220px-House.of.Gucci.film.jpeg

this was an exceptionally terrible film. everyone here is playing an over-the-top italian speaking english (in an italian accent). lady gaga is so into this i don't think she realizes most of the other cast don't seem to be taking it as serious- eg. al pacino, jeremy irons and adam driver. not sure what leto is doing, but he's really doing it to the max.
despite all the that, the story is boring and the editing is unfocused and clumsy. 

this is a total trainwreck

The_355_poster.jpeg

this was actually worse than house of gucci. the casting here is TERRIBLE and somehow, everyone is made out to look disheveled and aghast whenever doing any action (esp. diane kruger) which is handled by a DP simulating an epileptic seizure. the music doesn't fit and the script is generic and unbelievable in the worst way. 

complete and utter toilet

220px-My_Love,_Don't_Cross_That_River.jp

that poster out of ten

Spoiler

you know exactly what you're getting when that's your film poster. i'm not sure if this is how these guys are when the camera's aren't rolling, but every time they are they're just doing "little lovely nothings" with one another. maybe when you're as old as they are, that's all that's left to do.

Nightmare Alley. I liked it. how tf was del Toro able to get this cast? so many great actors in here all giving killer performances. powerful final scene from Cooper. if you like anything old school carnival or Hollywood noir, then check it out. some of the art deco sets were total eye candy. and I'm really starting to think that Cate Blanchett might be the GOAT. I know she's got Meryl Streep slightly in front of her, but she's not far behind. only issue with this film is it seemed a little long. should of probably been 2hrs instead of 2.5. 

• Like 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4Qkm2PlLVpksUeGswLMG

Haven't read the manga so hard to comment on accuracy in translation, but reading some reviews suggest that the structure is in keeping with the sort of plodding movement of the source material. Lots of reviews also seem to slam this ("oh they wander for a while, fight some dudes, and move on, soooo boring but wait for the finale!") - but, uh, I think they're missing the point. There's a depth to the relationship, turns upon turns of perspective where you start to realize that no character is necessarily the villain (or, also, maybe that no character is even a hero ... which is an even more nihilistic but likely realistic take). 

Apparently also Miike's 100th film which is kinda crazy, ya know? Great to looks at, hyperviolent, though I do wish some of the action was not shot so close up (though, I think that's not necessarily out of character for a film like this). You always know what's happening, don't get me wrong - it's just stylistically a bit different than a lot of Chinese influenced action set pieces.

Def worth watching if you have a spare 2+ hrs, I probably would have watched 13 Ronin instead but this was free on Amazon Prime and I wanted a samurai flick so there you are. 

749/the amount of limbs that were severed in the making of this and that's not really an exaggeration

• Like 3

7 hours ago, zero said:

Nightmare Alley. I liked it. how tf was del Toro able to get this cast? so many great actors in here all giving killer performances. powerful final scene from Cooper. if you like anything old school carnival or Hollywood noir, then check it out. some of the art deco sets were total eye candy. and I'm really starting to think that Cate Blanchett might be the GOAT. I know she's got Meryl Streep slightly in front of her, but she's not far behind. only issue with this film is it seemed a little long. should of probably been 2hrs instead of 2.5. 

strange that it’s on HULU and HBO simultaneously 

• Like 1

Hard to Be A God.

Waited for a long time to see this one and maybe too long but it's like few other things i've seen or know about. Get the snacks in though and get anyone else in the vicinity out of the vicinity. Anyone being within eyeshot will probably result in the terminating 'this might be shite' glance. Will watch again very soon.

• Like 1

This was all over the place, more serious in tone than the other Kingsman films, but not as consistent, and bloated in length. It goes from zany, to extremely cringey, to morose, then back to zany action. Rasputin was the highlight really.

poster.jpg

• Like 1

I've also seen the first two, but the only thing I remember is a fantastic church massacre. I guess they're forgettable fun.

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

Need to get back into watching films, but I’m desperately out of the loop. I might start a thread about it this afternoon, for resource purposes, because I haven’t got a clue where to start. I could go through this thread but would prefer something that just hits the bullseye ? 

Edited by beerwolf

15731-poster-b-uemura-naomi-monogatari-1

i'd never heard about this guy, but i doubt i'll now ever forget him. this is the guy that crossed the arctic alone. actually, with his dogs. he did so with a tent, supplies, a rifle, an ice axe and two radios. a few days into this, a polar bear attacked him. he lost all his food, tent and supplies so he radioed for an airdrop. that would take a few days. the next day the polar bear returned. 

you know how in action films there's always a scene where someone is running and the ground is disintegrating behind him? that happened to this guy. except he was on a sledge his dogs were pulling. half of them died. he rescued the others and floated on a sheet of ice until he found a bridge (made of ice) to escape. 

next level badass out of ten

• Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 12:34 AM, Rubin Farr said:

This was all over the place, more serious in tone than the other Kingsmen films, but not as consistent, and bloated in length. It goes from zany, to extremely cringey, to morose, then back to zany action. Rasputin was the highlight really.

I don't remember much from this movie other than thinking damn, Rasputin is one bad danceslapping motherfucker!

The

Spoiler

son dying in war

was so superfluous though, felt like they're just doing a trope.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nebraska said:

this was interesting. it's a film that plays like it was written (and directed) by people that are unfamiliar with modern society and storytelling for an audience that's extremely juvenile. 

approved for phoebe cates alone

She used to be a real looker

• Like 1

220px-Sweet_sweetback_poster.jpg

loved this film much more than this one, although this one is more of a manifesto than an actual film. sweetback is more of a hero for the disenfranchised minority (the film credits 'the black community' as being the stars). you literally watch sweetback grow up from adolescence to manhood as he lays some pipe to a prostitute before graduating to an modern day urban cowboy. the rest of the 'film' is sweetback's various encounters with prostitutes, hell's angels, hustlers and the fuzz- all while he drops some street knowledge and recounts (or hears?) various warnings, philosophies and commentaries about navigating the fast life on the run

81UHRpBssAL._SY445_.jpg

this was brilliant. the story is rather silly and convoluted but the execution reminded me of what would happen if roman polanski had made a softcore sci-fi b-movie (a rarity for nikkatsu). the first half of the film is dedicated to establishing the genophobic dreams of what-we-assume is our protagonist before delving into something more akin to matthew stokoe or chip delany (that's the beast afternoon part of the title)

• Farnsworth 1