn't know any better I would have guessed that the KKK wrote Hamilton because of what they did to hip hop. Fuck. 

6 minutes ago, Squee said:

I am so sick and tired of hearing about Lin Manuel Miranda. People talk about him like the second coming of Christ.

Same. The only time I've ever liked him was when he played himself on curb. He did a very good job of making himself look insufferable there.

• Haha 2
  • Big Brain 1

On 12/27/2021 at 7:15 PM, thumbass said:

Dune was my movie of the year, tenet was okay but definetely not Nolan's best and shutter island was a good watch too. Why are you sorry?

He was goofy and arrogant basically. Then to respond with that shitty gif showed conceit. He'd dug himself into a hole and it was all he had. 

• Haha 1

Watched the new Matrix, God that was atrocious.  Reminded me way too much of 2 and 3 and not enough of 1.  Couldn't even finish it to be honest.

Then saw new Spideyman, it was dope - while a bit too campy at times for me, but i guess one should expect this from MCU.  Completely wiped my memory of that Matrix slander of a movie.

• Like 1