On 12/12/2022 at 8:35 PM, Soloman Tump said:

Synchronic by Benson & Moorhead is now on Netflix UK, so i'm finally watching that. 

And after I watched this, I really liked it.  It could have gotten really messy with the time travel stuff but actually it felt quite grounded.  I loved the way the scenes melted during the trips.  Could have been some more weirdness and perhaps more "is this real?" moments but overall I liked it.  They tend to keep their films short and I really like dig that move. Tight editing yet never feels rushed.

Also discovered afterwards they have a brand new film out too and i'm excited to see how this ties into their continuity

y e

• Like 1

15 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Doctor Sleep 

Hmmmph. A bit conflicted on this one. I really enjoyed the novel, and would argue that the Director's Cut of the movie nicely elevates the source material and enhances it in many ways. Flanagan also does an excellent job walking a tightrope between staying true to the spirit of King's vision of the Shining while incorporating callbacks to the Kubrick film that King hates. That deft dance alone is worthy of praise - as is the extremely excellent acting from literally everyone (even minor characters have a depth and groundedness that you often feel in a King novel, but never quite translate to film). 

I think the hard thing here is that Stanley friggin' Kubrick made the Shining. It's a singular vision by an auteur whose style really is inimitable, so any visual callbacks kind of jolt you into remembering, "oh riiiight, the Shining, how fucking bonkers/unreal was that?" Because the rest of the film is decidedly NOT a Kubrick film (that's not a slight - the film doesn't try to be, and that's a good thing), these moments end up inevitably begging comparison which takes you out of the film a bit (or, it did me ... it would have been amazing to never have seen the Shining, watch this, and then watch that). 

I sound pretty dour on this but I'm not - it's one of the best Kind adaptations out there, because a)Flanagan really gets how to take the spirit of King's stuff and translate that into the medium of film, something other people seem to struggle with b)it paces itself out in a way that makes the movie feel like reading/moving through a Kind novel with enough space left for introspection/quieter beats that characterize his work (everyone seems to think it's a mad dash between point a to b to murder in his work but that's not right - it's the spaces in between where you fall in love with his characters that makes the horror stuff so... horrifying). 

Honestly, having done some work as a hospice volunteer, I can't believe how accurate a lot of the early bits are surrounding the way people die. Those conversations are bold and frankly deserve lauding on their own - I can't remember the last time... no, anytime, I saw something in a non-drama that so accurately, directly, realistically, and tenderly addressed the truth of death. Maybe Logan? Anyway, some real truths being thrown down there, and the conversation Danny has about addiction and his trauma's once he gets to the Overlook... another bold move. It's so natural in the moment, but afterwards I can't help but think "how the hell is this in a horror movie?" 

If you watch this, 100% watch the Director's Cut. I think, perhaps, the most exciting thing about this is: Flanagan has basically been making a case his entire career that he should be the person making Stephen King adaptations and now that we know he's been handed the reigns to (more than likely, if it gets funded) make the Dark Tower, I reallllly can't wait to see what he's going to do with that. My guess? Knock it out of the fucking park.  

I enjoyed it. Found it quite easy to disengage it from Kubrick's and just enjoy its fantasy haunted house vibe, which it did well. Good Halloween flick! 

• Like 1

got sucked into watching Don't Look Up. every minute of this I was either thinking "this is gay" or going "ehh this is ok". could have done with less annoying editing.

• Haha 1

Soft & Quiet. The dialogue and vibe of the first quarter or so of the film was really well done, loved the one take feel and the ominous tone of the meeting. After that though it pretty quickly escalated into something a bit too manic (and squawky) for my blood.

50 minutes ago, Danny O Flannagin said:

No fun allowed

Was fun for the first 5-10% then became insanely tedious and drawn out, endlessly cycling through gags and bits with the exact same point. Movie felt 8 hours long. The constant happy endings were cloying and irritating (every possible multiverse is just relationships that work out wow) and the ultimate “it is what it is” acceptance felt completely unearned after like 6 hours of goofy ass action scenes. 

• Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 9:44 AM, Rubin Farr said:

Brilliant, give it a try. I think it’s only on HBO unfortunately. Surround sound is essential.

3D49868F-055E-40DE-9311-208570A498AF.jpeg

2nd'd. I think the way they stealth dropped this directly after Rick and Morty is pretty genius - makes me imagine some utterly stoned college kid leaving this on accidentally and coming back in the room a few minutes later from a smoke break and being like w.t. FFFFFFFFFF

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gnarlybog said:

I willingly submitted myself to this because I like the original and Rob Delaney is a funny guy...
Slightly more enjoyable than laying facedown on a busy road.

spacer.png

billede.png

LOL

Saw avatar 2. The 3D was disappointing seems like it stepped down a notch from the first one, or maybe I had to high expectations. Did something get worse in the 3D projection tech since the first one?

Story is bleh, too long. Has at least one fantastic scene. It's ok overall.

Entertaining, it was pretty much Die Hard 

Spoiler

His backstory was really the interesting part, this version of Nicholas of Myra wasn't born in 270 AD, but more like 900 AD. The flashbacks are really sparse, setting up more in a sequel. My guess is he was cursed with immortality as penance for his warring Viking ways, but whether has was cursed by God, or a magic user is unknown. The fact that he was a Catholic Saint, and has his "Christmas magic" would lead me to assume divine intervention.

violent_night.jpg

Finally dragged myself around to watching The Northman, thanks to a nasty bout of food poisoning. I loved The Witch and The Lighthouse but this movie was meh af. 

Ethan Hawke & Nicole Kidman bad bad accents / 10 

Also, why did Bjork say yes to that completely forgettable role?

Abatap : The Way of Blank Checks

Me, my S/O and another couple a few rows down were the only ones in the theater. Comfy start. After 20 minutes two retards showed up, sat themselves three seats to the right of us, talking constantly and using their cellphones. After a few please's and hey buddies it didn't stop, I brought staff, at which they took great offense and started whining, one even barked at my S/O to shut the fuck up. So I gave him a death stare and told him to watch his fucking mouth. I sat with pumped adrenaline levels for about an hour waiting for shit to hit the fan because you can't be 6 strangers in a public space without at least one person being an inconsiderate asshole. They did reluctantly shut up for the rest of the movie though. I'm never going to the cinema again.

Movie was tight though. The visuals were of course great at the Waterworld tech demo parts, some other bits looked like they've been in development hell for too long. Big machines on the big screen is always fun, and the action is good and nasty which balances out all the Kumbaya new age padding (it's loooong). Music score was too rehashed from the first, so boring. Worth seeing before it ages. Story kinda so-so, your typical Jim Cameron shlock. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 1:25 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

Finally dragged myself around to watching The Northman, thanks to a nasty bout of food poisoning. I loved The Witch and The Lighthouse but this movie was meh af. 

Ethan Hawke & Nicole Kidman bad bad accents / 10 

Also, why did Bjork say yes to that completely forgettable role?

Ahh shit I was hoping it'd be good I too loved the witch and lighthouse. What made it worse than the other too?