Watched this place rules.Maybe I expected too much from this. It was allright. Too unfocused, felt more shallow than his usual output tbh. It was still a fun watch. The Q-anon bits were amazing.

Watched Barbarian. Maybe I expected too much from this. It was allright. I had heard so much hype about how mind blowing this was, and I took precautions to not get anything spoiled, but eh. It's fine.

18 hours ago, YELLOW said:

First watch tonight for this one. It remains kinda obscure despite the names attached to it, but it’s on HBO right now. The “trivia” says that Aphex played at the party scene at the end, how true do we think that is…

One of the local art-house theatres was showing Strange Days in 35mm on New Year's Eve. It kicked ass, even more on my second viewing, probably better this time because it was on a big screen. Why does nobody talk about this movie: It has a great cyberpunk-lite setting, it has perfect 90s sci-fi movie characters and aesthetic, it's packed with ideas and politically relevant themes. It's James Cameron/ Katheryn Bigelow, why did this flop?

I caught Aftersun a few days ago and was surprised how much I loved it. It's about as understated as you can get and it works so well. One of the best child performances I've ever seen too.

7 hours ago, Silent Member said:

Watched Barbarian. Maybe I expected too much from this. It was allright. I had heard so much hype about how mind blowing this was, and I took precautions to not get anything spoiled, but eh. It's fine.

I agree with you on Barbarian. I think the first half was flawless in building some great scares. Second half derails hard though. My take on why this was hyped: people are starving for popcorn horror flicks in October that don't suck.

Edited by chemick
Barbarian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chemick said:

One of the local art-house theatres was showing Strange Days in 35mm on New Year's Eve. It kicked ass, even more on my second viewing, probably better this time because it was on a big screen. Why does nobody talk about this movie: It has a great cyberpunk-lite setting, it has perfect 90s sci-fi movie characters and aesthetic, it's packed with ideas and politically relevant themes. It's James Cameron/ Katheryn Bigelow, why did this flop?

saw that in high school, i liked it. messed up movie tho, should be obvious why most people wouldn’t want to see it

On 1/2/2023 at 1:37 AM, Squee said:

Also, god damn that white naked boy with dreads was annoying.

he's in the thumbnail of all the articles about the movie and i think the trailer on youtube too and every time i see a story w/that thumbnail of him smiling w/the dreads i think "Wtf that looks so awful in every way" and it looks stuck in a previous era.. like the 90s maybe when trends were heavy with clothing styles and haircuts. 

Started watching glass onion last night but only got half way through before getting too tired and going to bed (parenting with covid will do that)… but I like it more than the first one so far! Very zany, which I appreciate. Not enough zaniness in movies these days. Last “zany” movie I feel like I saw was Barb & Star Go To Vista Del Mar, which was hilarious.  

38 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Started watching glass onion last night but only got half way through before getting too tired and going to bed (parenting with covid will do that)… but I like it more than the first one so far! Very zany, which I appreciate. Not enough zaniness in movies these days. Last “zany” movie I feel like I saw was Barb & Star Go To Vista Del Mar, which was hilarious.  

barb & star was great and I will stand behind that to my grave.

i didnt care for glass onion. i wasnt invested in the people, wasnt really sure what the whodonit even was until it was all explained in the middle and was generally kind of bored with it.

23 hours ago, exitonly said:

saw that in high school, i liked it. messed up movie tho, should be obvious why most people wouldn’t want to see it

If you're warned about the incredibly dark sexual assault scene(s) then that makes sense. Having that in the middle of an action sci-fi was really off-putting the first time I watched it. Still one of my favorites from the 90s though.

On 1/5/2023 at 7:22 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

Started watching Black Phone on the plane but was way through when we landed. Entertaining, disturbing, definitely not high art. Still, the main kids in it definitely carry the film and are good enough to have me want to continue watching. Surprised to see Ethan Hawke in such a disturbing character role. I can’t imagine being an actor and grounding that kinda thing. 

14 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Finished Glass Onion. Fun flick worth watching / 10. 

Also finished Black Phone, which I started watching on the plane. It wasn’t great. Lots of logical leaps. It’s basically a creepy movie to watch when you’re out of options. I kinda take back what I said about the kids being good actors after a really bad fake-cry in one of the later scenes. Still, 70s period art direction is on point. 

Edited by J3FF3R00

On 1/8/2023 at 12:14 AM, chemick said:

One of the local art-house theatres was showing Strange Days in 35mm on New Year's Eve.

One of my favourite sci-fi/speculative future films, love it. Great cast, very underrated; yes, there's some nasty stuff, but that's the point, it's supposed to show the gritty, awful side of life contrasted with technology; cyberpunk is high tech, low life.

Edited by dcom

11 minutes ago, Squee said:

Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain

This is the one where they deepfaked Bourdain's voice. Started to watch a few days ago, but interrupted due to sleep. Will watch later.

Edited by dcom

2 minutes ago, dcom said:

This is the one where they deepfaked Bourdain's voice. Started to watch a few days ago, but interrupted due to sleep. Will watch later.

Yeah, it is. Insanely well done! But with the hundreds of hours of VO recordings they have with him the result should be nothing less but great.

1 minute ago, Squee said:

Yeah, it is. Insanely well done! But with the hundreds of hours of VO recordings they have with him the result should be nothing less but great.

I loved to watch everything Bourdain did, and I was genuinely sad when he died - I don't care much about celebrity deaths, but Bourdain's caught me unawares.

spacer.png

Don’t bother with this one unless your curiosity is killing you. It’s a bit of a bore. I think the biggest issue is that engineering a fictional narrative involving Poe as a character is opening up the possibility of the story somehow being Poe-like in nature… which it obviously falls far short of, naturally.
It’s all pretty dry and only really has the one story arc with hardly any interesting characters except bale and poe, but they are still pretty one dimensional. 
oh and it looks like it’s going to be scary but there are zero scary things in it. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

damn, I was planning to watch that one. I still will probably. Bale has basically been that type of guy in at least 5 different movies now.

• Like 1

The Irishman - about 30 minutes too long, and Pacino looked nothing like Hoffa, but the non-speaking family was hilarious. A nice reunion of the 3 Scorsese principal actors, but it wasn't really remarkable. 

• Like 2