5 hours ago, Squee said:

God. Fucking. Damnit.

I was curious to read the comments on Youtube and I'm amazed at the amount of bot replies.

Also these die hard fans...

billede.png

Dinosaurs in the snow, give me a fucking break. And still no feathers?

• Burger 1

Sure is. Guillermo del Toro is the most overrated director out there.

Edit: well that's just hyperbole, but his movies aren't all that great. There are bits I like in most of them, but the parts never really gel.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

1 hour ago, Silent Member said:

Edit: well that's just hyperbole, but his movies aren't all that great. There are bits I like in most of them, but the parts never really gel.

yeah they often look nice but aren’t really great movies overall. that creature from the black lagoon movie sucked real bad

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, Silent Member said:

Pan’s Labyrinth is still the tent pole in his career - so far at least. I really loved it when it came out. But it doesn’t really hold up. 

• Like 2

On 4/29/2022 at 3:29 PM, Squee said:

Damn.
I mean, I liked it too, but damn, man, haha. I can respect it though. And when take an extra peek at Nolan's Batman movies, they're really not very good. The Dark Knight is a great Joker film and that's about it.

I did fucking love Colin Farrell's take on Oswald Cobblepot. His voice was unrecognisable.

Yeah, I feel like... first Nolan Batman was great because it broke the mold / refreshed the franchise, even if it wasn't the greatest film. Dark Knight  w Joker I do really love, but a lot of that comes down to Heath Ledger being amazeballs. 

This one... yeah, I think it also helps I watched it over 3 evenings (#toddlerlife). If I sat through all at once I might have gotten fatigued. That being said. I guess I just really resonated w the whole trauma/anger/trying to move psst that towards something more like hope/love. 

Omg, I would have had 0 idea it ws Farrell. Apparently Reeves is going to do a whole Penguin series for HBO? That's def intriguing...

You must be one of the most generic twerps I've seen in this hellhole and that's saying something. Go away and watch a film that no one's seen and form your own opinion about it. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Schlitze said:

You must be one of the most generic twerps I've seen in this hellhole and that's saying something. Go away and watch a film that no one's seen and form your own opinion about it. 

That seems .... unnecessarily harsh and pretty unfounded. I think I'm pretty clear about what my opinions are, that they are uniquely my own, with the caveat that what one conceives as self is largely a construct built off of a conglomerate of lived experiences. 

I'd argue that my initial review/opinion of the latest Bats is also fairly counter to a lot of opinions to here which, I think, makes it non-generic (if one defines "generic" as something like normative i.e., in keeping with what everyone else is saying). 

Certainly I didn't mean to offend, though I can't help but feel bit attacked here for no clear reason. I mean, is voicing what one person believes to be a generic opinion is worthy of such ire, I suspect we'd all be spat upon in such a fashion at one time or another. Which is, to say, more than anyone should ever be for voicing their opinion on a blockbuster film. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Squee said:

Pan’s Labyrinth is still the tent pole in his career - so far at least. I really loved it when it came out. But it doesn’t really hold up. 

But there's subtitles! LOL

Early 80s conspiracy flick, Hal Holbrook is totally underutilized, and too much Michael Douglas running. Seriously, what kind of judge runs? An underdeveloped script leads to jarring scene transitions where the barely there plot is fleshed out. Unique to see a judge as a thriller/action hero protagonist, but it doesn’t really go anywhere and apparently bombed at the theaters. The ending feels rushed as well, a duplicitous judge willingly joins a vigilante court, knowing they carry out sentences themselves, then narcs to the cops as soon as they kill the 2 guys he’s been trying to kill the entire movie. This storyline of politicized vigilante judges could be relevant today if they reinterpreted the script; deep state, etc.

E621651D-264E-4C95-8CD3-D83DD9E8A2A2.jpeg

Watched the new Spider Man movie yesterday. I was surprised at how bad some of the scenes looked. I wonder if it has anything to do with it being under production during COVID. But yeah, some of those studio lit scenes looked really bad. But I really enjoyed the abstract visuals during some of the scenes with Dr. Strange.
But why is this film so beloved? It's fine but it's made from the exact same mold that all the other Marvel movies is? It was great seeing Tobey Maguire again, but apart from that it was just your standard Marvel movie which I had actually sworn I would never watch again. Oh well...

Tobey Maguire/10

• Like 1

Yeah, it was pretty bad. It's not the worst Marvel film out there, but it's nothing special. I guess people really really love this meme and recognizing things they've seen before.

spacer.png

20 hours ago, T3551ER said:

That seems .... unnecessarily harsh and pretty unfounded. I think I'm pretty clear about what my opinions are, that they are uniquely my own, with the caveat that what one conceives as self is largely a construct built off of a conglomerate of lived experiences. 

I'd argue that my initial review/opinion of the latest Bats is also fairly counter to a lot of opinions to here which, I think, makes it non-generic (if one defines "generic" as something like normative i.e., in keeping with what everyone else is saying). 

Certainly I didn't mean to offend, though I can't help but feel bit attacked here for no clear reason. I mean, is voicing what one person believes to be a generic opinion is worthy of such ire, I suspect we'd all be spat upon in such a fashion at one time or another. Which is, to say, more than anyone should ever be for voicing their opinion on a blockbuster film. 

you're good man. props for actually responding intelligently to that juvenile post. I know you've been here awhile and probably know this, but that guy's "shtick" is to jump in whenever he feels the need to call people out on here, and say some arrogant asshole BS making fun of them. it was funny maybe back in 2005, when everyone on here was acting about the same way. but most of us board regulars now are what, in our 30's/40's, have kids and shit, and are past the point of acting like anonymous dickheads to each other online. if the only guy you offended is a known troll on this board, then it should be obvious to anyone who the actual loser is.

• Like 4
  • Burger 1

3 hours ago, zero said:

you're good man. props for actually responding intelligently to that juvenile post. I know you've been here awhile and probably know this, but that guy's "shtick" is to jump in whenever he feels the need to call people out on here, and say some arrogant asshole BS making fun of them. it was funny maybe back in 2005, when everyone on here was acting about the same way. but most of us board regulars now are what, in our 30's/40's, have kids and shit, and are past the point of acting like anonymous dickheads to each other online. if the only guy you offended is a known troll on this board, then it should be obvious to anyone who the actual loser is.

Thanks Z. Yeah, I think (for whatever reason) I missed it initially but then I went back and looked at some of his old posts and then I was like "ooooohhhh right." I actually thought about deleting what I wrote because, you know, don't feed the trolls and all that, but then decided I'd leave it. 

I've been the target of random, violent verbal abuse in the past for no ostensible reason - sometimes because, well, I'm a minority. Sometimes, partly because of that "other" status, my defense mechanism has been to placate, which made me a pretty easy target.  So, I guess, in this instance I took a while to process and then responded in a way that felt honest but not yielding. It hurt me, even if it was supposed to be funny, but what I wrote is the sort of measured way I wish that I could have responded in the past (or now). So, I'm leaving it, if for no other reason than to remind me that there are better ways to responding to such things than either a)lashing back out or b)just caving to it. Or saying nothing. 

And, lol, yeah, right? All OG's are now old AF -  this stuff seems like the equivalent of kids calling each other "fags" on Xbox live - maybe understandable for pre-teens who don't really understand what they're saying, but ultimately just kind of shitty and hurtful to anyone who might be the target (or class being used pejoratively) and not something grown ass men should still be doing. 

3 hours ago, _vow_of_silence_ said:

Me, me, me!!!

Anyway it's a trap@T3551ER can't believe u fell 4 it... :trollface: xoxo

Star Wars Adulthood GIF

3 hours ago, beerwolf said:

what zero said

thnx m8 ?

• Like 2

Back OT/palate cleanser: The Night House

Went in with pretty low expectations, left pretty glad I watched it. Rebecca Hall totally makes this one, as it's really a one woman show and she's just fantastic. I think the only other place I'd seen her was in Tales from the Loop and she was good there - and friggin' totally sells it here. Some really excellent audio work and some shit that legit made me rip the headphones off and have to, like, take a few deep breaths. Ending is a slight letdown and you kind of wonder if the Director has a cut somewhere which goes a little more bleak - but when you actually think about the ending and likely chain of future events .... it's still pretty bleak. 

Go in expecting kind of low-level pop horror and you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

8.5 HOL's / 10 but it's actually not really like HOL that much at all so don't go in expecting genius

• Like 1

MV5BZDcyYzgxYjktYjk0ZC00ZjcyLWEwYjEtNTJi

d'amato's 1990 homage to speilberg's horror classic jaws has been described as being better than the original- mainly because it adds a supernatural element to the narrative by introducing an ancient native american story about a spirt that infested a shark and began systematically killing people that were polluting the ocean. this same story sees 4 boys caught up in the action (one guy leaves for college and never comes back so technically it's 3) and their girlfriends. 

a riveting exploration into the darkest recesses of the human psyche

• Like 1

16 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Back OT/palate cleanser: The Night House

Went in with pretty low expectations, left pretty glad I watched it. Rebecca Hall totally makes this one, as it's really a one woman show and she's just fantastic. I think the only other place I'd seen her was in Tales from the Loop and she was good there - and friggin' totally sells it here. Some really excellent audio work and some shit that legit made me rip the headphones off and have to, like, take a few deep breaths. Ending is a slight letdown and you kind of wonder if the Director has a cut somewhere which goes a little more bleak - but when you actually think about the ending and likely chain of future events .... it's still pretty bleak. 

Go in expecting kind of low-level pop horror and you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

8.5 HOL's / 10 but it's actually not really like HOL that much at all so don't go in expecting genius

Sounds great and I'm going to watch it, but what is HOL