My friend’s girlfriend is obsessed with musicals and has been begging us to watch Dear Evan Hansen for forever. I absolutely despise musicals and has been a strong opponent to this idea. 

Then a couple of weeks ago I got a brilliant idea: I decided to redo the sound design for Dear Evan Hansen and re-edit parts of the movie it to make it watchable.

I made seamless transitions into scenes from Saving Private Ryan, tracked weird parts of the main character’s face and body, made awkward zooms, added extra instruments that are playing in the wrong key and so on and so on. 

It took me about 3 nights to redo it and I almost pissed myself while working on it.

So last night we all got together and I was like, "Ok, let's fucking watch Dear Evan Hansen" and I put on my version of the film and didn’t tell anyone. 
After two quick transitions to people getting shot and blown up my friends were like, “What a crazy decision to buy the rights to add scenes from Saving Private Ryan". They actually fucking believed it was part of the film. My friend’s girlfriend was totally sucked into the film and didn’t say a word.

I started to panic, because she was really into the movie and a couple of minutes away was a not so subtle scene from Saving Private Ryan. I didn't want to piss her off completely, so I made an excuse about the audio being out of sync and said "let me just restart the film" and then put on the correct version of the film.

This was one of the transitions

IMG_4039.MOV

I’ll post more of them later today. 

After we were done watching it I asked them if they didn’t think those clips from Saving Private Ryan were weird and then told them what I had done. Everyone except my friend’s girlfriend loved it. 

• Haha 5

Jerry & Marge Go Large - Somewhat interesting true story, in what must be the whitest town in America. Bland direction & cinematography. 

Father of the Bride (2022) - A (4th) Miami LatinX adaptation of the original book. No jokes, a lot of arguing over caveman notions of masculinity. 

No_Time_to_Die_poster.jpg

i thought this was terrible. it seemed almost like a more emotional parody of james bond just soaked in terrible flat lighting and sterile production design and A LOT of cliche writing (the bad guy talks slowly and maniacally because he's a methodical maniac and that's just how they all talk)

• Like 1

crimes_of_the_future_ver2.jpg

i wish this was an episode of an anthology titled 'crimes of the future' because that way, maybe cronenberg can explore this "future" world rather than just giving us a hint of it's existence like he did with this film.

2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

crimes_of_the_future_ver2.jpg

i wish this was an episode of an anthology titled 'crimes of the future' because that way, maybe cronenberg can explore this "future" world rather than just giving us a hint of it's existence like he did with this film.

Overall, did you like it though? 

I just rewatched The Fly to get my Cronenburg Legs back under me before watching this one, May queue it up this weekend...

2 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Overall, did you like it though? 

i thought it was "okay". had some nice calls backs to his previous features and seemed to exist somewhere in the fleshy ExistenZ or Videodrome bodyhorror universe, but i personally enjoyed those other two films much more than this one. 

• Like 1

yeah all the film dweebs on twitter were gassing it up so hard before it dropped and then it came out and i haven't heard one dot about it which means it was mid to bad

^^^ yeah, to be honest i was pretty excited coz we were reminded it going to be the first film he had written and directed in 22 years. 

personally i was just slightly miffed because this was the second film in a row i was going to watch with léa seydoux. she looks like amber heard with a french passport

btw: a quick revision of my analysis of this film is; imagine if crash was about someone obsessed with the plots of existenz and videodrome (instead of car crashes)

Hipster misses point of film and then more hipsters (who haven't seen film) agree because they heard some buzz from other hipsters.

Edited by Schlitze

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

am i really a hipster?

I think all sorts of trippy psycho babble could be spewed out in response to a question like that. 

13 hours ago, Nebraska said:

i thought it was "okay". had some nice calls backs to his previous features and seemed to exist somewhere in the fleshy ExistenZ or Videodrome bodyhorror universe, but i personally enjoyed those other two films much more than this one. 

13 hours ago, Nebraska said:

^^^ yeah, to be honest i was pretty excited coz we were reminded it going to be the first film he had written and directed in 22 years. 

personally i was just slightly miffed because this was the second film in a row i was going to watch with léa seydoux. she looks like amber heard with a french passport

btw: a quick revision of my analysis of this film is; imagine if crash was about someone obsessed with the plots of existenz and videodrome (instead of car crashes)

Ok, perfect, thank you. Have been waiting to hear a "non critic" take on this. @dr lopezseems right that there was a lot.of hype during Cannes and then sort of nothing? 

Not saying I'm not going to watch, just nice to have a sense of what im.walking in to (in particular I'm a pretty massive ExistenZ and Videodrome fan, so a return by Cronenburg to that sort of genre makes my expectations higher than they likely should be). 

:beer:

to my fellow hipsters, this was the film that traci lords had hold her beer:

Pretty_baby_poster.jpg

and it was amazing. it's a fictional account of ernest bellocq told through the eyes of a 12 year old prostitute, and despite that already dodgy premise, it works as a very "uncomfortable" coming-of-age story, eerily made even more sentimental by that ending.

Crimes of the Future

Couldn't get into this at all. I loved the visuals, but my god it was slow. And listening to Viggo Mortensen clearing his throat for an hour and 40 minutes gets a bit annoying. 5/10
Lea Seydoux though. 11/10

8 hours ago, Nebraska said:

beavis_and_butt_head_2022_film_poster.jp

i thought this was great and a worthy "sequel" to b&b do america

I re-watched do america last week and it's still great

9 hours ago, Nebraska said:

beavis_and_butt_head_2022_film_poster.jp

i thought this was great and a worthy "sequel" to b&b do america

Watched this yesterday, Paramount sneaks in a good original movie once in a while. Now do a new animated Aeon Flux movie.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (1999)

Setting was cool. Visuals and animation were well done. But it turned out to be more of a drama than an action flick, kind of like Minority Report was. I guess Akira has permanently spoiled me when it comes to anime.

I wanna see the new B&B next.

Edited by ambermonke
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ambermonke said:

I guess Akira has permanently spoiled me when it comes to anime.

I liked Blame! - it's definitely not Akira either, but nothing is. Others I've liked are Tekkonkinkreet (and not just because of the Plaid OST) and Paprika.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 2

Went for Solaris by Tarkovsky on midnight theater. Highly recommend if you have a chance.

The beginning is honestly weak (Tarkovsky himself considered Solaris his worst movie) but once you get past the first act it's genius. Was great to be able to witness the beauty of a Tarkovsky movie on the big screen.

Changes you.