^^^ yeah, to be honest i was pretty excited coz we were reminded it going to be the first film he had written and directed in 22 years. 

personally i was just slightly miffed because this was the second film in a row i was going to watch with léa seydoux. she looks like amber heard with a french passport

btw: a quick revision of my analysis of this film is; imagine if crash was about someone obsessed with the plots of existenz and videodrome (instead of car crashes)

Hipster misses point of film and then more hipsters (who haven't seen film) agree because they heard some buzz from other hipsters.

Edited by Schlitze

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

am i really a hipster?

I think all sorts of trippy psycho babble could be spewed out in response to a question like that. 

13 hours ago, Nebraska said:

i thought it was "okay". had some nice calls backs to his previous features and seemed to exist somewhere in the fleshy ExistenZ or Videodrome bodyhorror universe, but i personally enjoyed those other two films much more than this one. 

13 hours ago, Nebraska said:

^^^ yeah, to be honest i was pretty excited coz we were reminded it going to be the first film he had written and directed in 22 years. 

personally i was just slightly miffed because this was the second film in a row i was going to watch with léa seydoux. she looks like amber heard with a french passport

btw: a quick revision of my analysis of this film is; imagine if crash was about someone obsessed with the plots of existenz and videodrome (instead of car crashes)

Ok, perfect, thank you. Have been waiting to hear a "non critic" take on this. @dr lopezseems right that there was a lot.of hype during Cannes and then sort of nothing? 

Not saying I'm not going to watch, just nice to have a sense of what im.walking in to (in particular I'm a pretty massive ExistenZ and Videodrome fan, so a return by Cronenburg to that sort of genre makes my expectations higher than they likely should be). 

:beer:

to my fellow hipsters, this was the film that traci lords had hold her beer:

Pretty_baby_poster.jpg

and it was amazing. it's a fictional account of ernest bellocq told through the eyes of a 12 year old prostitute, and despite that already dodgy premise, it works as a very "uncomfortable" coming-of-age story, eerily made even more sentimental by that ending.

Crimes of the Future

Couldn't get into this at all. I loved the visuals, but my god it was slow. And listening to Viggo Mortensen clearing his throat for an hour and 40 minutes gets a bit annoying. 5/10
Lea Seydoux though. 11/10

8 hours ago, Nebraska said:

beavis_and_butt_head_2022_film_poster.jp

i thought this was great and a worthy "sequel" to b&b do america

I re-watched do america last week and it's still great

9 hours ago, Nebraska said:

beavis_and_butt_head_2022_film_poster.jp

i thought this was great and a worthy "sequel" to b&b do america

Watched this yesterday, Paramount sneaks in a good original movie once in a while. Now do a new animated Aeon Flux movie.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (1999)

Setting was cool. Visuals and animation were well done. But it turned out to be more of a drama than an action flick, kind of like Minority Report was. I guess Akira has permanently spoiled me when it comes to anime.

I wanna see the new B&B next.

Edited by ambermonke
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ambermonke said:

I guess Akira has permanently spoiled me when it comes to anime.

I liked Blame! - it's definitely not Akira either, but nothing is. Others I've liked are Tekkonkinkreet (and not just because of the Plaid OST) and Paprika.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 2

Went for Solaris by Tarkovsky on midnight theater. Highly recommend if you have a chance.

The beginning is honestly weak (Tarkovsky himself considered Solaris his worst movie) but once you get past the first act it's genius. Was great to be able to witness the beauty of a Tarkovsky movie on the big screen.

Changes you.

Went for Solaris by Tarkovsky on midnight theater. Highly recommend if you have a chance.

The beginning is honestly weak (Tarkovsky himself considered Solaris his worst movie) but once you get past the first act it's genius. Was great to be able to witness the beauty of a Tarkovsky movie on the big screen.

Changes you.

Bonker movie.

I recommend watching the Joel Potrykus stuff. 

• Like 2

Rewatched Hateful Eight and it still holds up as one of my fav Tarantino.

I nearly lost all faith in Tarantino post-Kill Bill. Had watched everything except Hateful Eight and nearly hated all of them until my room mate convinced me to watch it and to my surprise it was amazing.

Superb huis-clos thriller. Great screenplay, great sets, great rhythm. 

And good ol' Ennio Morricone with the goosebumps.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Rewatched Hateful Eight and it still holds up as one of my fav Tarantino.

I nearly lost all faith in Tarantino post-Kill Bill. Had watched everything except Hateful Eight and nearly hated all of them until my room mate convinced me to watch it and to my surprise it was amazing.

Superb huis-clos thriller. Great screenplay, great sets, great rhythm. 

And good ol' Ennio Morricone with the goosebumps.

The theatrical cut or the Netflix version?

Yeah, and it's actually better. I think they're planning on turning Once Upon a Time in Hollywood into a mini-series as well. I'd totally be up for spending 4 hours with Rick and Cliff

• Like 3

The thing i really love about The Hateful Eight is the actual weight that violence has in the movie. The rawness of it. It probably wasnt intended to be by Tarantino but for me it feels like an anti-war movie. It is what i get out of this film.

In other movies he makes violence a bit cartoonish but here he takes the logic of an eye for an eye to the limit and shows its full ugliness. Whether it is revenge from a lawful perspective with the hanging of Daisy, revenge from a political and revolutionary perspective with the Major and Chris Mannix, from a ruthless criminal perspective with the gang, the fact that the movie ends up with everyone dying in gruesome and brutal fashion makes you see the whole absurdity of violence and revenge.

I didnt get the same impact from something like Kill Bill or Django because the violence is too frivolous. When the violence actually means something it has way more impact.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Squee said:

Yeah, and it's actually better. I think they're planning on turning Once Upon a Time in Hollywood into a mini-series as well. I'd totally be up for spending 4 hours with Rick and Cliff

Yeah the longer version is better, but all the unexplained disappearing blood stains stands out, lol

Communion (1989)

Pretty bland overall. Walken seems like an alien from outer space at baseline so his descent into madness in this movie didn't seem too outlandish. I picked up on a Burial sample a few minutes into it

communion.jpg

On 6/26/2022 at 6:42 PM, thefxbip said:

Also the way he played at engaging the viewer to have pity for characters and then messing with them showing how much of an asshole they are. Brillant stuff. Love the ambiguity.

I've not seen this film and I had no idea there was a Netflix miniseries.  Gonna see if thats available in the uk.

I watched doctor strange and the multitude of garbage. Sam Raimi tried his best, but with a script like that it's hard work. I still love you Sam. Sam innocent. He great man for worst job.

Someone give him money to make a real film.

Edited by Silent Member
Marvel suck a fuck
  • Like 1